News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Elephants are brilliant

Started by jimmy olsen, December 05, 2014, 01:50:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Siege

Quote from: Martinus on December 07, 2014, 04:44:06 PM
Should we destroy all ivory and bans its possession and sale then?

Or, certify ivory as conflict free.
It has worked for the diamond industry, at least in Israel.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Siege on December 07, 2014, 05:22:40 PM
I love watering holes.

I bet you do, West Bank Story.

YOUVE BEEN HIT BY
YOUVE BEEN STRUCK BY
A JEW CRIMINAL

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Siege on December 07, 2014, 05:25:22 PM

:huh:

grumbler

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 07, 2014, 05:59:53 PM
Quote from: Siege on December 07, 2014, 05:25:22 PM

:huh:

He's right.  You never hear about blood diamonds being mined in Israel.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

CountDeMoney

QuoteA Baby Elephant Kidnapped By Zimbabwe's Government Just Died
By Ben Guarino
December 10, 2014
TheDodo.com

One of the 36 elephants captured by the Zimbabwean government in early December has already died, according to a nonprofit organization monitoring the situation.

The Zimbabwe Conservation Task Force reported the news on its Facebook page, adding that the animal's "meat was shared out between the people" at the stockade where the elephant was being kept.

Even before the death was announced, animal rights groups had begun to take a stand. In a letter, Adam Roberts of the Born Free Foundation had warned that the stolen animals were likely to experience extreme stress, an increased risk of disease and early death.

Removing these pachyderms from the wild also severs social ties and has "serious implications for both animal welfare and conservation," Roberts noted in the letter, which was addressed to Saviour Kasukuwere, Zimbabwe's environmental minister.

Officials with the Zimbabwean government took the 36 elephants — originally thought to be 34 — along with seven lion cubs and 10 antelope from Hwange National Park in December. It was rumored that the animals may end up in a Chinese zoo, but Kasukuwere told the Telegraph that they would be sent to the United Arab Emirates, and that such roundups happen "from time to time."

In captivity, elephants are prone to obesity and infertility, as well as mental anguish. Roberts cited a 2008 study of 77 captive elephants in the U.K. Though keepers were "highly skilled at detecting health issues such as injuries and disease," three-fourths of the elephants were overweight and half showed stereotypical behavior like repetitive pacing.

It's uncertain whether the elephants will end up in China or the UAE, but when it comes to the wildlife trade, the reputation of both countries is, broadly speaking, much different than the U.K.'s. Private owners in the UAE collect lions like Lamborghinis. Chinese demand for ivory is putting unsustainable pressure on wild elephants. And of four live elephant calves shipped to China from Zimbabwe in 2012, Roberts pointed out that only one is believed to still be alive.

Razgovory

Okay, that's the last straw.  Bring back Rhodesia.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Ideologue

QuoteIt's uncertain whether the elephants will end up in China or the UAE

PLA war elephants. :o

QuoteChinese demand for ivory is putting unsustainable pressure on wild elephants

Or that.  Bring back the Japanese Empire. <_<
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Ideologue on December 10, 2014, 07:55:03 PM
QuoteIt's uncertain whether the elephants will end up in China or the UAE

PLA war elephants. :o

Going to be kinda tough to move back protesters with the lower portion of their heads chainsawed off.

Ideologue

I hadn't read the next sentence yet.  Wish I hadn't still.  I forget what barbarians so many PRChinese are.  Actually, in this regard, I can just drop my "PR" prefix and probably just be justifiably culturally imperialist. <_<
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)