When do you take down Christmas decorations?

Started by Martinus, January 04, 2015, 03:11:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

When do you take down Christmas decorations?

After Christmas (Catholic/protestant)
1 (3%)
After New Year
13 (39.4%)
After Epiphany
8 (24.2%)
After Christmas (Orthodox)
0 (0%)
After Candlemass
0 (0%)
Around/on Ash Wednesday
0 (0%)
Never (they stay on all year long)
1 (3%)
I don't decorate for Christmas
10 (30.3%)

Total Members Voted: 33

Martinus

Ideologue

I don't even know what some of those holidays are.  Epiphany?  Candlemass?
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Monoriu

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

celedhring

After Epiphany, that's when Christmas finishes here in Spain.

MadBurgerMaker

Just took them down today.  My wife wanted to leave them up until after epiphany, whatever that is, but the weather is going to go back to being shitty tomorrow, so meh.

Martinus

Quote from: Ideologue on January 04, 2015, 03:22:20 AM

Epiphany aka the Twelth Day of Christmas aka Feast of Three Wise Men is 6 January. It is a public holiday in some Catholic countries (including, since 2011 or so, in Poland).

QuoteThe Presentation of Jesus at the Temple, which falls on 2 February, celebrates an early episode in the life of Jesus. In the Eastern Orthodox Church and some Eastern Catholic Churches, it is one of the twelve Great Feasts, and is sometimes called Hypapante (Ὑπαπαντή, lit., "Meeting" in Greek). Other traditional names include Candlemas, the Feast of the Purification of the Virgin, and the Meeting of the Lord

In Polish Catholicism Candlemas is a traditional end of the Christmas period.

Martinus

Quote from: MadBurgerMaker on January 04, 2015, 04:39:01 AM
Just took them down today.  My wife wanted to leave them up until after epiphany, whatever that is, but the weather is going to go back to being shitty tomorrow, so meh.

Well, Epiphany is in two days so it didnt make much of a difference. :P

PJL

You take them down before Epiphany, otherwise it's bad luck.

Capetan Mihali

I don't know; when you leave the lights up all year, it sort of becomes a metaphysical question when you take them and when you put them up. :hmm:

Now when do you turn on and turn off your electric reindeer and white "icicle" lights, that's a tricky one.
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

Ideologue

Quote from: Martinus on January 04, 2015, 05:02:57 AM
Quote from: Ideologue on January 04, 2015, 03:22:20 AM

Epiphany aka the Twelth Day of Christmas aka Feast of Three Wise Men is 6 January. It is a public holiday in some Catholic countries (including, since 2011 or so, in Poland).

Get back to work!
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Grey Fox

After New Year, usually the 3. This year they were taking down on the 1st. I also took down the exterior lights, something I usually do in the spring when the snow is all gone but this year the snow was already gone.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Josephus

As an old world Catholic, I used to wait until Epiphany.
Now it seems I do it sooner each year.
I think I spent Jan.1 cleaning up and removing Christmas stuff.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Agelastus

Quote from: PJL on January 04, 2015, 05:24:24 AM
You take them down before Epiphany, otherwise it's bad luck.

Depends which day you consider Twelfth Night to be (it can be either the 5th or 6th January depending on your traditions.)

Ours will come down on the 6th, as always.
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."