News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Ancient Babylonian Music

Started by Queequeg, December 14, 2014, 06:48:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Queequeg

QuoteTo my knowledge, that is true. "Carabela" is a type of small boat in Spanish (the one Columbus used in his first voyage), at the very least.
Huh.  Isn't it "caravel" in Spanish?
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Queequeg

Quote1520s, from Middle French caravelle (15c.), from Spanish carabela or Portuguese caravela, diminutive of caravo "small vessel," from Late Latin carabus "small wicker boat covered with leather," from Greek karabos, literally "beetle, lobster" (see scarab). Earlier form carvel (early 15c.) survives in carvel-built (adj.).

Hmm.  This was not what my Phonetics professor told me, but this was back in 2008 and my memory might not be completely accurate. 
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

The Larch

Quote from: Queequeg on December 15, 2014, 11:31:30 AM
Say what? Basque and Spanish are nothing alike, and in no conceivable way do they sound alike. Basque sounds like fucking Klingon.

Also, while there was undoubtly some Basque-Castillian mixing early on I don't think that Basque influence was as great as you describe it, and you might be making the relatively common mistake of foreigners to associate the Kingdom of Navarre with Basqueness, which it was not.
You grew up knowing one language and being familiar with the other.  I've heard quite a bit of Basque, and I think the sound inventory sounds vaguely similar to Spanish. The structure very clearly isn't though, which is what you might be hearing.  The vowel system is basically the same.   

And I don't really think so.  Navarre was ethnically mixed, but I think its ethnic core was Basque.  IIRC Castile was settled partially by people from Asturias, and presumably some of the reconquered area would have had some remaining Mozarabic Romance-speaking population.

If you say to somebody from Navarre that their ethnic core is Basque there is a not insignificant chance that you'll end up lynched.

Jacob

Quote from: The Larch on December 15, 2014, 01:18:07 PM
If you say to somebody from Navarre that their ethnic core is Basque there is a not insignificant chance that you'll end up lynched.

:lol:

"Wanna see my ethnic core, baby?"  :perv:

Caliga

Quote from: grumbler on December 15, 2014, 08:02:56 AM
Quote from: Caliga on December 15, 2014, 07:45:40 AM
I have no idea who that is. :huh:

Character in Game of Thrones.
That would explain why I don't know who it is then. :)
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

garbon

Quote from: Jacob on December 15, 2014, 01:25:51 PM
Quote from: The Larch on December 15, 2014, 01:18:07 PM

"Wanna see my ethnic core, baby?"  :perv:

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Queequeg on December 14, 2014, 07:13:28 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on December 14, 2014, 07:07:17 PM
It's not clear if the song presented is Afro-Asiatic or not.  If it's Sumerian it isn't, if it's Akkadian or Assyrian it is releated to Arabic.  Still it probably doesn't sound like much like original language.  Like someone in reading a Russian song without any understanding of Russian.
Babylonian would presumably Akkadian, but Akkadian was very strongly influenced by the native Sumerian so I'm guessing it would sound quite a bit different from the quite conservative Afro-Asiatic languages of the deep desert.

Interesting theory but the link says this song was in Hurrian.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Queequeg on December 14, 2014, 11:05:58 PM
Quote from: Grinning_Colossus on December 14, 2014, 10:27:06 PM
How much do we even know about Sumerian's genetic relationships?
Generally speaking nearby mountain populations are going to be a lot more conservative.  Eastern Arab populations are going to reflect 1,400 years of the Arab slave trade and 3,000 years of migration of nomads from the deep desert, the steppe and Europe.  They'd probably look like Caucasians.  I think there's actually some evidence for this; Jews outside of the Beta Israel and Kaifeng populations (who have been, at least legally, endogamous for 2,500 years) are pretty closely grouped with Armenians and Turks.  There's also some evidence that Sumerians migrated to their core area from the north IIRC.

I'm confused here - is the question what the Sumerians might have looked like?  Because then the subsequent activities of nomads and slave traders would not be relevant.  (?)

Also - what is the evidence of Sumerian migration?  I had always understood Sumerian origins to be unknown.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

garbon

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on December 15, 2014, 02:19:30 PM
It's not clear if the song presented is Afro-Asiatic or not.  If it's Sumerian it isn't, if it's Akkadian or Assyrian it is releated to Arabic.  Still it probably doesn't sound like much like original language.  Like someone in reading a Russian song without any understanding of Russian.
Babylonian would presumably Akkadian, but Akkadian was very strongly influenced by the native Sumerian so I'm guessing it would sound quite a bit different from the quite conservative Afro-Asiatic languages of the deep desert.

I thought the link just said she was assisted by someone whose "notable blurb" is that they had composed music for that Hurrian hymn.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Agelastus

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on December 15, 2014, 02:19:30 PM

The article says she was guided by the work of another music scholar who'd come up with a score for a Hurrian song*, the "Hymn to Nikkal"; the music in the link is an adaptation of another piece, "The Flood", presumably from an Akkadian version of the legend (although the article is unclear on this.)

*More accurately, judging by the link provided, came up with an interpretation of the known ancient score. So if she interpreted it incorrectly then the "influence" is incorrect as well.
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

The Minsky Moment

Ah I see it is all very unclear in the article.  The Babylonians used both Sumerian and Akkadian while at the same time speaking another language, so without further specification I don't know what to think.
--Joan Robinson

Queequeg

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on December 15, 2014, 02:22:16 PM
Quote from: Queequeg on December 14, 2014, 11:05:58 PM
Quote from: Grinning_Colossus on December 14, 2014, 10:27:06 PM
How much do we even know about Sumerian's genetic relationships?
Generally speaking nearby mountain populations are going to be a lot more conservative.  Eastern Arab populations are going to reflect 1,400 years of the Arab slave trade and 3,000 years of migration of nomads from the deep desert, the steppe and Europe.  They'd probably look like Caucasians.  I think there's actually some evidence for this; Jews outside of the Beta Israel and Kaifeng populations (who have been, at least legally, endogamous for 2,500 years) are pretty closely grouped with Armenians and Turks.  There's also some evidence that Sumerians migrated to their core area from the north IIRC.

I'm confused here - is the question what the Sumerians might have looked like?  Because then the subsequent activities of nomads and slave traders would not be relevant.  (?)

Also - what is the evidence of Sumerian migration?  I had always understood Sumerian origins to be unknown.

I'm saying that they might have looked more like, say, Mandeans or Assyrians than a lot of Muslim Mashriq Arab populations.  As to origin of the Sumerians-I think a lot of the first relatively complex cultures of the ME are a bit further north.  The Halaf Culture, for instance.  Gobekli and whatnot are in contemporary Turkey.  I guess it's up for debate if the development of Sumer reflected migration or adoption and expansion of the "agricultural package" (domestication, pottery, beginnings of urban life.) 

The Minsky Moment

Their language isn't related to that of any of the likely exodus points and of course there is really no affirmative evidence of migration (that I know of).

In the lack of better evidence I would assume they were aboriginal.
--Joan Robinson

Queequeg

Problem there is that there's no possible source of linguistic evidence.

I've heard some really vague reference to there being some proof of a substrate in Sumerian.  I also don't know if there's evidence that the Hurrians are native-there's some vague reference to their connection with modern North East Caucasians which could point either way.