News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

What's your favourite unknown movie ?

Started by Oexmelin, June 15, 2009, 05:09:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scipio

Ostrov (Lugin, 2006).  A movie about a weirdly ascetic Russian hermit at a Russian monastery, who is believed to have mysterious healing powers and human insight.  Takes place in the brezhnev era. 
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

Queequeg

Quote from: Scipio on June 15, 2009, 05:52:57 PM
Ostrov (Lugin, 2006).  A movie about a weirdly ascetic Russian hermit at a Russian monastery, who is believed to have mysterious healing powers and human insight.  Takes place in the brezhnev era.
Good.  Tarkosky-ish.

Sheilbh, how long is Cherry?  Been meaning to go on an Iranian Film binge recently, is Cherry the place to start? 
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Martinus

Does "Gods and Monsters" count as "unknown"? What about "Velvet Goldmine"? I'm also quite partial to "Were the World Mine", but it's more of a "guilty pleasure" kind of fave.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Martinus on June 15, 2009, 06:00:08 PM
Does "Gods and Monsters" count as "unknown"? What about "Velvet Goldmine"?

No. No.

Admiral Yi

Some Australian musical about an aspiring singer whose title I have forgotten.  Early 80s.  Starstruck?  Something like that.

Martinus

Also (to contradict my earlier rebuke of Queen Mother's pick), anything with Tilda Swinton in it. :wub:

Sheilbh

Quote from: Queequeg on June 15, 2009, 05:55:32 PM
Sheilbh, how long is Cherry?  Been meaning to go on an Iranian Film binge recently, is Cherry the place to start?
Oh it's only one and a half hours.  I love it and think it's probably one of the most accessible. 

Though I really recommend Where is the friend's house? which is a beautiful film.  Then watch Life, and Nothing Else which is a semi-fictional film set in the same area a couple of years later after a devastating area and Through the Olive Trees which is about the filming of Life.  After a Kiarostami binge I recommend Mohsen Makhmalbaf and his daughter's films.  They are very good.
Let's bomb Russia!

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 15, 2009, 06:02:33 PM
Some Australian musical about an aspiring singer whose title I have forgotten.  Early 80s.  Starstruck?  Something like that.

Not Xanadu is it?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Tonitrus

Quote from: Scipio on June 15, 2009, 05:52:57 PM

Indeed, a very film.  The religious themes are layed on a bit thick(not a complaint, just an observation, though I imagine it would turn many viewers off), but still, just a very well done film.

DisturbedPervert

The Man from Earth -  A bunch of college professors sitting around talking when one reveals that he is 14,000 years old, and the subsequent discussion this claim results in.

BuddhaRhubarb

"4" contemporary Russian film that one could only vaguely categorize as Lynchian but if David Lynch had grown up in Russia. Messed up but mesmerizing.

Any David Gordon Green film before Pineapple express.
:p

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on June 15, 2009, 08:39:11 PM
Not Xanadu is it?
Couldn't tell you.  Parents own a pub, the chick walks a tightrope in the pub, she has a crush on the music exec, he turns out to be gay.  Is that Xanadu?

Syt

Probably Karniggels; a film ca. 1990 by German movie maker Detlev Buck about a young police cadet in rural Holstein struggling with his life. It's a good comedy; and though Buck's later movies (esp. "Wir können auch anders", a road movie about two illiterate East Germans and a deserted Red Army soldier) are arguably better movie making Karniggels give a pretty accurate portrayal of people in the area where I grew up. :lol:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Lettow77

Kidnapped, a pbs literarary cinema thing.
It can't be helped...We'll have to use 'that'