N. Korea hacks Sony in revenge for Seth Rogen's film "The Interview"

Started by jimmy olsen, December 04, 2014, 03:05:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ideologue

They're a shitty person and ideologically incorrect?  I don't know what evil lurks in the hearts of men.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Ideologue on December 26, 2014, 07:13:31 PM
Yeah, I'm pretty sure the DPRK falls under the category of "degenerated worker's states."

This suggests that at some point in the past it was a undegenerated worker's state.

Ideologue

Hard to say.  I'm in no way expert in DPRK history.  Anyway, if it ever was a state that sought to better its people's lives, obviously it isn't now.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

MadBurgerMaker

Quote from: celedhring on December 26, 2014, 03:56:30 AM
Anyway, early reports say that The Interview grossed 1m on opening day, which is pretty unspectacular even with so few screens.

That's actually not too bad.  It was hitting more than $3,000 per theater, which would make some bucks (like 8 or 10 million) in a "real" release. 

Neil

Quote from: Ideologue on December 26, 2014, 07:13:31 PM
Yeah, I'm pretty sure the DPRK falls under the category of "degenerated worker's states."
Isn't it just another postcolonial dictatorship?
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: Ideologue on December 26, 2014, 06:29:25 PM
Cel: Anyway, I don't wanna really bag on Wags.  I know it's just hyperbole.  My only point is that you shouldn't wish specific (and realistic) harm on people just because they don't find the work pleasing.  I figured you'd be on board, since one day it'll be you that disgruntled audience members--few, I trust, but there's always a few--who will have harm wished upon him. :hug:
What specific harm did I wish on people?  I don't want anyone dead. SEALs or otherwise.  You have to tone down that hypobole. 
PDH!

Ideologue

You wanted their property destroyed.

Quote from: NeilIsn't it just another postcolonial dictatorship?

Probably little different in function, but Kim One was installed by the Soviets.  I guess the real degenerated workers' state was the USSR. :(
Kinemalogue

Josquius

The most convincing theory about North Korea I've read is that it is an imperial japan remnant. They merely switched out the emperor for the kims and Mount Fuji for some insignificant Korean mountain and.... Bingo

QuoteYes, yes, I'm sure when you say that Buddhism is the native religion of Japan or the Japan is underpopulated, or some other nonsense you feel quite clever.
:mellow:
I never said Buddhism was the native religion of japan. You need to read some history if you think that. Buddhism is from India.
And japan outside the major cities and their accompanying sprawl  is pretty empty.  Try going there if you don't believe me. Or just look at a population distribution map.
██████
██████
██████

celedhring

Quote from: MadBurgerMaker on December 26, 2014, 07:42:06 PM
Quote from: celedhring on December 26, 2014, 03:56:30 AM
Anyway, early reports say that The Interview grossed 1m on opening day, which is pretty unspectacular even with so few screens.

That's actually not too bad.  It was hitting more than $3,000 per theater, which would make some bucks (like 8 or 10 million) in a "real" release.

It's just "okay"; it really isn't that much an impressive PSA for a film that came out in Christmas in so few screens, which so much "hype".

I'm interested in seeing the VoD grosses, though, if those become available. IIRC this is the first high-profile film ever to come out day-and-date with its theatrical release.

MadBurgerMaker

Nah, $3100 per theater is pretty good.  Again, if they had actually released it like they had originally planned (10x more theaters), they'd be looking at $8-10 million on Xmas day, and would be #3 behind Unbroken and Into The Woods in the new releases category. 

It will be interesting to see if the simultaneous release is a success and if that will affect future releases.  Supposedly it was pirated 750,000 times though.  :lol:

celedhring

Quote from: MadBurgerMaker on December 27, 2014, 04:53:16 AM
Nah, $3100 per theater is pretty good.  Again, if they had actually released it like they had originally planned (10x more theaters), they'd be looking at $8-10 million on Xmas day, and would be #3 behind Unbroken and Into The Woods in the new releases category. 

It will be interesting to see if the simultaneous release is a success and if that will affect future releases.  Supposedly it was pirated 750,000 times though.  :lol:

PSA's dillute as you expand; it wouldn't have got 8-10 milion. If all the film can muster in a 300 theater release after all the hype the film's had, on Christmas day (one of the biggest moviegoing days of the year) is just 3000 PSA, it really isn't a great result. It's not "terrible", but given it probably will go away quickly, there won't be that much money to be had for Sony (in theaters, at least).

Rogen's previous film, Neighbors, did twice that PSA in 10 times the amount of theaters, in its opening day.

MadBurgerMaker

That's why I put the range in there, but the hype worked: the theaters that screened it were apparently packed.  They also released it simultaneously online, which means there were people who could stay home and get stoned watching a dumbass Seth Rogan movie on release day. 

e:
QuoteRogen's previous film, Neighbors, did twice that PSA in 10 times the amount of theaters, in its opening day.

That would have put it at #1 by a lot.   

$6 a pop for "rentals" sucks, btw. 

The Larch

Quote from: celedhring on December 27, 2014, 04:58:27 AM

PSA's dillute as you expand; it wouldn't have got 8-10 milion. If all the film can muster in a 300 theater release after all the hype the film's had, on Christmas day (one of the biggest moviegoing days of the year) is just 3000 PSA, it really isn't a great result. It's not "terrible", but given it probably will go away quickly, there won't be that much money to be had for Sony (in theaters, at least).

Rogen's previous film, Neighbors, did twice that PSA in 10 times the amount of theaters, in its opening day.

You also have to take into account that it opened in small independent cinemas only, no multiplexes for it.

celedhring

Quote from: The Larch on December 27, 2014, 12:01:39 PM
Quote from: celedhring on December 27, 2014, 04:58:27 AM

You also have to take into account that it opened in small independent cinemas only, no multiplexes for it.

We are talking about PSA, though. Quite often an independent cinema will have larger screens than screen #37 of your local multiplex.