News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

In space, no one can hear you nagging

Started by Ed Anger, November 14, 2014, 11:18:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacob

Quote from: Valmy on November 14, 2014, 01:18:47 PM
What the hell?  I mean yeah I get that there are some bad dudes out there but women come up against men wearing lewd women on their shirts, calling them bitches, and have dirty pictures in their offices every single day and in every single location in all of STEM?  And this never happens in banking or journalism or any other field so they are compelled to leave?  At UT Austin I see the University working hard to get women IN those fields.  I see semiconductor companies across Austin doing extensive community outreach to try to get girls into STEM.  Maybe Texas is super advanced compared to the rest of the Western World?  Granted I live in a bubble but the constant daily harassment and negative attitudes seem hard to believe.  I can see it happening from time to time but...

and when was the last time a scientist appeared on TV wearing a dirty shirt and somehow this is typical and happens every day?  No other man from any other field in history has ever worn an inappropriate shirt this only happens in STEM?

Perhaps all this proactive outreach you encounter is intended to counter that trend?

It doesn't seem a particularly difficult concept that sexist paraphernalia is an expression of a boys club atmosphere that is unwelcoming to women, and that outreach programs exist to counter that atmosphere. Thus a sexist, unwelcoming atmosphere can coexist with programs intended to encourage women.

I mean, I don't have any particular insight into what it's like in rocket science or engineering and so on, so maybe that's not the case there - but I don't find the notion confusing.

mongers

Is this the guy with the copious colour tattoos on his legs, including one of the spacecraft?
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Legbiter

Men's contribution to society: build space ships that land on comets. Feminist's contribution to society: complain about a shirt.
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Jacob

Quote from: Legbiter on November 14, 2014, 02:15:19 PM
Men's contribution to society: build space ships that land on comets. Feminist's contribution to society: complain about a shirt.

Seems like comparison contains a category error.

grumbler

Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 14, 2014, 01:04:03 PM
Quote from: Barrister on November 14, 2014, 11:24:46 AM
Forget the pattern - why the hell is the man wearing a bowling shirt to go on tv?

Man up and wear a shirt and tie. :mad:

No shit.  Be a fucking professional.

He's dressed pretty much like professional scientists always dress.  Being a slob is part of the image.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Legbiter

Offending shirt in question.  :lol:

Even astrophysiscists are getting full sleeve tattoos now.

grumbler

Quote from: Valmy on November 14, 2014, 01:18:47 PM
QuoteThis is the sort of casual misogyny that stops women from entering certain scientific fields. They see a guy like that on TV and they don't feel welcome. They see a poster of greased up women in a colleague's office and they know they aren't respected. They hear comments about "bitches" while out at a bar with fellow science students, and they decide to change majors. And those are the women who actually make it that far. Those are the few who persevered even when they were discouraged from pursuing degrees in physics, chemistry, and math throughout high school. These are the women who forged on despite the fact that they were told by elementary school classmates and the media at large that girls who like science are nerdy and unattractive. This is the climate women who dream of working at NASA or the ESA come up against, every single day. This shirt is representative of all of that, and the ESA has yet to issue a statement or apologize for that.

What the hell?  I mean yeah I get that there are some bad dudes out there but women come up against men wearing lewd women on their shirts, calling them bitches, and have dirty pictures in their offices every single day and in every single location in all of STEM?  And this never happens in banking or journalism or any other field so they are compelled to leave?  At UT Austin I see the University working hard to get women IN those fields.  I see semiconductor companies across Austin doing extensive community outreach to try to get girls into STEM.  Maybe Texas is super advanced compared to the rest of the Western World?  Granted I live in a bubble but the constant daily harassment and negative attitudes seem hard to believe.  I can see it happening from time to time but...

and when was the last time a scientist appeared on TV wearing a dirty shirt and somehow this is typical and happens every day?  No other man from any other field in history has ever worn an inappropriate shirt this only happens in STEM?
This article is clickbait.  Yeah, the scientist-dude was dressed inappropriately to appear in the mainstream media (and no one in the media was willing to point that out to him), but so what?  To turn a stupid-looking shirt into the guy talking about "bitches' in a bar is the height of journalistic bullshit (in other words, the very thing you would expect from some random internet dude who writes for a web page called "the Verge").

Take a chill pill.  Both of the people who regularly read "the Verge" thought that this was bullshit hyperbole.  STEM is safe from bad taste in shirts.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Legbiter

KRonn

This is  very cool! Congrats to the Euro team doing it, and I hope they can get some good info from this.  :yeah:

KRonn

Heh, lol about the guy with the nerd shirt. Give him a break. He just landed a space craft on a comet! He's been locked up in the mission control for months and this is his only way to see any scantily clad women! 

Barrister

Quote from: grumbler on November 14, 2014, 02:27:36 PM
Forget the pattern - why the hell is the man wearing a bowling shirt to go on tv?

He's dressed pretty much like professional scientists always dress.  Being a slob is part of the image.

And it's wrong! :mad:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

crazy canuck

Its not so much that he didnt have the sense to wear something else.  Its that he had that thing made specifically for him.

Maximus

Quote from: grumbler on November 14, 2014, 02:27:36 PM

I'm guessing he, like most scientists, actually has interesting things to do and so doesn't have to spend time worrying about how he's dressed.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Maximus on November 14, 2014, 03:31:50 PM
I'm guessing he, like most scientists, actually has interesting things to do and so doesn't have to spend time worrying about how he's dressed.

Most people with interesting things to do can spare some time to think about how they are dressed when they are going to appear on TV.

lustindarkness

He needs a mullet to complete the image that he can save the world. ;)
Grand Duke of Lurkdom