News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

25 Hottest Skills of 2014 on LinkedIn

Started by Syt, December 22, 2014, 07:44:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

For those seeking to optimize their profile on the network:

http://blog.linkedin.com/2014/12/17/the-25-hottest-skills-that-got-people-hired-in-2014/

QuoteBelieve it or not, 2014 is almost over and 2015 is right around the corner. With a new year comes new opportunities, and around this time we at LinkedIn are typically asked the following question: "Who's getting hired and what are they doing?"

To get to an answer, we analyzed the skills and experience data in over 330 million LinkedIn member profiles. If your skills fit one of the categories below, there's a good chance you either started a new job or garnered the interest of a recruiter in the past year.

In addition, we took at look at the top skills in several countries including Australia, Brazil, Canada, France, India, the Netherlands, South Africa, United Arab Emirates, the United Kingdom, and the United States. Each country's top 25 skills are included in a SlideShare below. A few skills trends stood out to us when we reviewed the results.

Investing in STEM. In the ten countries we looked at, science, technology, engineering, and math (STEM) skills made up the majority of our top 25 list. While most of these could be labeled as "tech" skills, more traditional STEM skills like mechanical, electrical, and materials engineering made our list in many countries.

Data. Data everywhere. We live in an increasingly data driven world, and businesses are aggressively hiring experts in data storage, retrieval, and analysis. Across the globe, statistics and data analysis skills were highly valued. In the US, India, and France, cloud and distributed computing skills were in particularly high demand.

It pays to know a second language. Internationalization and localization services are valued by companies that operate globally. As such, language translation skills were among the top 25 hottest skills in many countries. But nowhere did they rank higher than in the United States, where in 2010, according to US Secretary of Education, Arne Duncan, only 18% of Americans claim to speak a language other than English.

Rise of the technical marketer. In 2012, Gartner analyst Laura McLellan predicted that by 2017 CMO's would be spending more on technology than their CIO colleagues. With digital, online, and SEO (search engine optimization) marketing skills in our global top 25 this year, there's strong evidence that this prediction may be coming true.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Monoriu

The only one I can remotely claim to have is foreign language translation, and between Chinese and English only  :lmfao:

Everything else are black holes to me :weep:

Caliga

Quote from: Monoriu on December 22, 2014, 07:51:06 AM
The only one I can remotely claim to have is foreign language translation, and between Chinese and English only  :lmfao:

Stop failing at relevancy please. :)
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Eddie Teach

You've been doing a bang-up job at social media marketing.

:shutup:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

mongers

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Syt

Quote from: mongers on December 22, 2014, 08:08:42 AM
Statistical Analysis and Data Mining.  :hmm:

A temporary fad until it can be fully covered by computer programs.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Zanza

Quote from: Syt on December 22, 2014, 08:15:35 AM
Quote from: mongers on December 22, 2014, 08:08:42 AM
Statistical Analysis and Data Mining.  :hmm:

A temporary fad until it can be fully covered by computer programs.
I am sure these are people that can tell the computer programs what to do. Building a "Big Data" analytic model takes a lot of common sense in addition to mathematical skills, so I don't think these people will be replaced by computers that fast. Intuition etc. plays a role in deciding which data might be linked. It's not just cracking numbers.

Grey Fox

The CoOp students( fancy words for interns) have all been claiming on how their university is not teaching them C/C++ enough since they consider it an old & dead programming language.

These schools runners are idiots.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Caliga on December 22, 2014, 07:52:13 AM

Stop failing at relevancy please. :)

HEY NOW

Caliga

I knew you'd show up in the thread with guns blazing Seedy  :cool:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

CountDeMoney

celedhring

English to Spanish translating has been one of my steadiest sources of income these past 2-3 years, truth be said.