When do you take down Christmas decorations?

Started by Martinus, January 04, 2015, 03:11:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

When do you take down Christmas decorations?

After Christmas (Catholic/protestant)
1 (3%)
After New Year
13 (39.4%)
After Epiphany
8 (24.2%)
After Christmas (Orthodox)
0 (0%)
After Candlemass
0 (0%)
Around/on Ash Wednesday
0 (0%)
Never (they stay on all year long)
1 (3%)
I don't decorate for Christmas
10 (30.3%)

Total Members Voted: 33

Josquius

I don't know what half of those terms mean.
My mam follows some rule about when the 3 kings went home or Somehing...
I find decorations still being around now rather silly. It should be done 28th or so. Though I don't bother at all, there is no point
██████
██████
██████

Maladict

The tree gets taken out shortly after Epiphany. I usually leave a candle or two around until daylight saving time.

CountDeMoney

Mom begins the multi-day process sometimes the middle of the first week of January.  It's a major logistical effort involving plastic bins, label makers and both parents, one of which really doesn't want to be there.

I don't really decorate, so for me the holiday season usually ends when the Xmas cookie tins are finally empty.

sbr

The Christmas decorations got fewer and fewer the older the kids got.  I haven't hung lights outside for about 3 years and we haven;t gotten a tree the last two.  Mom was horrified that we weren't getting a tree at first but I think she has come to accept it.

Ideologue

Quote from: Tyr on January 04, 2015, 09:10:28 AM
I don't know what half of those terms mean.

It's Romanism, rebellion, and rum talking.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Sheilbh

Quote from: celedhring on January 04, 2015, 04:26:57 AM
After Epiphany, that's when Christmas finishes here in Spain.
Same here, except the Christmas decorations should be down by Epiphany. So probably tomorrow.

Otherwise it's bad luck unless you leave them up until next Christmas :lol:

Though according to Wiki it used to be Candlemass, from a 17th century poet:
'Down with the rosemary, and so
Down with the bays and mistletoe;
Down with the holly, ivy, all,
Wherewith ye dress'd the Christmas Hall'
Let's bomb Russia!

CountDeMoney

Quote from: CountDeMoney on January 04, 2015, 10:26:35 AM
Mom begins the multi-day process sometimes the middle of the first week of January.  It's a major logistical effort involving plastic bins, label makers and both parents, one of which really doesn't want to be there.

Actual conversation about 10 minutes ago with Pops:

"Breaking down today?"
"Yeah."
"Well, you know, traditionally..."
"Don't give me that bullshit."

katmai

After new year, but as I'm not home they won't be coming down till after I get back now.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Norgy

Tradition here says either 13th day of Christmas or 20th day of Christmas.

I've put up no decorations, so I will just  :nelson: to those who brought pine, fir or plastic trees indoors.
You probably don't even have a fireplace, do you?

dps

For me, pretty much any time after New Year's Day that I'm off work and want to bother with it.

This year, I happened to have this weekend off and nothing else in particular to do, so they came down yesterday.

Back in the late 90s, when I was single and living out in the middle of nowhere, I pretty much got out of town on my days off if I possibly could, so one year I think the decorations were still up around the end of March/start of April.

PDH

I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

schaksen

Formerly known as Gumby, this was/is my pdx nick

Valmy

I took them down yesterday.  It is whenever I can get to it after new years.  I used to take it down the weekend after Christmas but my wife insisted I start waiting until after New Years.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Caliga

The only decorations we bothered with this year are a wreath on the front door that my mother made and a Cthulhu wreath we hung above the fireplace.  Both are still up and I dunno when Princesca will take them down.  :hmm:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

garbon

The few decorations I have stay up all year (which also applies for my Halloween ones). It is a good thing that I've never set up my nativity set as that'd be up all year too. -_-
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.