News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Ancient Babylonian Music

Started by Queequeg, December 14, 2014, 06:48:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheilbh

Quote from: Archy on December 23, 2014, 06:36:21 AM
In Dutch Knecht is "servant". bit funny that knight & knecht evolved from the same root  :)
I was always told middle english sounded more like Dutch than current English.
Certainly when I read it, but then we had a Dutch professor :lol:
Let's bomb Russia!

Caliga

Quote from: Grinning_Colossus on December 21, 2014, 02:38:22 AM
There is possible evidence of Inca naval expeditions as far as Easter Island, but sadly no torpedo boats. :(
:D

Now that I think about it more I think Crunchy might have tried to argue that a navy of all torpedo boats would be more effective than a conventional navy with capital ships, etc. because the torpedo boats could swarm the enemy and overwhelm it. :hmm:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

The Brain

Well they are Incan after all, not Incant.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Caliga on December 23, 2014, 07:32:18 AM
Now that I think about it more I think Crunchy might have tried to argue that a navy of all torpedo boats would be more effective than a conventional navy with capital ships, etc. because the torpedo boats could swarm the enemy and overwhelm it. :hmm:

I remember that part.  I have a feeling he might have been arguing with grumbler.

What I can't remember is how he made the leap to the Incas.

The Larch

In Spanish the word for knight is "caballero", meaning something akin to horseman but nowadays used to mean gentleman.

Caliga

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 23, 2014, 08:11:41 AM
What I can't remember is how he made the leap to the Incas.
I feel like somebody else did that for him.  It seems like something Otto or Seedy would have done.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Syt

Quote from: The Larch on December 23, 2014, 08:14:28 AM
In Spanish the word for knight is "caballero", meaning something akin to horseman but nowadays used to mean gentleman.

Like chivalry in English, or Kavalier in German.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.