News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

"Filioque, shmoque", sez Pope

Started by Martinus, December 03, 2014, 07:33:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martinus

The title may be going a bit too far ( :P), but the Pope has just said this on Catholics participating in Orthodox Eucharist:

Quote"I want to assure each one of you here that, to reach the desired goal of full unity, the Catholic Church does not intend to impose any conditions except that of the shared profession of faith. Further, I would add that we are ready to seek together, in light of Scriptural teaching and the experience of the first millennium, the ways in which we can guarantee the needed unity of the Church in the present circumstances. The one thing that the Catholic Church desires, and that I seek as Bishop of Rome, 'the Church which presides in charity,' is communion with the Orthodox Churches."

Admiral Yi

Perhaps you should start one Catholic News From Around the World That's Catholic thread.

Martinus

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 03, 2014, 07:37:10 AM
Perhaps you should start one Catholic News From Around the World That's Catholic thread.

We already have Gay News and Polish News thread, so a Catholic one would be doubly redundant. :P

Duque de Bragança

Nihil novi sub sole

This has been the line since Paul VI at the least. Problem is, Muscovy Patriarchate. Relations are fine with the Byzantine patriarchate. Monophysitism is no longer an issue with other Oriental churches as well with a common christological position.
I'm still not sure if the church of the Exiled White Russians in Paris recognizes the authority of Moscow or if they still refer to Constantinople, to give an example of these tortuous relationships. Last time the issue came up with Russians, nobody could ascertain what was the current status. Probably still under Constantinople.

Solmyr

I'm not sure Moscow Patriarchate has any authority left, seeing as nowadays they pretty much worship Putin instead of God.

Martinus

Quote from: Solmyr on December 03, 2014, 08:19:03 AM
I'm not sure Moscow Patriarchate has any authority left, seeing as nowadays they pretty much worship Putin instead of God.

About one third of Ukrainian Orthodox follow the Moscow Patriarchate, I believe I read somewhere, so it is not entirely without influence outside of Russia.

Tamas

It is so painfully obvious that within ten years, Marti will end up being an ultra conservative Catholic devout, frowning upon the sinful ways of youth, gays in particular, and longing for the days of old when marriage was between a man and a woman.

CountDeMoney

And good for him, as Holy Mother Church always welcomes back those who have wandered from Her embrace.  Even sausage smugglers.

Duque de Bragança

Well, it's not like cesaropapism is without precedent in the (Russian) Orthodox Church, is it?  :P

crazy canuck

Someone should made a EUIV mod in honour of this Pope.  :)

Scipio

MP is doing quite well, despite their Putinism.

The real issue is that despite all the glad-handing, no Orthodox bishop will submit to Roman rule. The whole system of leadership in the church is entirely different. Even though the filioque can be hand-waved away by the RC, and monophysitism has been largely dealt with, the immaculate conception of Mary and the infallibility and dominance of the Pope are non-starters.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

dps

Quote from: Scipio on December 03, 2014, 07:22:03 PM

the immaculate conception of Mary and the infallibility and dominance of the Pope are non-starters.

So pretty much the same things that separate Roman Catholics and Protestants.

Martinus

Well, I can see (at least if you read Francis between the lines) that he considers Papal infallibility and dominance more of a political than theological issue and he is not aiming for submitting the Orthodox churches to Rome - more like reaching a common platform ("separate but equal" ;)).

As for Mary, I always thought her immaculate conception was bollocks.

Valmy

infallibility

I thought that was only for resolving internal Catholic Dogma debate type deals.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote from: dps on December 03, 2014, 08:05:56 PM

the immaculate conception of Mary and the infallibility and dominance of the Pope are non-starters.

So pretty much the same things that separate Roman Catholics and Protestants.

Not really no.  Compared to Protestants Orthodox and Catholics are basically the same thing.  Protestants are not Catholics who just do not have a Pope (well ok some of them are like those conservative Anglican types).
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."