News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Sino-American Climate Deal?

Started by jimmy olsen, November 12, 2014, 12:25:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheilbh

Well if there's no force then the best way is what I've said: economic growth, women's education and lib.

But the hard core greens I know - the zero growth type - are not terribly keen on that.
Let's bomb Russia!

mongers

Quote from: Sheilbh on November 13, 2014, 06:17:50 PM
Well if there's no force then the best way is what I've said: economic growth, women's education and lib.

But the hard core greens I know - the zero growth type - are not terribly keen on that.

I don't have a great deal of time for ideologues. 
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Jacob

Quote from: Ancient Demon on November 13, 2014, 05:55:36 PM
I'm not missing anything. Who said it should be imposed on others?

I guess the other alternative is to make a bargain that links the West cutting CO2 emissions and India and China focusing on economic growth, womens education, and health services - leading to lower birthrates. But I'm not sure how popular that type of bargain is going to be.

Sheilbh

Quote from: mongers on November 13, 2014, 06:19:49 PM

Oh they're lovely people. But then they start worrying about how old we'll live and all the kids we're having :lol:

More troublesome is that these ideas are in the Green Party who most people seem to think of as cuddly alternatives to the Lib Dems.
Let's bomb Russia!

mongers

Quote from: Sheilbh on November 13, 2014, 06:31:44 PM
Quote from: mongers on November 13, 2014, 06:19:49 PM

Oh they're lovely people. But then they start worrying about how old we'll live and all the kids we're having :lol:

More troublesome is that these ideas are in the Green Party who most people seem to think of as cuddly alternatives to the Lib Dems.

Well, the implacable opposition to nuclear energy, a jinni  already out of the bottle, at a time when all pragmatic approaches need to be tried, is just silly and makes me want to run a mile from them.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Jacob on November 13, 2014, 06:29:20 PM
I guess the other alternative is to make a bargain that links the West cutting CO2 emissions and India and China focusing on economic growth, womens education, and health services - leading to lower birthrates. But I'm not sure how popular that type of bargain is going to be.

Surely there must be alternatives other than these two.

Jacob

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 13, 2014, 06:59:29 PM

Surely. Any suggestions?

Razgovory

We could simply convince people it's not a problem and ignore it.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

mongers

Quote from: Jacob on November 13, 2014, 07:23:43 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 13, 2014, 06:59:29 PM

Surely. Any suggestions?

What about each of us paying for the CO2 to be captured that we've been responsible for releasing during our adult lives?

My estimate is a average Brit of my age has been responsible for more than 330* tonnes of C02 released into the atmosphere, since the age of 18 years.

Which you could imagine as the equivalent of a small wood of 18 or 19 english oak trees** growing to maturity over the course of 220 years.
That's how much they'd sequestrate over those centuries.

* This is an intentional underestimate as it's based only on primary energy consumption by each country, which ignores the effects of export/import of goods, represents only CO2, CO2e including other green house gases might be 20-25% higher.  Oh and because I've yet to get comprehensive historical age breakdowns by age for each country, the figures are actually per capita rather than for each adult at any particular point in time.

** 24 metres high and each comprising the equivalent of 18.2tonnes of CO2

Admiral Yi

That would be fair.  Everyone pays for every bit of carbon they release.

Maximus

Quote from: Jacob on November 13, 2014, 05:23:52 PM
Quote from: Sheilbh on November 13, 2014, 05:22:20 PM
Nothing to do with that as you know - and it can be done environmentally, just look at Scandinavia or Scotland.

I'm pretty sure Canada could save a fair amount of money (and CO2) by implementing insulation standards in buildings equivalent to those they have in Scandinavia.
Maybe further north, but last time I looked it up(which admittedly may be 10 years ago now) the Canadian standard had something like 4 times the insulation value of the Danish requirements. I had this argument with KC4 back in the day. The Danish requirement was approximately the equivalent of the Canadian standard if you took out the insulation.

Edit: According to this site it's only slightly better now. http://www.paroc.dk/Knowhow/Building-regulations/Danish-Building-regulations-in-accordance-to-BR-10?sc_lang=en

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Razgovory on November 13, 2014, 07:40:51 PM
We could simply convince people it's not a problem and ignore it.

The greatest hoax ever perpetrated on the American people. 

Jacob

Quote from: Maximus on November 13, 2014, 07:53:34 PM
Quote from: Jacob on November 13, 2014, 05:23:52 PM
Quote from: Sheilbh on November 13, 2014, 05:22:20 PM
Nothing to do with that as you know - and it can be done environmentally, just look at Scandinavia or Scotland.

I'm pretty sure Canada could save a fair amount of money (and CO2) by implementing insulation standards in buildings equivalent to those they have in Scandinavia.
Maybe further north, but last time I looked it up(which admittedly may be 10 years ago now) the Canadian standard had something like 4 times the insulation value of the Danish requirements. I had this argument with KC4 back in the day. The Danish requirement was approximately the equivalent of the Canadian standard if you took out the insulation.

Edit: According to this site it's only slightly better now. http://www.paroc.dk/Knowhow/Building-regulations/Danish-Building-regulations-in-accordance-to-BR-10?sc_lang=en

I stand corrected then. I never knew drywall + a layer of paper + some sort of cladding was that effective insulation.

mongers

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 13, 2014, 07:48:43 PM
That would be fair.  Everyone pays for every bit of carbon they release.

For the average person of my age in these countries that would be:

United Kingdom - 333 tonnes
Germany - 392 t
France - 237 t
China - 114 t
India - 30 t
USA - 709 t
Bangladesh - 8.3 t

Admiral Yi

I'm on board mongers.  Write up the treaty.