News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Are beards coming back?

Started by Tonitrus, December 01, 2014, 09:50:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

I wish I could grow a proper beard. While hair sprouts pretty much anywhere on my body, my face has "desert spots" where nothing grows, and my beard grows very slowly. If I don't shave for a week, I look how other guys look after 2 days. Additionally, on my upper lip the hair is dark blond/brownish in the center, and light blond on the sides, so if I let it grow it looks like a hitler/Chaplin mustache from afar. :(

The hair on my chin is the only facial hair that I can properly cultivate.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Ideologue

I have a smallish spot on my chin that's bald due to a scar from my "why don't I see if I can get my face kicked in every six months" days.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

MadImmortalMan

I'm getting a grey streak right in the middle of my chin. Dunno what to think about that.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Brazen

Coming back? In London at least we've already reached Peak Beard. I first spotted a meedja hipster in Soho sporting a full George V and playing darts (ironically) seven years ago and it was a sign of things to come.

Norgy

Beards are back!

I have friends that look like they take fashion advice from the Taliban.

Brazen

Quote from: Norgy on December 02, 2014, 05:31:25 AM
Beards are back!

I have friends that look like they take fashion advice from the Taliban.
Should we tell our nuns to take up defences?

Norgy

Wouldn't hurt to be prepared. Then again, who'd want to go to Northumberland this time of year? Or any other time, really.

The Larch

I trim mine whenever I start to look as if I just came down from the Sierra Maestra.

Norgy

In your case, beards never left, did they, Larchie?  :hug:

The Larch

Quote from: Norgy on December 02, 2014, 06:10:46 AM
In your case, beards never left, did they, Larchie?  :hug:

I've been sporting a full beard continuously since 2011. :osama:

Never went full hipster, though, as it starts getting itchy and uncomfortable (not to mention unsightly) when it gets close to the "latin american guerrilla" stage, so I need to trim every once in a while. Great for winter, though.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Viking

Quote from: Sheilbh on December 01, 2014, 09:58:13 PM
I'll shave my beard today :(

They've come back. I think they're mostly on their way out again now. But some men (I think possibly me) simply look better with a beard, so hopefully we're moving into more folically tolerant times :o

Edit: Also that article's an interesting American perspective. Needless to say in late Victorian Britain a strong beard was not a sign of a radical:

Edit: I always love when I read Trollope and you can normally tell how attractive and morally upstanding his male characters are by his description of their facial hair. In general 'masculine whiskers' are a very good sign. But he practiced what he preached:

Beards made a comeback in the victorian era after almost 300 years of clean shaved faces after the Crimean War. During that war regulations on shaving for soldiers were relaxed due to the harsh conditions and the returning "heroes" often had full beards and an attachment to the habit of wearing one. You see young lincoln (this is he last beardless image of lincoln in the fall of 1860), young darwin or young dickens

It's a bit funny that a cancer charity drive seems have let men express their masculinity without reproach.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

lustindarkness

I grow a beard just about every month, between drill weekends.

The Wife says she will leave me when I retire from the Reserves and start looking like uncle Si from Duck Dynasty.  :( I'll miss her.
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

mongers

Quote from: lustindarkness on December 02, 2014, 09:03:50 AM
I grow a beard just about every month, between drill weekends.

The Wife says she will leave me when I retire from the Reserves and start looking like uncle Si from Duck Dynasty.  :( I'll miss her.

I think I'd look like captain Ahab if I every let mine grow more than say seven days.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Valmy

Quote from: Viking on December 02, 2014, 08:57:34 AM
Beards made a comeback in the victorian era after almost 300 years of clean shaved faces after the Crimean War. During that war regulations on shaving for soldiers were relaxed due to the harsh conditions and the returning "heroes" often had full beards and an attachment to the habit of wearing one.

The Sideburns during the Napoleonic era were pretty fantastic though

Still clean shaven is better.  Romans > Greeks.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."