U.S. Turkey Day/Thankgsgiving/Pre-Black-Friday-Dinner

Started by Syt, November 25, 2014, 02:12:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote from: Caliga on November 25, 2014, 02:36:32 PM
If I lived in Texas, I'd have chili for Thanksgiving.

We usually have Posole Rojo for the soup, that at least has chili peppers.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Caliga

Quote from: Valmy on November 25, 2014, 02:23:25 PM
I have never had sopapilla cheesecake but now I really want to correct this gaping hole in my cultural experience
http://allrecipes.com/recipe/sopapilla-cheesecake-dessert/

I have a feeling I will be consuming this in the near future.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Caliga

Quote from: derspiess on November 25, 2014, 02:23:35 PM
I think dirt pudding is pudding covered with crushed oreo (I guess without the cream) so that the upper texture looks like dirt.  It's not bad.
Yes.... I know what dirt pudding is, but I associate it with crap little kids learn how to make in kindergarten and Sunday school.  I guess Ohioans are just that remedial when it comes to cooking. :(

garbon

I don't think any of those generally show up at thanksgiving for me.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Caliga

Here's what typically shows up at our Thanksgiving:

turkey and gravy (duh)
mashed taters
sweet tater casserole, which we are making this year
green bean casserole
regular dressing and oyster dressing
rolls
seven layer salad
corn pudding
pumpkin pie
pecan pie
various cookies

garbon

We generally have:

turkey and gravy + stuffing
mashed potatoes
sweet potato casserole
green bean casserole
rolls
loose corn
deviled eggs
spinach dip
tortilla chips and salsa
green onion dip and ruffles
apple pie
jello salad (though over time this has just become jello + cool whip)
some cranberry crap
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Caliga

I forgot about the cranberry and deviled eggs.  We have those too. :blush:

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Caliga

Syt

I haven't yet decided whether I'll take the meat loaf or the mushroom soup from the lunch lady on Thursday.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

derspiess

Due to my sister in law's family not being at our Thanksgiving this year, the quality of food will automatically improve.  Instead of asparagus from a can, not quite fully cooked cheesey potatoes, and cream of mushroom soup-green bean casserole, we'll have some real damned side dishes for a change.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Caliga

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

derspiess

Quote from: Caliga on November 25, 2014, 03:16:20 PM
white trash? :(

No, just really provincial and unsophisticated as far as food tastes are concerned.  You should see the fireworks when we unload some relatively tame Argentine food on them.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

MadImmortalMan

I'm going to visit relatives this year, so I won't get to cook.  :(

"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers