News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Are beards coming back?

Started by Tonitrus, December 01, 2014, 09:50:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Tonitrus on December 01, 2014, 09:51:30 PM
And on the same theme, the rise of the "Lumbersexual" movement (likely a form of hipsterism):

http://gearjunkie.com/the-rise-of-the-lumbersexual

Actually, number two is kinda cute.  It also appears he's the one of the lot that's mastered the art of trimming his beard.
Experience bij!

The Larch

Quote from: Valmy on December 02, 2014, 10:09:52 AM
Quote from: Viking on December 02, 2014, 08:57:34 AM
Beards made a comeback in the victorian era after almost 300 years of clean shaved faces after the Crimean War. During that war regulations on shaving for soldiers were relaxed due to the harsh conditions and the returning "heroes" often had full beards and an attachment to the habit of wearing one.

The Sideburns during the Napoleonic era were pretty fantastic though

Still clean shaven is better.  Romans > Greeks.

:contract:

Grey Fox

Beards are always in.

I sport a beard when I get lazy & don't shave it for a couple of weeks, I have to say "Allah Ackbar" in response to a lot of "ahhhh, a terrorist".
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

DontSayBanana

This thread makes me sad.  I can't do a beard for the same reason I was never able to do long sideburns/mutton chops. :(
Experience bij!

CountDeMoney

Quote from: The Larch on December 02, 2014, 06:05:19 AM
I trim mine whenever I start to look as if I just came down from the Sierra Maestra.

Los Barbudos. :wub:

derspiess

Quote from: DontSayBanana on December 02, 2014, 10:30:28 AM
This thread makes me sad.  I can't do a beard for the same reason I was never able to do long sideburns/mutton chops. :(

I can do a solid goatee but a full beard just isn't in the cards.  I'd rock some serious mutton chops if I could :mellow:

Now that I'm letting my goatee grow out long I'm getting a a noticeable pattern of white whiskers on my chin.  Didn't like it at first but getting used to it.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

The Larch

DontSayBanana

Quote from: derspiess on December 02, 2014, 11:20:51 AM
I can do a solid goatee but a full beard just isn't in the cards.  I'd rock some serious mutton chops if I could :mellow:

Now that I'm letting my goatee grow out long I'm getting a a noticeable pattern of white whiskers on my chin.  Didn't like it at first but getting used to it.

I have a goatee and lip strip with a disconnected mustache, which is what I've done for about 8 years now (when I get fed up and shave it off for various reasons, it only stays gone for about three weeks).  There's just no hair growing in between my temple and jaw bone, so mutton chops never happened, no matter how long I let them go, and a beard would never connect.
Experience bij!

Viking

First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Valmy

Quote from: The Larch on December 02, 2014, 11:47:15 AM
There was also Nero, a neckbeard pioneer.  :lol:

That was just really extreme sideburns
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

katmai

It is winter in Alaska, you bet I have a beard.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall