Jesus H. LeMay Christ: USAF restricts F16s from engaging modern opponents

Started by CountDeMoney, November 21, 2014, 05:31:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Admiral Yi

I knew Jordan had M48s but didn't know Israel did.  I thought it was all Centurions, M60s, and Ishermans.

CountDeMoney

The Israelis has M48s and wound up souping them up into a bunch of variants, as well as the Patturion, which was the Centurion chassis with the M-48 drivetrain and lifting the 105mm cannon from the M60 (or was it M48)?

Admiral Yi

Viking

Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 23, 2014, 04:36:39 PM
The Israelis has M48s and wound up souping them up into a bunch of variants, as well as the Patturion, which was the Centurion chassis with the M-48 drivetrain and lifting the 105mm cannon from the M60 (or was it M48)?

They actually mounted the L7 105 mm gun of the Leopard 1, M60 and M1 (early versions) on the M-48. They were operating with alot of scrap metal they had to made work when, especially after the french and british abandoned them in the decade after 1956.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

CountDeMoney

Couldn't remember, I know the L7 was on a variety of models back in the day.

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

Quote from: Siege on November 23, 2014, 02:55:55 PM
Quote from: Baron von Schtinkenbutt on November 23, 2014, 02:45:12 PM
Quote from: mongers on November 23, 2014, 02:34:48 PM
I don't think the M60s performed that well, the M60 battalion that got to the Bar Lev line, ended the day consisting of two tanks, mainly anti-tank missiles and guns responsible, but big high silhouette tanks were a real disadvantage. 
I'd say the T62 was possible a next generation on from the M60 or Centurion(which nearly made it into WW2 combat).

The T-62 was a cheap shit tank designed to be such.  It wasn't newer than the M-60 anyway.  The T-54 was definitely behind the M-60 and by that time had been replaced in front line Soviet battalions by the T-64, which was never exported.

dude, the armored corp did not had M60s during the Arab Wars.

Mongers made the statement, "I'd say the T62 was possible a next generation on from the M60".  I was refuting that statement.  I don't care and it doesn't matter what the Israeli army actually had.

Siege

Quote from: Baron von Schtinkenbutt on November 23, 2014, 04:58:03 PM
I don't think the M60s performed that well, the M60 battalion that got to the Bar Lev line, ended the day consisting of two tanks, mainly anti-tank missiles and guns responsible, but big high silhouette tanks were a real disadvantage. 
I'd say the T62 was possible a next generation on from the M60 or Centurion(which nearly made it into WW2 combat).

The T-62 was a cheap shit tank designed to be such.  It wasn't newer than the M-60 anyway.  The T-54 was definitely behind the M-60 and by that time had been replaced in front line Soviet battalions by the T-64, which was never exported.

Mongers made the statement, "I'd say the T62 was possible a next generation on from the M60".  I was refuting that statement.  I don't care and it doesn't matter what the Israeli army actually had.

Well, fuck you!!11

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

11B4V

Quote from: Siege on November 23, 2014, 02:54:24 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 23, 2014, 02:29:19 PM
The Centurion and M60 were a generation behind the T54 and T62?  The Phantom and Mirage were a generation behind the MiG23?

My dear, the M48 was still the workhorse of the 7th Armored Brigade during the Six Days Crap and The Yom Kippur Crash.
Ok, upgraded to Israeli stndards with the 90mm main gun.
Still behind the T54.

Wrong, Sho't's during the '73 Golan shindig. 
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

11B4V

Wrong again
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

11B4V

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 23, 2014, 02:29:19 PM
The Centurion and M60 were a generation behind the T54 and T62?  The Phantom and Mirage were a generation behind the MiG23?

Had nothing to do with how well the "Tank" performed. More to do with the tactics, or lack of, against ATGM's.

11B4V

Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 23, 2014, 04:36:39 PM

What?

CountDeMoney

Razgovory

The problem with Soviet tanks is they had Soviet trained crews and were designed for people who were trained in Soviet methods.  A barely literate peasant can crew a T-54/54 which makes them attractive to countries with lots of barely literate peasants.  The downside is tend to lose lots of these barely literate peasants in battle.  For what the Soviets originally designed them for, nuclear war in Europe this might not be a big disadvantage.  If both sides were expected to take a lot of losses the side the could replace them the fastest might win.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

11B4V