Jesus H. LeMay Christ: USAF restricts F16s from engaging modern opponents

Started by CountDeMoney, November 21, 2014, 05:31:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malicious Intent

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 23, 2014, 04:23:50 PM
I knew Jordan had M48s but didn't know Israel did.  I thought it was all Centurions, M60s, and Ishermans.

Germany secretly supplied Israel with Pattons in the early 60s. They were disassembled in Germany, then shipped through various channels to Israel and reassembled there. The deal was leaked to the press (most likely from the german foreign ministry) and delivery had to be stopped with only 40-50 tanks completely shipped, due to arab threats to formally acknowledge the GDR.
The US later supplied more M48 tanks to Israel, again with secret help from Germany, who participated in the funding.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Siege on November 23, 2014, 03:03:45 PM
I know you think you know everything, but Arabs had a numerical AND technological adavantage on Eretz during the Arab Wars.

Not in everything.
Israel definitely had a technological advantage in nuclear weapons, in that they had them in 73 Sadat didn't. 
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

derspiess

Okay, Arab countries recognize the DDR.  Then what?  West Germany is canceled?
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Barrister

Quote from: derspiess on November 24, 2014, 12:08:21 PM

It would be part and parcel of falling in with the soviet bloc, and rejecting the west.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Viking

Quote from: Barrister on November 24, 2014, 12:10:56 PM

It would be part and parcel of falling in with the soviet bloc, and rejecting the west.

Well they are batshit about this one issue.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Malicious Intent

Quote from: derspiess on November 24, 2014, 11:53:26 AM
Quote from: Malicious Intent on November 24, 2014, 06:00:34 AM
due to arab threats to formally acknowledge the GDR.

Was that really a big deal, even at the time?

Yes, sadly. Our foreign policy back then was dominated by the Hallstein doctrine: The BRD is the only legitimate german successor nation. Acknowledging the DDR was declared an unfriendly act and could be sanctioned breaking off diplomatic relations (which also meant no more development aid and economic cooperation). For a time, this threat had the desired effect and kept many states depending on help from the BRD from acknowledging the DDR. But the "tank crisis" showed, that the threat also worked the other way around.
In the end, Ostpolitik made the Hallstein doctrine obsolete.

Ed Anger

It was later picked up by Netflix.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

CountDeMoney