News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

What's your favourite unknown movie ?

Started by Oexmelin, June 15, 2009, 05:09:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Richard Hakluyt

"Unknown" and "favourite" are somewhat contradictory but I will post my choice anyway.

Which is The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0036112/

It's a 1943 British war movie with, gasp!, a sympathetic German character.

I'm not sure how unknown it is, but strongly recommend it to the board.

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 16, 2009, 12:01:23 AM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on June 15, 2009, 08:39:11 PM
Not Xanadu is it?
Couldn't tell you.  Parents own a pub, the chick walks a tightrope in the pub, she has a crush on the music exec, he turns out to be gay.  Is that Xanadu?

Your parents own a pub?  That explains so much.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Alatriste

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on June 16, 2009, 01:31:06 AM
"Unknown" and "favourite" are somewhat contradictory but I will post my choice anyway.

The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp is a great movie.

The Larch

Don't know if it's really "unknown", but the mostly unheard of movie I enjoy the most is Gabriele Salvatores' Mediterraneo (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mediterraneo), winner of the 1992 Oscar for the Best Foreign Language Film.

It's about a ragtag company of Italian soldiers in WWII, sent to a random and strategically worthless Greek island for garrison and lookout duty, which are left behind by his command and forgotten until the end of the war, and how they manage with abandonment by his superiors, insecurity about their future, sense of purpose and so on, and how they integrate with the locals.

Pedrito

Mediterraneo is a nice film  :hug:

it's difficult to say that's a favourite of mine, but Intacto (2002, J.C. Fresnadillo) is a pretty good movie no one has ever seen; the main character is a plane crash survivor who's able to steal the luck from other people; he's soon contacted by other "lucky" guys to a challenge to establish who's the luckiest of all.

L.
b / h = h / b+h

27 Zoupa Points, redeemable at the nearest liquor store! :woot:

Tamas

Miller's Crossing One of the best movies ever but none of my RL peers saw it.

The Larch

Quote from: Pedrito on June 16, 2009, 04:17:17 AM
Mediterraneo is a nice film  :hug:

Indeed, it always cheers me up to see it, even if the movie itself is bittersweet. :)

Brazen

"I bought a Vampire Motorcycle" starring the late, great Michael Elphick. Contains possibly my favourite movie line ever, "I haven't had a cunt all night, Drinkstable."

Josquius

24 Hour Party People is quite unknown right? As is Avalon.
██████
██████
██████

Ed Anger

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on June 16, 2009, 01:31:06 AM

They have been showing it here on the TCM channel. I'll record it, even though I usually skip brit war movies.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

saskganesh

humans were created in their own image

Octavian

If you let someone handcuff you, and put a rope around your neck, don't act all surprised if they hang you!

- Eyal Yanilov.

Forget about winning and losing; forget about pride and pain. Let your opponent graze your skin and you smash into his flesh; let him smash into your flesh and you fracture his bones; let him fracture your bones and you take his life. Do not be concerned with escaping safely - lay your life before him.

- Bruce Lee

BuddhaRhubarb

Quote from: saskganesh on June 16, 2009, 06:48:03 AM
hard core logo?

Deserves wider recognition... is the "Goin Down The Road" of the modern age.
:p

saskganesh

Quote from: BuddhaRhubarb on June 16, 2009, 11:26:35 AM
Quote from: saskganesh on June 16, 2009, 06:48:03 AM
hard core logo?

Deserves wider recognition... is the "Goin Down The Road" of the modern age.

apparently 4 sequels are/were planned. is Bruce MacDonald George Lucas? or does he just want to escape directing "queer as folk" and "degrassi next generation" rent gigs
humans were created in their own image

Lucidor

Quote from: Queequeg on June 15, 2009, 05:55:32 PM
Sheilbh, how long is Cherry?  Been meaning to go on an Iranian Film binge recently, is Cherry the place to start?
But those are among the longest hours of your life. I litterally wanted death to liberate me from that one, the fourth or fifth time a car with its lights on went down a pitch-black hill (the same hill) which took about an hour.