News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

What's your favourite unknown movie ?

Started by Oexmelin, June 15, 2009, 05:09:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

grumbler

They Might Be Giants (Anthony Harvey, 1971)  This is one of the most mysteriosly "unknown" movies of which I am aware.  I don't think I have ever met anyone who saw it unless I nudged them.  Stars George C. Scott and Joanne Woddward, made by the same team that made The Lion in Winter three years before, and virtually unknown.  :huh:

Scott is a NYC retired judge who thinks he is Sherlock Holmes, Woodward is Dr. Mildred Watson, a psychiatrist assigned to his case, so you can see where this is going.  They search for Moriarity through the  "forgotten people" of New York (played by an ensemble of brilliant character actors like Jack Gilford, M. Emmet Walsh, and F. Murrey Abraham (who debuted here and didn't really get starring roles until Amadeus many years later).

Brilliant flick.  Has humor, pathos, and and surprisingly uplifting philosophy in the right mix.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Capetan Mihali

Since both Sheilbh and CdM have mentioned it, I guess it doesn't qualify but Naked is one of my favorites as well.

Wanda, a 1970 movie by Barbara Loden (Elia Kazan's wife at the time), is one that I've watched repeatedly and enjoy more every time, even though it is a pretty bleak tale of ennui and armed robbery in and around Scranton, PA.

More recent ones that come to mind:

Werckmeister Harmonies, from 2000: A circus featuring a whale carcass arrives in a small Hungarian town.  Mass violence ensues.

Ratcatcher, from 1999: Depicts a boy's life in Glasgow housing projects during the Scottish garbage strike of the mid-70's.
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

Sheilbh

Have you seen the Jen Genet directed short film Mihali? 

Can't remember what it's called but I quite enjoyed it.  It's silent.  It's major themes are homosexual desire and prison.
Let's bomb Russia!

Scipio

Quote from: grumbler on June 16, 2009, 01:59:57 PM
They Might Be Giants (Anthony Harvey, 1971)  This is one of the most mysteriosly "unknown" movies of which I am aware.  I don't think I have ever met anyone who saw it unless I nudged them.  Stars George C. Scott and Joanne Woddward, made by the same team that made The Lion in Winter three years before, and virtually unknown.  :huh:

Scott is a NYC retired judge who thinks he is Sherlock Holmes, Woodward is Dr. Mildred Watson, a psychiatrist assigned to his case, so you can see where this is going.  They search for Moriarity through the  "forgotten people" of New York (played by an ensemble of brilliant character actors like Jack Gilford, M. Emmet Walsh, and F. Murrey Abraham (who debuted here and didn't really get starring roles until Amadeus many years later).

Brilliant flick.  Has humor, pathos, and and surprisingly uplifting philosophy in the right mix.
That movie is sheer fucking genius.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

BuddhaRhubarb

Quote from: saskganesh on June 16, 2009, 01:22:24 PM
Quote from: BuddhaRhubarb on June 16, 2009, 11:26:35 AM
Quote from: saskganesh on June 16, 2009, 06:48:03 AM
hard core logo?

Deserves wider recognition... is the "Goin Down The Road" of the modern age.

apparently 4 sequels are/were planned. is Bruce MacDonald George Lucas? or does he just want to escape directing "queer as folk" and "degrassi next generation" rent gigs

I think I heard he was filming a sequel now or soon ( 1 is stupid, but 4? that's retarded. Tv series maybe?  Same ending as movie every episode? :bleeding: )
:p

grumbler

Quote from: Scipio on June 16, 2009, 06:14:30 PM
That movie is sheer fucking genius.
Agree, but ask again why it should be so unknown. Superstar cast, superstar production team (hell, it is one of five or six "Newman's Own" movies) and yet unknown.  Weird.  It's like the Bermuda Triangle sucked it in or something.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 16, 2009, 12:01:23 AM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on June 15, 2009, 08:39:11 PM
Not Xanadu is it?
Couldn't tell you.  Parents own a pub, the chick walks a tightrope in the pub, she has a crush on the music exec, he turns out to be gay.  Is that Xanadu?

I dunno, I quit watching after 20 minutes. 80s musical, had Olivia Newton-John and Gene Kelly and some young dude who was the main character.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Syt

Quote from: Brazen on June 16, 2009, 06:13:54 AM
"I bought a Vampire Motorcycle" starring the late, great Michael Elphick. Contains possibly my favourite movie line ever, "I haven't had a cunt all night, Drinkstable."

That the one with Anthony Daniels as priest?
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on June 17, 2009, 12:25:08 AM
I dunno, I quit watching after 20 minutes. 80s musical, had Olivia Newton-John and Gene Kelly and some young dude who was the main character.
[Zohan]Nonononono[/Zohan]  Mine had a cast of no names.

Malthus

I'm a big fan of Koyaanisqatsi, though I'm not sure how "unknown" it is - many I mention it to have not heard of it, but it is very influential. Speeded up and slowed down camera work, music by Philip Glass.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

saskganesh

Quote from: BuddhaRhubarb on June 16, 2009, 09:36:40 PM
Quote from: saskganesh on June 16, 2009, 01:22:24 PM
Quote from: BuddhaRhubarb on June 16, 2009, 11:26:35 AM
Quote from: saskganesh on June 16, 2009, 06:48:03 AM
hard core logo?

he's got ideas, including one sequel involving the teenage kids of the band and another which is a prequel. I checked IMDB and nothing appears to be in production. I assume he's just throwing it out there, to see if he can raise the booty.
Deserves wider recognition... is the "Goin Down The Road" of the modern age.

apparently 4 sequels are/were planned. is Bruce MacDonald George Lucas? or does he just want to escape directing "queer as folk" and "degrassi next generation" rent gigs

I think I heard he was filming a sequel now or soon ( 1 is stupid, but 4? that's retarded. Tv series maybe?  Same ending as movie every episode? :bleeding: )
humans were created in their own image

Threviel

Photographing Fairies, about a photographer traumatized by the death of his wife that tries to photograph some fairies- I don't know why I like it, but it's a great movie anyway.

PDH

I always enjoyed "Our Mr Sun" filmstrip in gradeschool. 
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Maladict

Quote from: Malthus on June 17, 2009, 08:23:35 AM
I'm a big fan of Koyaanisqatsi, though I'm not sure how "unknown" it is - many I mention it to have not heard of it, but it is very influential. Speeded up and slowed down camera work, music by Philip Glass.

I've seen it ages ago, liked it.
Have you seen the sequels? I've often wondered if they measure up/add something new.

Malthus

Quote from: Maladict on June 17, 2009, 11:22:49 AM
Quote from: Malthus on June 17, 2009, 08:23:35 AM

I've seen it ages ago, liked it.
Have you seen the sequels? I've often wondered if they measure up/add something new.

I haven't - I heard that they don't measure up (i.e., too blatantly plugging a "message"). Someday I'll check them out though.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius