News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Elephants are brilliant

Started by jimmy olsen, December 05, 2014, 01:50:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ideologue

Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Tonitrus

There is apparently a small place in Tennessee...but they do refer to a heated barn being available (usually used in January they say).

http://www.elephants.com/

Ideologue

Cool.

Man, elephants live long as fuck.  The only blameless Boomers in America live in Tennessee.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

lustindarkness

Best place for African elephants is Africa,  the problem is the Africans :hmm:
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Tonitrus

Quote from: lustindarkness on December 06, 2014, 12:15:08 AM

And Chinese.

Norgy

You mean "Ebony and Ivory" wasn't a celebration of the peaceful coexistence between African and Elephant?  :(

Savonarola

Quote from: Ideologue on December 05, 2014, 11:08:17 PM
So elephants can withstand freezing temperatures?  I really don't know if they can or can't, but the "deep south" gets snow unless you mean the Miami metro area, and even it gets colder than the tropics (and I believe hotter in the summer too).

We could release them into the Everglades and let them fight it out with the boa constrictors.

There's an elephant sanctuary just south of me in Fellesmere, Florida: http://www.nationalelephantcenter.org/

We can get frost here; but usually not hard freezes.  You have to get south of Lake Okeechobee in order to avoid freezing weather (which is why sugar cane is raised down there.) 
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

garbon

Well the article itself talks about a fairly large sanctuary in California. Something like 2300 acres. From their site looks like they 10 elephants and then a lot of other sorts of animals.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Kleves

Perhaps the elephants should institute a policy of prima noctae to attempt to breed them out.
My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

Eddie Teach

You people and your silly fetishes.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

The Brain

They do carry a lot of junk in the trunk.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Queequeg

Remaining Elephant populations exist because African population density was traditionally low and the Indians loved the animals.  I don't know what the natural range of a contemporary African or Indian Elephant is, but it seems a safe bet that his cousins 90,000 years ago were all over the place even without all the layers of fur. 
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

CountDeMoney

Well, you can kiss their asses goodbye, now that poachers have moved on from taking them down with RPGs to dumping cyanide into watering holes.

Martinus

Should we destroy all ivory and bans its possession and sale then?

Siege

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"