When do you take down Christmas decorations?

Started by Martinus, January 04, 2015, 03:11:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

When do you take down Christmas decorations?

After Christmas (Catholic/protestant)
1 (3%)
After New Year
13 (39.4%)
After Epiphany
8 (24.2%)
After Christmas (Orthodox)
0 (0%)
After Candlemass
0 (0%)
Around/on Ash Wednesday
0 (0%)
Never (they stay on all year long)
1 (3%)
I don't decorate for Christmas
10 (30.3%)

Total Members Voted: 33

MadBurgerMaker

Quote from: garbon on January 04, 2015, 10:55:54 PM
The few decorations I have stay up all year (which also applies for my Halloween ones). It is a good thing that I've never set up my nativity set as that'd be up all year too. -_-

What kind of decorations are we talking about here?

garbon

Quote from: MadBurgerMaker on January 04, 2015, 10:57:33 PM
Quote from: garbon on January 04, 2015, 10:55:54 PM
The few decorations I have stay up all year (which also applies for my Halloween ones). It is a good thing that I've never set up my nativity set as that'd be up all year too. -_-

What kind of decorations are we talking about here?

Really small ones - knick knacks really. 2 black santa clauses and a nutcracker.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Brazen

When I was a kid they'd go up on Christmas Eve and stay up until epiphany/12th night, but now I get sick of them by 2nd January and take them down the same day I empty the fridge of seasonally inappropriate food.

But then I only have an 18" plastic tree and LED lights from the 99p shop.

Martinus

Well, I only have a small tree (the picture of which I posted in the Cat Megathread) and a similarly sized reindeer made of pinetree branches (which I initially thought was a doggy). They are already starting to lose needles, so will throw them out after Tuesday.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Caliga on January 04, 2015, 10:54:49 PM
The only decorations we bothered with this year are a wreath on the front door that my mother made and a Cthulhu wreath we hung above the fireplace.  Both are still up and I dunno when Princesca will take them down.  :hmm:

You think the effrontery of the wreath will enrage Cthulhu enough to make him eat you first?  :hmm:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

KRonn

I took mine down New Year's day, which is usually about when I do take them down. I leave up the Christmas wreaths on the doors for a while as they make a good winter wreath.

celedhring

Just had a chat with my mother regarding this issue, and after being informed of Candlemas she's decided she'll take them down by then; she loves setting up intrincate Christmas decorations and nativity scenes so she'll use any excuse to keep them up.

Martinus

Quote from: celedhring on January 07, 2015, 05:30:39 AM
Just had a chat with my mother regarding this issue, and after being informed of Candlemas she's decided she'll take them down by then; she loves setting up intrincate Christmas decorations and nativity scenes so she'll use any excuse to keep them up.

Did you mention the tip came from a gay ex-Catholic Polish lawyer and a gay Catholic British lawyer?  :lol:

celedhring

Well, she's Catholic and she's fine with gays. She's more likely to be bothered about me conferring with lawyers.

Martinus

Quote from: celedhring on January 07, 2015, 05:57:23 AM
Well, she's Catholic and she's fine with gays. She's more likely to be bothered about me conferring with lawyers.

I was alluding more to the credibility of the source. :P

celedhring

When it comes to pomp and decorations, I can hardly picture better sources than Catholic gays.  :P

Sheilbh

Quote from: Martinus on January 07, 2015, 05:51:50 AM
Did you mention the tip came from a gay ex-Catholic Polish lawyer and a gay Catholic British lawyer?  :lol:
I'm going Anglo-Catholic nowadays.

Because the Catholic Church is just too frumpy :lol:
Let's bomb Russia!

Monoriu

Actually, our management company does not allow Christmas decorations on the apartment doors or in the corridors.  But people still do it.  As long as the decorations aren't too large, the security guards turn a blind eye.