News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Xmas 2014 - The Languish Way.

Started by mongers, December 22, 2014, 06:39:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caliga

Quote from: Martinus on December 25, 2014, 05:01:30 PM
I don't get the "well, make amends, after all, they are family" attitude. Spend time with people you like - if they happen to be people whom you are related to by blood, great. If not, find other people.
+1
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Eddie Teach

Thing is, if they're family they've got to put up with you as well.  :P
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Caliga

Not an issue.  I'm an excellent person.

Caliga

Quote from: Caliga on December 24, 2014, 09:05:51 PM
Cal's Loot Thus Far:

silicone five-fingered BBQ gloves
a marinade injector
three bags of peanut M&Ms
a new Gillette Fusion ProGlide
a pair of Allgauer trachten knee socks
Loot Part Two

wireless BBQ thermometer
wanderhut hat pin
PS4 wireless headset
DNA kit for my dog
cash from dad-in-law

derspiess

I got the wife a Chromebook.  She doesn't realize how inexpensive they are; I'll probably wait a week before I tell her how good of a deal I got on it.

I got Tommy his Red Ryder BB gun.  And I believe Lola now has every piece of Frozen merchandise ever made.

I received a modest haul, but I get more enjoyment out of watching the kids open up their stuff anyway.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

mongers

Quote from: derspiess on December 26, 2014, 09:33:17 AM
I got the wife a Chromebook.  She doesn't realize how inexpensive they are; I'll probably wait a week before I tell her how good of a deal I got on it.

So you're planning on taking the shine* off here new present.  :hmm:

* Tarnished book?
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

derspiess

Quote from: mongers on December 26, 2014, 09:37:45 AM
Quote from: derspiess on December 26, 2014, 09:33:17 AM

So you're planning on taking the shine* off here new present.  :hmm:

* Tarnished book?

Not necessarily.  She's feeling guilty because she didn't spend as much on me as she thinks I spent on her (and technically she's right, just not by a large margin).  Wouldn't kill her to learn how to deal with a little guilt :ph34r: but I don't want it to go on forever.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

garbon

Highlights of Christmas

Meeting my very distant Australian cousin.

Playing with my cousin's youngest daughter who is so cute despite the fact that she decided to kill me with her sword when play was over.

My aunt giving me a signed copy of the latest Anne Rice book.

Warm, sunny weather. :)
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

FunkMonk

Ayn Rand on Christmas:

Quote[In answer to the question of whether it is appropriate for an atheist to celebrate Christmas:]

Yes, of course. A national holiday, in this country, cannot have an exclusively religious meaning. The secular meaning of the Christmas holiday is wider than the tenets of any particular religion: it is good will toward men—a frame of mind which is not the exclusive property (though it is supposed to be part, but is a largely unobserved part) of the Christian religion.

The charming aspect of Christmas is the fact that it expresses good will in a cheerful, happy, benevolent, non-sacrificial way. One says: "Merry Christmas"—not "Weep and Repent." And the good will is expressed in a material, earthly form—by giving presents to one's friends, or by sending them cards in token of remembrance . . . .

The best aspect of Christmas is the aspect usually decried by the mystics: the fact that Christmas has been commercialized. The gift-buying . . . stimulates an enormous outpouring of ingenuity in the creation of products devoted to a single purpose: to give men pleasure. And the street decorations put up by department stores and other institutions—the Christmas trees, the winking lights, the glittering colors—provide the city with a spectacular display, which only "commercial greed" could afford to give us. One would have to be terribly depressed to resist the wonderful gaiety of that spectacle.

The Objectivist Calendar, Dec. 1976

Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

The Brain

Quoteproducts devoted to a single purpose: to give men pleasure.

:wub:
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Ideologue

QuoteOne would have to be terribly depressed to resist the wonderful gaiety of that spectacle.

-_-
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Martinus

Quote from: FunkMonk on December 26, 2014, 11:29:56 AM
Ayn Rand on Christmas:

Quote[In answer to the question of whether it is appropriate for an atheist to celebrate Christmas:]

Yes, of course. A national holiday, in this country, cannot have an exclusively religious meaning. The secular meaning of the Christmas holiday is wider than the tenets of any particular religion: it is good will toward men—a frame of mind which is not the exclusive property (though it is supposed to be part, but is a largely unobserved part) of the Christian religion.

The charming aspect of Christmas is the fact that it expresses good will in a cheerful, happy, benevolent, non-sacrificial way. One says: "Merry Christmas"—not "Weep and Repent." And the good will is expressed in a material, earthly form—by giving presents to one's friends, or by sending them cards in token of remembrance . . . .

The best aspect of Christmas is the aspect usually decried by the mystics: the fact that Christmas has been commercialized. The gift-buying . . . stimulates an enormous outpouring of ingenuity in the creation of products devoted to a single purpose: to give men pleasure. And the street decorations put up by department stores and other institutions—the Christmas trees, the winking lights, the glittering colors—provide the city with a spectacular display, which only "commercial greed" could afford to give us. One would have to be terribly depressed to resist the wonderful gaiety of that spectacle.

The Objectivist Calendar, Dec. 1976

Funny how that reads pretty much like those parodies of her.  :lol:

Ideologue

I dunno. Other than the specific word choice, it's pretty sensible. Production and happiness. I can get on board with that.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

celedhring

Highlight of Christmas: my mother reconciling with her sister after their relationship broke down completely early this year.

That, and my Italian uncle's homemade limoncello.

Ideologue

Quote from: celedhring on December 26, 2014, 06:35:04 PM
Highlight of Christmas: my mother reconciling with her sister after their relationship broke down completely early this year.

I GET IT.  STOP GUILTING ME.

(Just kidding.  That's good to hear. :) )
Kinemalogue