N. Korea hacks Sony in revenge for Seth Rogen's film "The Interview"

Started by jimmy olsen, December 04, 2014, 03:05:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacob

Norse Corp (the ones who had that "current cyber attacks" thing I linked earlier) say the evidence points towards the Sony Hack being an inside job rather than North Korea: http://nypost.com/2014/12/30/new-evidence-sony-hack-was-inside-job-cyber-experts/

Personally I'm inclined to think that's much more likely than North Korea.

Jacob

Bloomberg has an article with a few more details: http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-12-30/ex-sony-worker-hacking-theory-casts-doubt-on-north-korea-origins.html

Quote"A lot of malware is kind of like a Roomba -- it shuffles around the computer network, bumps into furniture and goes in spirals and looks for things kind of randomly," Stammberger said. "This was much more like a cruise missile."

"This malware had specific server addresses, user IDs, passwords and credentials, it had certificates. This stuff was incredibly targeted. That is a very strong signal that an insider was involved."

Tonitrus

CountDeMoney

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: garbon on January 02, 2015, 10:52:48 AM
So now this is opening at more theaters? Ugh.

Is your sense of aesthetics more important than sticking it to cyber-terrorists? :unsure:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

garbon

Yes. The terrorists have truly won if good taste is sacrificed. :weep:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Darth Wagtaros

PDH!

garbon

KRonn

The Obama admin has announced a number of new sanctions on NK, which is good, except unless it does turn out that the Norks really aren't behind it then it gets awkward. But then the Norks have been doing this so they deserve a few sanctions. Of course then we have China hacking into everywhere, which is well known but seems little is done except for talking, or not enough desire to do something about it by US officials or other nations as I'm sure they hack everywhere.

Sheilbh

Let's bomb Russia!

Sheilbh

Quote from: KRonn on January 02, 2015, 02:38:15 PM
The Obama admin has announced a number of new sanctions on NK, which is good, except unless it does turn out that the Norks really aren't behind it then it gets awkward. But then the Norks have been doing this so they deserve a few sanctions. Of course then we have China hacking into everywhere, which is well known but seems little is done except for talking, or not enough desire to do something about it by US officials or other nations as I'm sure they hack everywhere.
What's wrong with China hacking?

It's like spying every country should do it and probably not kick up a fuss unless they absolutely have to. I'd be amazed if the US wasn't hacking into China with just as much gusto. So it's probably for the best if no one mentions it.
Let's bomb Russia!

Admiral Yi

You think all governments should try to steal commercial secrets from other countries? :huh:

Sheilbh

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 02, 2015, 07:38:00 PM
You think all governments should try to steal commercial secrets from other countries? :huh:
Little bit. I've always admired the French system.
Let's bomb Russia!

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Sheilbh on January 02, 2015, 07:31:41 PM
What's wrong with China hacking?

It is economically, politically and militarily destabilizing.  And, like so much else in the Chinese experience when they attempt to take short-cuts through history, it will inevitably lead to disastrous results.

QuoteIt's like spying every country should do it and probably not kick up a fuss unless they absolutely have to. I'd be amazed if the US wasn't hacking into China with just as much gusto. So it's probably for the best if no one mentions it.

I suppose we would be, if there were anything worth hacking for, beyond lead painted children's toys and poison pet food.  Stop being a Sinopologist, it's unseemly.