And we're back!

Main Menu

Ancient Babylonian Music

Started by Queequeg, December 14, 2014, 06:48:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ideologue

Quote from: Queequeg on December 14, 2014, 11:12:55 PM
IDK if that's accurate.

You can construct some basics of pronunciation of dead languages and "Babylonian" has a fairly close descendant in Assyrian.   

Here's what a Sumerian might have looked like:

:wub:

Get your own dad.

Seriously, it looks like my dad. :unsure:
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Queequeg

Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Ideologue

No wonder my dad likes Badlands so much.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Queequeg

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 14, 2014, 11:16:30 PM
IDK if that's accurate.

TOTALLY INCORRECT
Kids are sane and will try to spell words how they are pronounced. 

As a kid you had to learn that "knight" was spelled "knight" and not "niit". 

We have records of kids learning languages, or people who are not fully brainwashed in to spelling things stupidly.   From this it's not that difficult to map changes in pronunciation or practical matter of how a language was spoken.
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Queequeg on December 14, 2014, 11:19:05 PM

We have records of kids learning languages, or people who are not fully brainwashed in to spelling things stupidly.   From this it's not that difficult to map changes in pronunciation or practical matter of how a language was spoken.

So when we see that a kid spelled ">>>^^" as ">>^^", we know what exactly about the pronounciation?

Queequeg

We can see change.

The thing I remember most is the Russian formation of "okanye"-basically, Russians stopped giving a fuck about almost every vowel in the language that wasn't stressed.  So good, "khorosho", is pronounced "kharasho" not "KHOROSHO".  People started making this mistake around the time of the Mongol conquest and indicates a big shift in the language.  A lot of things like this have happened in English, I just don't know the rules as well. 

Queequeg

Also foreigners don't give a shit about how the word they are borrowing is spelled.

Early Slavic boat is "karabl", from the early Byzantine Greek "karabel."  This means that the Slavs were interacting with Greek speakers who had ships prior to the time the Greeks lost the "b" phoneme and merged it with "v" (Russian "Vasilij" is the Greek name "Basil" because it was introduced later.)

Grinning_Colossus

The coolest cognate that I encountered this week was Angra Mainyu = 'angry man.' :)
Quis futuit ipsos fututores?

Razgovory

Quote from: grumbler on December 14, 2014, 10:03:28 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on December 14, 2014, 07:46:50 PM
Well, Spellus sucked any fun out of the subject.
Once a thread is thoroughly Razzed, it's dead.  At least Spellus makes it sound like he knows something other than what he read on Wikipedia right before posting.

Say what you will, you never admit a strategy has failed.  You have tried to get everyone on this board to ignore me for what?  4 years now?  Hasn't worked.  We don't even have an ignore function anymore, and you still try.  I have a feeling I will be long dead and buried and you'll still be trying to convince people to ignore me.  At least then you'll have some success.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Razgovory

Quote from: Grinning_Colossus on December 14, 2014, 10:27:06 PM
How much do we even know about Sumerian's genetic relationships?

It has none.  It's a language isolate.  This is sort of like a person who speaks Japanese trying to sing authentic Etruscan by studying church Latin.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Razgovory

Quote from: Queequeg on December 14, 2014, 11:32:18 PM
Also foreigners don't give a shit about how the word they are borrowing is spelled.

Early Slavic boat is "karabl", from the early Byzantine Greek "karabel."  This means that the Slavs were interacting with Greek speakers who had ships prior to the time the Greeks lost the "b" phoneme and merged it with "v" (Russian "Vasilij" is the Greek name "Basil" because it was introduced later.)

Is that related to the English word "caravel"?

Queequeg

Quote from: Razgovory on December 15, 2014, 12:23:42 AM
Quote from: Queequeg on December 14, 2014, 11:32:18 PM

Is that related to the English word "caravel"?
Obviously.  Guessing through the Sicilians or Venetians with Spain as an intermediary, but that's a guess. 

Martinus

Quote from: Queequeg on December 14, 2014, 11:19:05 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 14, 2014, 11:16:30 PM
IDK if that's accurate.

TOTALLY INCORRECT

Only this is a great example of the opposite - because outside of English, no other kid in any other language would spell "knight" as "niit". In most continental European languages "niit" would be phonetically pronounced as "neet". Which proves you cannot deduct pronunciation from phonetic spelling unless you already know the pronunciation of the language in which the word was spelled phonetically - which kinda defeats the purpose.

jimmy olsen

Phonetically knight would probably be spelled nite.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point