Apple chief Tim Cook: 'I'm proud to be gay'

Started by Martinus, October 30, 2014, 06:56:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martinus

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 31, 2014, 02:32:48 PM
Marty has learned how to laugh about gay issues. :weep:

Well you can't be too anal about it. There will always be idiots who hate you because you are gay. But then there will also be idiots who hate you because you married a foreigner, or have brown eyes, or follow a wrong religion. So in a sense it all eventually evens out. :P

But I think you can be proud to be gay in the same way you can be proud to be Asian, or be a son of hard working immigrants, or be proud to have clever kids.

Barrister

I figure you should always try to be proud of who you are.  I mean - I'm proud of my Ukrainian heritage, but it's not like pyrogies and being dominated by Russia is much of a heritage to write home about. :)
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Martinus

Quote from: Barrister on October 31, 2014, 02:41:30 PM
I figure you should always try to be proud of who you are.  I mean - I'm proud of my Ukrainian heritage, but it's not like pyrogies and being dominated by Russia is much of a heritage to write home about. :)

Well, the way I see it, 14 years ago or so, I was dead scared someone I know would find out I am gay. And I am glad ("proud") I managed to find enough courage since then to eventually come out to my parents, my friends, my boss, go to a bunch of gay prides marches and take my boyfriend/partner to a black time work-related event. Even if it means that some people may not like me as a result. 

All of this could be summarised in an awfully imprecise and perhaps somewhat self-congratulatory "I'm proud to be gay".

Sheilbh

On the single vs married thing, surely a lot of that is to do with class?
Let's bomb Russia!

Martinus

Quote from: Sheilbh on October 31, 2014, 02:51:19 PM
On the single vs married thing, surely a lot of that is to do with class?

For you Brits everything has a lot to do with class. :P

But then, I would say being a CEO has a lot to do with class in the first place.

Berkut

"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Jacob

Quote from: Martinus on October 31, 2014, 02:49:09 PM
Quote from: Barrister on October 31, 2014, 02:41:30 PM

Well, the way I see it, 14 years ago or so, I was dead scared someone I know would find out I am gay. And I am glad ("proud") I managed to find enough courage since then to eventually come out to my parents, my friends, my boss, go to a bunch of gay prides marches and take my boyfriend/partner to a black time work-related event. Even if it means that some people may not like me as a result. 

All of this could be summarised in an awfully imprecise and perhaps somewhat self-congratulatory "I'm proud to be gay".

That sounds legit :cheers:

Razgovory

Quote from: Berkut on October 31, 2014, 12:12:07 PM
Can change his mind and won't change the subject.

I am shocked, SHOCKED to find another thread where whatever the subject might be, it has turned into another foaming mouth rant about the injustice of capitalism.

Pretty soon, I'll be held in higher esteem then Seedy is.  I think I'm getting close! :)
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

alfred russel

Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 31, 2014, 09:35:35 AM

Fuck that.  Less excuses?  How about it's my scheduled day off?  Volunteering me to work on holidays so you don't because you have kids makes me 1) hate my employer, and 2) hate your kids.

Man, you are doing it wrong. As a single person, being the guy who covers on holidays rocks.

1) holidays with the family suck anyhow. Excuses to spend only half of the week of christmas with the family instead of every god forsaken day is a godsend.
2) The rest of the office appreciates you for covering. You are: a team player. Bonus points for telling people how glad you are that everyone else got to spend christmas with their kids, as you look at their pictures that you asked to see.
3) Since no one else is working, no one will bring you problems so you can come in late, go home early, take long lunches, and primarily spend the workday convincing Berkut that the officials blew some call in a game from 10 years ago.
4) You can get make up vacation during a period of the year the rest of the office is working hard and you aren't expected to spend it with your family.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

CountDeMoney

Quote from: alfred russel on October 31, 2014, 06:12:01 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 31, 2014, 09:35:35 AM

Fuck that.  Less excuses?  How about it's my scheduled day off?  Volunteering me to work on holidays so you don't because you have kids makes me 1) hate my employer, and 2) hate your kids.

Man, you are doing it wrong. As a single person, being the guy who covers on holidays rocks.

1) holidays with the family suck anyhow. Excuses to spend only half of the week of christmas with the family instead of every god forsaken day is a godsend.
2) The rest of the office appreciates you for covering. You are: a team player. Bonus points for telling people how glad you are that everyone else got to spend christmas with their kids, as you look at their pictures that you asked to see.
3) Since no one else is working, no one will bring you problems so you can come in late, go home early, take long lunches, and primarily spend the workday convincing Berkut that the officials blew some call in a game from 10 years ago.
4) You can get make up vacation during a period of the year the rest of the office is working hard and you aren't expected to spend it with your family.

You've never been one for points, so I'll forgive you for missing this one.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Razgovory on October 31, 2014, 06:07:21 PM
Pretty soon, I'll be held in higher esteem then Seedy is.  I think I'm getting close! :)

Not until you get married and have kids.  Until then, you're just a second-rate human being.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Martinus on October 31, 2014, 02:52:50 PM
For you Brits everything has a lot to do with class. :P
True :lol:

But what I mean is that middle class people are more likely to get married, or more married people are middle class in general. So it would hardly be surprising if they earned more. Though they may have adjusted for that.

Which is why, while I'm generally supportive of pro-family policies, I'm always a bit dubious of conservatives talking about all of the benefits of marriage without also acknowledging that.

QuoteBecause he never publically acknowledged it people were still stumbling about what they could or could not say.
But he was on the front cover of Out magazine almost five years ago :blink:

He's known as a gay man, who supports gay rights publicly and whose company takes an active stance in those campaigns. I really struggle to see the difference a public statement that he is gay makes. The problem with what you could say is with the speakers. If there's a gay man then call him a gay man. There's nothing performative about coming out.
Let's bomb Russia!

Martinus

Well, many straight people were on the cover of Out. And you would be surprised how few people out of the straight public really read or are aware of these things - most straight people I talked to were not aware Tim Cook is or might be gay - now they know because this news is being reported by all major agencies. Most people are clueless about reality (especially if it does not concern the part of it they are particularly concerned with). That is why something like "glass closet" can work and Liberace's fans were convinced he is straight.

The Brain

I had never heard about Tim Cook until this thread.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.