News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Sino-American Climate Deal?

Started by jimmy olsen, November 12, 2014, 12:25:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheilbh

Quote from: Ancient Demon on November 13, 2014, 05:06:45 PM
Saying brown people should have fewer children would be considered racist, so it's not something that can really be addressed in regards to environmental issues.
Saying anyone who wants lots of children should have fewer is with the zero growth stuff what makes the green movement so detestable. They're anti-human. It's perverse.
Let's bomb Russia!

mongers

Quote from: Sheilbh on November 13, 2014, 05:08:52 PM
Quote from: Ancient Demon on November 13, 2014, 05:06:45 PM
Saying brown people should have fewer children would be considered racist, so it's not something that can really be addressed in regards to environmental issues.
Saying anyone who wants lots of children should have fewer is with the zero growth stuff what makes the green movement so detestable. They're anti-human. It's perverse.

Well since children are the future, I think in any notional carbon per capita/family/national scheme, allowances should be given to those with children, say and extra 25-50 tonnes of C02e per child.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

mongers

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 13, 2014, 05:08:12 PM
Quote from: Jacob on November 13, 2014, 05:02:52 PM
Do you have a more just scheme in mind?

Not right now. 

My point is the per capita argument is not a slam dunk.

Yeah it's real tricky choosing a metric that fits your preferred outcome.

Jacob

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 13, 2014, 05:08:12 PM
Quote from: Jacob on November 13, 2014, 05:02:52 PM
Do you have a more just scheme in mind?

Not right now. 

My point is the per capita argument is not a slam dunk.

Okay, fair enough. It's the slam-dunkiest of the ones I've seen so far, but there may be better and/or more practicable approaches.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: mongers on November 13, 2014, 05:15:26 PM
Yeah it's real tricky choosing a metric that fits your preferred outcome.

It's quite easy.

MadImmortalMan

It is.

White people should stop heating their homes and stop living in cold climates. That's irresponsible.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Jacob

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on November 13, 2014, 05:19:06 PM
It is.

White people should stop heating their homes and stop living in cold climates. That's irresponsible.

What is the preferred outcome that metric serves, and who has that preference?

Sheilbh

It is.

Nothing to do with that as you know - and it can be done environmentally, just look at Scandinavia or Scotland.
Let's bomb Russia!

mongers

Quote from: Jacob on November 13, 2014, 05:21:37 PM
It is.

What is the preferred outcome that metric serves, and who has that preference?

Personally I prefer cumulative lifetime CO2 emissions since becoming an adult.

Jacob

Quote from: Sheilbh on November 13, 2014, 05:22:20 PM
Nothing to do with that as you know - and it can be done environmentally, just look at Scandinavia or Scotland.

I'm pretty sure Canada could save a fair amount of money (and CO2) by implementing insulation standards in buildings equivalent to those they have in Scandinavia.

Ancient Demon

Quote from: Sheilbh on November 13, 2014, 05:08:52 PMSaying anyone who wants lots of children should have fewer is with the zero growth stuff what makes the green movement so detestable. They're anti-human. It's perverse.

I don't see why it has to be anti-human to prefer a somewhat smaller or at least less rapidly growing human population. It's more of a quality of life vs quantity of life thing. Evidently you prefer quantity. Advocating that people have fewer children should be no more detestable than supporting the reduction of any other form of environmentally destructive activity.
Ancient Demon, formerly known as Zagys.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Jacob on November 13, 2014, 05:23:52 PM
Quote from: Sheilbh on November 13, 2014, 05:22:20 PM

I'm pretty sure Canada could save a fair amount of money (and CO2) by implementing insulation standards in buildings equivalent to those they have in Scandinavia.

I wish government would do that.  People are worried about the cost increase but when such a small percentage of the cost being made up of construction cost that argument doesnt really seem to hold.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Ancient Demon on November 13, 2014, 05:28:39 PM
I don't see why it has to be anti-human to prefer a somewhat smaller or at least less rapidly growing human population. It's more of a quality of life vs quantity of life thing. Evidently you prefer quantity. Advocating that people have fewer children should be no more detestable than supporting the reduction of any other form of environmentally destructive activity.
You're missing the bit about choice. There's nothing wrong with it, wanting to impose it on others is anti-human. Wanting to impose it on others without offering the same route that we took to a low birth-rate - economic growth, female literacy, women's lib - is just inhuman.
Let's bomb Russia!

Ancient Demon

Quote from: Sheilbh on November 13, 2014, 05:32:30 PM
You're missing the bit about choice. There's nothing wrong with it, wanting to impose it on others is anti-human. Wanting to impose it on others without offering the same route that we took to a low birth-rate - economic growth, female literacy, women's lib - is just inhuman.

I'm not missing anything. Who said it should be imposed on others?
Ancient Demon, formerly known as Zagys.