Started by merithyn, November 01, 2014, 12:10:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MadImmortalMan

"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Ideologue

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 01, 2014, 07:32:06 PM
I could as easily say that social democrats and progressive Democrats would be stringing up kulaks except for the fear of punishment.

You could.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 01, 2014, 07:32:06 PM
I could as easily say that social democrats and progressive Democrats would be stringing up kulaks except for the fear of punishment.  It helps to have some proof to support a claim that two groups are identical.

I didn't say they were identical.  I'm saying they are manifestations of the same animus.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Razgovory on November 02, 2014, 01:18:37 AM
I didn't say they were identical.  I'm saying they are manifestations of the same animus.

You're right.

However, Seedy did say they're identical.  To which Before replied horse shit, then you challenged him.  Which leads to the inference that you agree with Seedy.

Martinus

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 01, 2014, 07:10:38 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on November 01, 2014, 06:37:10 PM
Care to tell us why?  The Tea Party seem to me to be the latest incarnation of right wing populist and nativist groups.  The Klan of the 1920's is another form.  The Klan of the 1860's and '70's is different in that it was essentially an insurgent movement against the United States.

I don't think the Tea Party has quite matched the Klan in terms of lynchings yet.

This is like saying the modern day nazis have nothing to do with 1940s' nazis because they havent sent anyone to deathcamps. You can do better than that.

Admiral Yi

Clearly you didn't spend your sabbatical thumbing through Analogies for Dummies.

The Brain

Quote from: Martinus on November 02, 2014, 04:18:10 AM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 01, 2014, 07:10:38 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on November 01, 2014, 06:37:10 PM
Care to tell us why?  The Tea Party seem to me to be the latest incarnation of right wing populist and nativist groups.  The Klan of the 1920's is another form.  The Klan of the 1860's and '70's is different in that it was essentially an insurgent movement against the United States.

I don't think the Tea Party has quite matched the Klan in terms of lynchings yet.

This is like saying the modern day nazis have nothing to do with 1940s' nazis because they havent sent anyone to deathcamps. You can do better than that.

No offense Mart, but today's Nazis got nothing on 1940s Nazis. To even suggest that they do is quite insulting.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Berkut

The Tea Party now is nothing but the worst of populist, low brow, anti-intellectual reactionary stupid party. Do they cater to racists and bigots? Of course they do - they are a model of the very worst in political lowest common denominator populism.

But that isn't what they are or were based on, it isn't what they started from. Which is really very sad. They've been completely and thoroughly co-opted by the very forces they were formed to fight.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

alfred russel

Quote from: Berkut on November 02, 2014, 09:30:47 AM
The Tea Party now is nothing but the worst of populist, low brow, anti-intellectual reactionary stupid party. Do they cater to racists and bigots? Of course they do - they are a model of the very worst in political lowest common denominator populism.

But that isn't what they are or were based on, it isn't what they started from. Which is really very sad. They've been completely and thoroughly co-opted by the very forces they were formed to fight.

A lot of it probably doesn't have to do with co-opting. There are a lot of similarities with occupy wall street on the left. You start with relatively broad based mass protests on the right / left, and after a few days or weeks the less engaged who tend to be more moderate drift away. At the same time the opposition caricatures those that are left, which causes more moderates to leave because they don't want to be associated with anything radical. In time what you have left are the goofballs.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

CountDeMoney

They never would've gotten beyond the occasional wingnut rally and a really shitty mailing list if their worst political nightmares--a black Muslim from Kenya and Hillary Clinton--weren't running for President.

merithyn

Quote from: dps on November 01, 2014, 06:33:27 PM
Quote from: merithyn on November 01, 2014, 12:10:22 PM
According to InfoPlease, the TPM started out as a revolt against Obama's plan for keeping the economy going despite the recession that was already in full swing.

That's clearly not accurate, as the movement started during the late stages of the Bush administration as a protest against the government bailing out some of the big banks.

The term "Tea Party" was coined in February 2009.... less than a month after Obama was inaugurated.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

garbon

They've been completely and thoroughly co-opted by the very forces they were formed to fight.

They were formed to fight bigots and racists? :unsure:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 02, 2014, 04:14:19 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on November 02, 2014, 01:18:37 AM

You're right.

However, Seedy did say they're identical.  To which Before replied horse shit, then you challenged him.  Which leads to the inference that you agree with Seedy.

That wasn't how I understood Seedy's statement, but I can understand your interpretation.  When we talk about the Klan I tend to think of the Klan of the 1920's which had millions of member most of whom were not violent.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

alfred russel

Quote from: Razgovory on November 02, 2014, 12:54:51 PM

That wasn't how I understood Seedy's statement, but I can understand your interpretation.  When we talk about the Klan I tend to think of the Klan of the 1920's which had millions of member most of whom were not violent.

The Klan of the 1920s may have had lots of members that were individually law abiding and non violent, but probably not collectively. There were lots of lynchings in the time period.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014