Jesus H. LeMay Christ: USAF restricts F16s from engaging modern opponents

Started by CountDeMoney, November 21, 2014, 05:31:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Viking on November 23, 2014, 05:17:59 AM
6-Day and Vietnam wars perhaps. Though The Iran-Iraq war, Falklands war, The 1971 Bangladesh War, The 1982 Invasion of Lebanon, The Yom Kippur War (the reason why Mubakarak, the Air Force Chief, got to be vice president) all had non-trivial contested air warfare.

Vietnam definitely didn't feature technologically matched aircraft.  The Reds were a generation behind.

Siege

In the Yom Kippur War the reds were a generation ahead.
In both aircraft and tanks.
Due to western slagging in Israeli support, or outright boycott in the case of Europe.

This is the reason why the Merkava and Lavi projects came on.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Admiral Yi

The Centurion and M60 were a generation behind the T54 and T62?  The Phantom and Mirage were a generation behind the MiG23?

mongers

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 23, 2014, 02:29:19 PM
The Centurion and M60 were a generation behind the T54 and T62?  The Phantom and Mirage were a generation behind the MiG23?

I don't think the M60s performed that well, the M60 battalion that got to the Bar Lev line, ended the day consisting of two tanks, mainly anti-tank missiles and guns responsible, but big high silhouette tanks were a real disadvantage. 
I'd say the T62 was possible a next generation on from the M60 or Centurion(which nearly made it into WW2 combat).
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 23, 2014, 01:54:54 PM
6-Day and Vietnam wars perhaps. Though The Iran-Iraq war, Falklands war, The 1971 Bangladesh War, The 1982 Invasion of Lebanon, The Yom Kippur War (the reason why Mubakarak, the Air Force Chief, got to be vice president) all had non-trivial contested air warfare.

Vietnam definitely didn't feature technologically matched aircraft.  The Reds were a generation behind.

They were?  Mig 21s put up decent service against Phantoms.  They are about the same age as well.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 23, 2014, 01:54:54 PM

Huh?  The MiG-21 and F-4 were both first-line fighters.

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

Quote from: mongers on November 23, 2014, 02:34:48 PM
I don't think the M60s performed that well, the M60 battalion that got to the Bar Lev line, ended the day consisting of two tanks, mainly anti-tank missiles and guns responsible, but big high silhouette tanks were a real disadvantage. 
I'd say the T62 was possible a next generation on from the M60 or Centurion(which nearly made it into WW2 combat).

The T-62 was a cheap shit tank designed to be such.  It wasn't newer than the M-60 anyway.  The T-54 was definitely behind the M-60 and by that time had been replaced in front line Soviet battalions by the T-64, which was never exported.

Siege

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 23, 2014, 02:29:19 PM

My dear, the M48 was still the workhorse of the 7th Armored Brigade during the Six Days Crap and The Yom Kippur Crash.
Ok, upgraded to Israeli stndards with the 90mm main gun.
Still behind the T54.

Siege

Quote from: Baron von Schtinkenbutt on November 23, 2014, 02:45:12 PM
Quote from: mongers on November 23, 2014, 02:34:48 PM

The T-62 was a cheap shit tank designed to be such.  It wasn't newer than the M-60 anyway.  The T-54 was definitely behind the M-60 and by that time had been replaced in front line Soviet battalions by the T-64, which was never exported.

dude, the armored corp did not had M60s during the Arab Wars.

Admiral Yi

Siege

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 23, 2014, 02:58:24 PM
Quote from: Siege on November 23, 2014, 02:55:55 PM
dude, the armored corp did not had M60s during the Arab Wars.

Wanna bet?

Ok man.
I know you think you know everything, but Arabs had a numerical AND technological adavantage on Eretz during the Arab Wars.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Siege on November 23, 2014, 03:03:45 PM
Ok man.
I know you think you know everything, but Arabs had a numerical AND technological adavantage on Eretz during the Arab Wars.

OK man as in let's bet, or OK man as in you concede?

No argument on my part that the Ayrabs had many more tanks and planes than the Juden.

The Centurion was a very old model, but IIRC its gun did outrange the T54s gun.

Siege

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 23, 2014, 03:11:10 PM
Quote from: Siege on November 23, 2014, 03:03:45 PM
Ok man.

OK man as in let's bet, or OK man as in you concede?

No argument on my part that the Ayrabs had many more tanks and planes than the Juden.

The Centurion was a very old model, but IIRC its gun did outrange the T54s gun.

Man, T-54 got a 100mm main gun, the D-10 gun from the SU-100.
That's 16,000m with stadiametric or laser sights.

The M-48 Patton has a 90mm main gun, effective at 17,823m but with far less armor penetration capabilities.
This lead to the myth by arm chair warriors that the M-48 was better than the T-54.

Siege

I hope you understand that all tanks are only effective at about 4000m, rendering range a measure of effectiveness against armor.