News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

An Empire of Liberty: Victoria II AAR

Started by Razgovory, November 08, 2014, 09:16:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

Fucking Whigs!  They are pacifist and won't let me wage aggressive war.  Oddly some states have let me chose twice on whether it will be a slave state of a free one.  I guess so I can piss off both sides.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Norgy

jimmy olsen

Started my own game, liberated Nicaragua from Mexico's oppressive grip in 1829 (they've annexed the USCA twice!). Had to peace out before getting Costa Rica because my debt was alarmingly high.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Viking

Quote from: jimmy olsen on November 09, 2014, 10:54:21 PM
Your ahistorical strategy fills me with rage!  :mad:

Guess that means I'll just have to download this mod and play my own game!  :bowler:
I had a go too as the US. Lost washington and colombia to britain due to the ai's ability to click immeditely and me not being able to do so. Texas got annexed by mexico, so i dowed for Nueva Leon and Chihauha to try and provoke the texas rebellion which didn't work. I did get overrun by hundreds of thousands of rebles during that war though and hte CSA declared independence. I did get NL and Chihauha out of that war. This is still in the 1830s. I dowed the CSA to restore order and fought a long war (damn those CSA generals and their mega magic army sizes) to finally annex them, all the states were returned as free. Resulting in a USA with the slavery debate still active and NO slave states in the Union. Mexioc dowed me during the war of unification and lost sonoroa. Later I dowed mexico to release california, deseret and texas on the grounds that manifest destiny didn't trigger unless texas didn't exist and I owned a texas core, hoping  they'd petition to join the union. However texas became a country with slavery outlawed so the texas annexation event didn't trigger either. Now I have to wait for the civil war and fight the CSA - AGAIN, to get texas to join me. Once that is all fixed I can fix the Washtington and Colombia issues. And, the canda issue, due to rupertsland being independent AND a major power.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Habbaku

How entertaining/possible is it to play a near-purely pacifist country in this, these days?  Ideally, I'd want to give a shot at only fighting defensive wars, if any.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Viking on November 10, 2014, 12:19:42 PM
And, the canda issue, due to rupertsland being independent AND a major power.
What? If Canada doesn't exist because Conederation failed (there was political infighting over this and the transcanadian railroad nearly went bankrupt), or chooses not to accept Rupertsland, Britain should sell it to the US. An independent Rupertsland doesn't make sense.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

Razgovory

Quote from: Habbaku on November 10, 2014, 12:29:16 PM
How entertaining/possible is it to play a near-purely pacifist country in this, these days?  Ideally, I'd want to give a shot at only fighting defensive wars, if any.

I can fight wars but I can't demand territory except for cores.  All I can do is demand they tear down their forts in a region.  The problem is only temporary.  The Whig party will go away eventually and be replaced with the Republican party who is not pacifist but is just anti-military.  So I can conquer stuff, but they don't want to pay for it.  I guess I better write up the next chapter soon.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Razgovory

Victoria 2: America Part 3

In the 1840's secessionism  is becoming a major problem.  I pass a few decisions to decrease tensions.  I'm hoping to use the increased tension in the North to get some more reforms through.  This seems to be working moderately well, I enacted non-secrets ballets (and improvement over Gerrymandering), even though support for universal suffrage is greater.  If I give the people what they want, they may become less agitated, and an agitated public gets more laws passed.  The game allowed me to release the Ostend Manifesto which I thought would give me cores on Cuba, but all it did was piss off every great power.  Even countries that by all rights shouldn't give a shit, like Bavaria.

Well, at least we got some Tax reforms.  That's a good enough reason to raise the American flag.

In 1843 my truce with Mexico ends allowing me to trigger Manifest Destiny which gives me cores on all historical American provinces.  Mexico is sent an message about possibly selling those provinces.  They refused.

That's not good enough an Empire of Liberty.

The US declares war on Mexico and Mexico's allies come to her aid (Colombia and San Salvador).  1st army in Zulia crosses the border and attacks Colombia.  US forces cross the border into Mexico at several points.  As soon as the war begins Texas asks for statehood which is given.  In April I can get another reform through, finally making ballots secret.  I've noticed that part of Colombia is occupied by Argentina and Bolivia for some stupid reason.

6th Army destroys the last of Mexican forces in California.

I get an announcement that elections coming that September.  In Mexico General Randolph Smith wins a stunning victory.

Even as the US conquers Mexico, some gaze hungrily toward British North America.  We shall not take any guff from the Brits so we elect to Fight.

Damn the British give in.  Oh, and note I sent the British an Ultimatum before the battle of Monterrey, I got the chronology wrong.

Mexico surrenders the territory soon afterword.  It's at this point I realize the flaw in my plan.  Whigs are pacifist and won't let me take any territory that is not rightfully mine.  So I can't claim any more of Mexico then I have cores on.  So now the horror of peace falls across the US.

Other countries get to have all the fun.  Some countries mock me by sending absurd requests to parade their antiquated militaries through my territory.

Oh and the Whigs won the again.  And we get a recession.  Thanks Obama.

And here's my niece looking at a caterpillar.

There is a very small uprising in Haiti which we easily put down.

And we issue Passports which helps with immigration.

And Commodore Perry goes on his historic mission.

Which immediately brings down the Japanese government.

The USA and her new acquisitions at the end of this session.

I did max out political reforms, which is bring in lots of immigrants.

The US is now the 4th greatest power on Earth. 

jimmy olsen

You should focus on clergymen in order to increase your literacy rate.

1 Karma Chameleon point

sbr

Valmy

I think you should focus on the subjugation and conquest of the Americas.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Razgovory

I noticed that when people integrate into the US they don't keep their old religion, which is disappointing.  Irish immigrants should become Catholic Yankees and I have lots of Irish.  At one point California had as many Irish as it did Mexicans.  I got to the Civil war.  I intentionally made it difficult by recruiting from both Northern and Southern states indiscriminately so the war initially looks like an enormous mutiny (the US army is quite large).

Viking

Quote from: Razgovory on November 11, 2014, 03:21:45 AM
I noticed that when people integrate into the US they don't keep their old religion, which is disappointing.  Irish immigrants should become Catholic Yankees and I have lots of Irish.  At one point California had as many Irish as it did Mexicans.  I got to the Civil war.  I intentionally made it difficult by recruiting from both Northern and Southern states indiscriminately so the war initially looks like an enormous mutiny (the US army is quite large).

Step 1. Get island
Step 2. Recruit all Dixie soldier pops as irregulars
Step 3. Place Dixie solders on island
Step 4. Have civil war
Step 5. Profit!
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Solmyr

Your foreign minister talks about "acquiring cores", you should have his head checked.

jimmy olsen

My colonial power was too low to compete with Britain in Columbia. They got both Colombia and Washington. Going to reload from the 1830 save and see if I can build enough ports and ships to raise it enough to compete.

1 Karma Chameleon point