Tea Party movement based in anti-minority attitudes

Started by merithyn, November 01, 2014, 12:10:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Ideologue

I had wonderful hair.  But now I'll never be a crackpot with an easy do-nothing job.  Well, not one that pays well.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Admiral Yi

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on November 03, 2014, 08:42:35 PM
Is McConnell going to lose?

CNN had him as likely to win.  And the chick he's running against looked pretty strung out.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Caliga

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 03, 2014, 09:34:23 PM
CNN had him as likely to win.  And the chick he's running against looked pretty strung out.
She's strange looking. :hmm:

Anyway I'll be voting for my boy Mitch tomorrow. :cool:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

derspiess

Quote from: Caliga on November 03, 2014, 09:48:37 PM

:punk:  I will miss Grimey's commercials, though.  MITCH THATS NOT HOW YEW HOLD A GUN
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

CountDeMoney

John McCain taking over Armed Services isn't a big deal...but Jim Imhof taking over Environment and Public Works?  That's a bigger oh noes than all the Jesus-riding-dinosaurs nuts taking over the House Committee on Science.  :bleeding:

derspiess

Hmm, I like it.  Inhofe could be the next lightning rod for the Languish Left.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

CountDeMoney

Quote from: derspiess on November 03, 2014, 10:05:36 PM
Hmm, I like it.  Inhofe could be the next lightning rod for the Languish Left.

That nasty, persistent cough your kid will develop?  Remember who to thank.

Caliga

Quote from: derspiess on November 03, 2014, 09:58:53 PM

:punk:  I will miss Grimey's commercials, though.  MITCH THATS NOT HOW YEW HOLD A GUN
ha, I've been calling her Grimey too.  :lol:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

dps

Quote from: merithyn on November 02, 2014, 10:48:42 AM
Quote from: dps on November 01, 2014, 06:33:27 PM
Quote from: merithyn on November 01, 2014, 12:10:22 PM
According to InfoPlease, the TPM started out as a revolt against Obama's plan for keeping the economy going despite the recession that was already in full swing.

That's clearly not accurate, as the movement started during the late stages of the Bush administration as a protest against the government bailing out some of the big banks.

The term "Tea Party" was coined in February 2009.... less than a month after Obama was inaugurated.

Yes, that's accurate AFAIK--the term itself wasn't used until after President Obama was inaugurated, but the movement had started some months before, and was triggered by policies adopted by the Bush administration, not by policies Barack Obama planned to introduce.

Tonitrus

Quote from: Caliga on November 03, 2014, 10:41:36 PM
Quote from: derspiess on November 03, 2014, 09:58:53 PM

ha, I've been calling her Grimey too.  :lol:

I'd hit it.

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: dps on November 03, 2014, 10:58:33 PM

Yes, that's accurate AFAIK--the term itself wasn't used until after President Obama was inaugurated, but the movement had started some months before, and was triggered by policies adopted by the Bush administration, not by policies Barack Obama planned to introduce.

I'm actually somewhat certain that Obama helped amplify the movement on purpose. It's genius. The right gave him a gift and he ran with it by making them super pissed at him. Split the GOP all up. Perfect.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers