Tea Party movement based in anti-minority attitudes

Started by merithyn, November 01, 2014, 12:10:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Berkut

Quote from: garbon on November 02, 2014, 12:43:15 PM
Quote from: Berkut on November 02, 2014, 09:30:47 AM
They've been completely and thoroughly co-opted by the very forces they were formed to fight.

They were formed to fight bigots and racists? :unsure:

No, the people who co-opted them are not the people who make up the bulk of the vocal membership.

They were co-opted by the Koch's and "No government is better than Obama government" radicals. They appeal to the bigots and dumbshits because it works to get them all foaming at the mouth and demanding even more stupid and right wing morons.

This really is the exactly modern equivalent of the Know Nothing party. Sarah Palin is their perfect model politician. Ignorant and proud of it.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Razgovory

Quote from: alfred russel on November 02, 2014, 12:57:34 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on November 02, 2014, 12:54:51 PM

That wasn't how I understood Seedy's statement, but I can understand your interpretation.  When we talk about the Klan I tend to think of the Klan of the 1920's which had millions of member most of whom were not violent.

The Klan of the 1920s may have had lots of members that were individually law abiding and non violent, but probably not collectively. There were lots of lynchings in the time period.

There were lynchings yes, but the practice was in decline from the beginning of the 20th century.  There would be spikes, typically associated with economic hardship or panics about communists and such.  At it's height the Klan had something like 6 million members, it's unlikely they were all or even most of them were killers.  I think this is because the public tolerance for lynching was declining so they couldn't get away with it as often.  Oddly they didn't concern themselves with blacks much.  Blacks had been pretty much suppressed.  In fact Marcus Garvey, a major black leader, actually spoke in front of a group of Klansmen.  Mostly they were concerned about the influx of immigrants with alien religions and political ideas.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

crazy canuck

Quote from: Berkut on November 02, 2014, 01:33:44 PM
Quote from: garbon on November 02, 2014, 12:43:15 PM
Quote from: Berkut on November 02, 2014, 09:30:47 AM
They've been completely and thoroughly co-opted by the very forces they were formed to fight.

They were formed to fight bigots and racists? :unsure:

No, the people who co-opted them are not the people who make up the bulk of the vocal membership.

They were co-opted by the Koch's and "No government is better than Obama government" radicals. They appeal to the bigots and dumbshits because it works to get them all foaming at the mouth and demanding even more stupid and right wing morons.

This really is the exactly modern equivalent of the Know Nothing party. Sarah Palin is their perfect model politician. Ignorant and proud of it.

I am not sure it is all that easy to define who "they" are at any point in the Tea Party movement.  All we really have to go by are the extreme politicians and positions "they" are said to support.

Valmy

Quote from: Razgovory on November 02, 2014, 03:53:32 PM
In fact Marcus Garvey, a major black leader, actually spoke in front of a group of Klansmen.

Black Nationalists who favored segregation, like Nation of Islam types, typically got along pretty well with the Klan.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Razgovory

The Tea Party was never co-opted.  What happened was that some people wanted it to be something that it wasn't, and when they realized that it wasn't what they hoped, they claimed it somehow got hijacked.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Razgovory on November 02, 2014, 04:36:25 PM
The Tea Party was never co-opted.  What happened was that some people wanted it to be something that it wasn't, and when they realized that it wasn't what they hoped, they claimed it somehow got hijacked.

More like it was never really anything.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Valmy

This was me.  I was excited for a second that it was this anti-establishment thing and got all disillusioned it had been hijacked by the same old stale reactionary right wing people from...eh...I guess hour #2 of the first protest.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Razgovory

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on November 02, 2014, 04:41:33 PM

More like it was never really anything.

It was a vehicle to express dissatisfaction that Obama won the election.  Beyond that it was it was just hot air.

merithyn

Hot air that has caused a lot of issues with the current government.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

MadImmortalMan

I think people overestimate the importance tbh. A few mainstreamers got primaried, but the GOP never came close to being controlled by these people.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

CountDeMoney

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on November 03, 2014, 08:26:00 PM
I think people overestimate the importance tbh. A few mainstreamers got primaried, but the GOP never came close to being controlled by these people.

Wait until this time tomorrow, when a lot of committee gavels change hands in the Senate.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Ed Anger on November 03, 2014, 08:37:49 PM
Rand. :wub:

Don't get too excited. If it were going to happen in the Senate, it would have happened in the House by now. Don't look at who makes the news, look at who writes the checks.

Is McConnell going to lose?
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

CountDeMoney