News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

An Empire of Liberty: Victoria II AAR

Started by Razgovory, November 08, 2014, 09:16:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

"We shall divert through our own Country a branch of commerce which the European States have thought worthy of the most important struggles and sacrifices, and in the event of peace [ending the American Revolution]...we shall form to the American union a barrier against the dangerous extension of the British Province of Canada and add to the Empire of liberty an extensive and fertile Country thereby converting dangerous Enemies into valuable friends." - Jefferson to George Rogers Clark, 25 December 1780

I've decided to create a Victoria II AAR after spending over 100 hours on the game.  I remember Lettuce saying something about creating vulgar pan-American fantasies which sounded like a good idea.  For the AAR I'll be using FRAPS to take screenshots and Open Office to create notes, all screenshots are loaded via imgur.  I'm using the POPdemand Mod and the Concert of Europe starting point.  My plans are to conquer as much of the Americas as possible and humble the great powers of Europe.

Game starts on September 1st 1821.  The US is not a great power, but will quickly become one.  It is home to 9.99 million people 2.49 million are workers.  Literacy is only 40 Percent due to the large population of slaves.  I have two pressing issues, a small military and  the need to quickly expand over over the continent with colonists before the Mexicans and the British.  To colonize I need bureaucrats so I'm going to focus on that.  A larger military is easier to build, though I plan to remove the current army and build a new one because I don't like the unit names.  Once I've expanded across the continent I will try to promote liberalism.  I also may see if I can conquer Haiti.

The game starts off fairly well, Florida becomes a state in February of 1822.  Our leader is a pig headed isolationist.  Our birthrate is stable, but we are getting lots of immigrants.  Only problem is that our immigration stance causes some militancy.  Arkansas becomes a state in July and Liberia becomes a country (that I care much).  Wisconsin Iowa and Arkansas quickly follow.

In 1823 we become a great power!

Oklahoma becomes a state, and then we get a chance to initiate an event: The Trail of Tears.  While this is a bad thing, in the game it actually benefits the people involved because it makes Cherokee an accepted culture and decreases militancy.  Nothing like ethnic cleansing to create tolerance and peace.  Oh well, whatever.  I'll move them if they actually want to move.  I also begin planning for the conquest of Haiti.

n 1825 we have elections.  Violent elections.  The Democrats win with 100% of the states.  Anyway I'm have my casus belli on Haiti now.  The first step to an American empire begins!

The Democrats win with 100% of the states.  Anyway I'm have my casus belli on Haiti now.  The first step to an American empire begins!

The War with Haiti is not exactly exciting.  I land troops, and conquer the country. 

Though an unexpected consequence is horrible puppets

In 1830 we have an orderly election, which is nice.

Though we run the risk of militant pacifists.

The Democrats win this election easily as well, though not 100% of the vote.  I did get one reform through that gives proportional representation in the Senate.  Occasionally I get this event that might have been written by Lettow.

The picture is not that of a Southern belle but an Irish whore named Eliza Gilbert aka Lola Montez who caused quite a scandal in Bavaria in the early 19th century.

After about 10 years I have colonized most of North America expect those territories under Mexican rule, British rule or where technology can't cope with the harsh conditions like in Oregon.

I'm planning on doing this in 10 year chunks to make it more manageable.  Stay tunned for the 1830's!

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

jimmy olsen

Proportional representation in the Senate?

Very unamerican and ahistorical. You should have went with universal suffrage instead.

Also, why Hati? You should have went for Cuba or Texas.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Razgovory

Quote from: jimmy olsen on November 09, 2014, 12:37:46 AM
Proportional representation in the Senate?

Very unamerican and ahistorical. You should have went with universal suffrage instead.

Also, why Hati? You should have went for Cuba or Texas.

I want more reforms.  Haiti has no allies and is not part of a major nation.  It's easy to pick off.  I'll get cores on Cuba and Texas later anyway.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

jimmy olsen

Surely the universal vote reform was available.

Cores will come eventually, so that's not a big problem.

I need to install POPs of Darkness before installing Concert of Europe, right?
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

Razgovory

Yes.  Pops of Darkness and then Concert of Europe.

Lettow77

I trust you'll bring responsible government to the lawless fugitives of Haiti in the form of such stewards as can provide a guiding and redeeming hand under a more traditional authority structure?
It can't be helped...We'll have to use 'that'

jimmy olsen

You just can't resist rushing in to tell us what a terrible person you are.

1 Karma Chameleon point

garbon

Quote from: Razgovory on November 09, 2014, 06:56:31 AM

:huh:

The creator pointedly notes that you are to run CoE separately. I believe he has noted that it contains all of PoD, so two installations aren't necessary.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Razgovory

Quote from: garbon on November 09, 2014, 09:27:02 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on November 09, 2014, 06:56:31 AM

:huh:

The creator pointedly notes that you are to run CoE separately. I believe he has noted that it contains all of PoD, so two installations aren't necessary.

Oh, okay.

Razgovory

America: Part Deux

The 1830's start off well.  The economy is kicking into gear and I finally get my causi belli on the Dominican Republic.  The 1830's start off well.  The economy is kicking into gear and I finally get my causi belli on the Dominican Republic.  On June 1st of 1832 I declare war on the Dominican republic and it's ally Venezuela. 1st army still in Haiti goes into action and conquers the rest of the island.

Americans forces blockade Venezuela and invade the western portion of the country. 

After about a year of war they surrender to our demands and Zulia is welcomed into the Union.

1834 is an election year, a contentious one.

Sadly 1834 brings a recession as well.

Happily we get the Oregan trail event which lets us settle Oregon, Washington and part of Canada.

We also discover the secrets of Romanticism, which naturally leads to the development of boot factories.  No scribes allowed!

In the end, the Democrats win, but the Whigs get their best showing yet!

In 1837 Texas rebels against Mexico.

The US intervention is decisive.  Here we see Donald Hunter's 8th Army fight the biggest battle of the war.

Peace and Texan Independence is secured by the next year.

IN 1839 new elections start, which remarkably result in a Whig victory.

Toward the end of the game there are ominous rumblings.

Now here's something odd.  Hispaniola entered the Union as a slave state.  Some of the slaves are Romanian.

The United States in 1842.

Valmy

Glad to see my country learned that Gypsies are only fit for slavery!

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Ed Anger

I sorta want to play this again and kill Mexicans.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

jimmy olsen

Your ahistorical strategy fills me with rage!  :mad:

Guess that means I'll just have to download this mod and play my own game!  :bowler:

1 Karma Chameleon point

Razgovory

MadImmortalMan

"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers