News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

"Filioque, shmoque", sez Pope

Started by Martinus, December 03, 2014, 07:33:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martinus

Yeah. There is the whole stuff about saints, and, depending on the heretical sect to which protestants belong, there are significant issues concerning deeds vs. faith, salvation and the like.

Not to mention Unitarians who are just atheists who like to bake goods and meet on Sundays.

alfred russel

Quote from: Martinus on December 04, 2014, 02:17:30 AM
Well, I can see (at least if you read Francis between the lines) that he considers Papal infallibility and dominance more of a political than theological issue and he is not aiming for submitting the Orthodox churches to Rome - more like reaching a common platform ("separate but equal" ;)).

As for Mary, I always thought her immaculate conception was bollocks.

It isnt as though the pope dictated things to the east before the great schism. I understand that benedict wrote that that the maximum catholics could ever expect from orthodox in a reunification would be a relationship like the one that existed historically (before the final break).
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Scipio on December 03, 2014, 07:22:03 PM
Quote from: Solmyr on December 03, 2014, 08:19:03 AM
I'm not sure Moscow Patriarchate has any authority left, seeing as nowadays they pretty much worship Putin instead of God.
MP is doing quite well, despite their Putinism.

The real issue is that despite all the glad-handing, no Orthodox bishop will submit to Roman rule. The whole system of leadership in the church is entirely different. Even though the filioque can be hand-waved away by the RC, and monophysitism has been largely dealt with, the immaculate conception of Mary and the infallibility and dominance of the Pope are non-starters.

Immaculate Conception of Mary and infallibility are more recent though since they date from the 19th century (Vatican I). They're real impediments but overplayed, the real causes were more mundane, powerplays between the East and the West. Noboby mentioned the Eastern Catholics/Uniate who "submit to the pope" but keep their Eastern rituals, that's another real obstacle, specially for Moscow.

Such as before the great schism and the fall of the exarchate of Ravenna, the Eastern Emperor dictated things to the Pope (450 to 752).

Valmy

Quote from: Martinus on December 04, 2014, 11:20:21 AM
Not to mention Unitarians who are just atheists who like to bake goods and meet on Sundays.

Whatever.  The Trinitarians are just pagans who like to pretend to be Christians.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

The Minsky Moment

The eastern churches should be OK with the immaculate reception, there are plenty of Slavic types in western Penn and only Raiders fans could be offended.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

CountDeMoney

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on December 04, 2014, 01:31:30 PM
The eastern churches should be OK with the immaculate reception, there are plenty of Slavic types in western Penn and only Raiders fans could be offended.

They have their Holy Roller heresy.

garbon

Very rude to try and rile V up like that.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Martinus

Quote from: garbon on December 05, 2014, 08:11:59 AM

Very rude to try and rile V up like that.

It gets him every time.  :D