And we're back!

Main Menu

The Old Republic - Holy F*cking Crap!

Started by jimmy olsen, June 13, 2009, 05:07:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jaron

Winner of THE grumbler point.

Darth Wagtaros

This will be a disappointment like KOTOR2.  I predict fail on an Epic level with a 30% chance of Suck.
PDH!

garbon

I predict that Wag's spitefulness will cause him to develop an ulcer. :(
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

DisturbedPervert

Watched the trailer, still have no idea what kind of game they are supposed to be showing off. 

Neil

It's being done in Austin.  Almost nobody in the Edmonton studio is involved.

Personally, I don't have much hope.  They've done some interesting stuff, but ultimately a Star Wars MMORPG suffers from the fact that everyone will play a Jedi or a Sith.  And although they're doing some work to mitigate the total lack of story in a MMORPG, ultimately you can't tell a compelling story in the genre.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: garbon on June 13, 2009, 09:09:16 PM
I predict that Wag's spitefulness will cause him to develop an ulcer. :(
:(  I don't think there's room for another under all the scar tissue.

How am I being spiteful?  It looks cool.  But I don't see it going anywhere.
PDH!

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Jaron on June 13, 2009, 05:39:49 PM
I'm not. Come on, the Matrix was like..what, 10 years ago or something? And people are still trying to rip off their cheap effects like it has any place in Star Wars.

LAME!!!

:rolleyes: I enjoyed that trailer more than the entire prequel trilogy.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Jaron

Quote from: jimmy olsen on June 13, 2009, 10:56:55 PM
Quote from: Jaron on June 13, 2009, 05:39:49 PM
I'm not. Come on, the Matrix was like..what, 10 years ago or something? And people are still trying to rip off their cheap effects like it has any place in Star Wars.

LAME!!!

:rolleyes: I enjoyed that trailer more than the entire prequel trilogy.

Yeah, you also enjoy anime so that doesn't count for much. :P
Winner of THE grumbler point.

Syt

Quote from: Neil on June 13, 2009, 09:28:31 PMPersonally, I don't have much hope.  They've done some interesting stuff, but ultimately a Star Wars MMORPG suffers from the fact that everyone will play a Jedi or a Sith.  And although they're doing some work to mitigate the total lack of story in a MMORPG, ultimately you can't tell a compelling story in the genre.

Well, LotRO shows how to put a story into an MMO (with their Epic Quest Line), so I think the devs have an example how to do it. Yes, everyone wants to be a jedi, which is one of the reasons why Star Wars Galaxies failed so badly. Moving into the Old Republic era which is still (reasonably) fresh is a good idea. From looking at the site they'll take WoW's two factioon approach, too - sith and jedi. Four classes for each side doesn't look like much, but as said - most people will want to play a jedi/sith; next in line will be bounty hunters. Soldiers? Heh. Personally, I would have favored a system where you choose a type of jedi (tank, healer, dps ...) as class, with maybe bounty hunters as a 4th or 5th class.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Solmyr

I'll be surprised if you can do half of the things shown in the trailer in the actual game.

Syt

Quote from: Solmyr on June 14, 2009, 08:46:37 AM
I'll be surprised if you can do half of the things shown in the trailer in the actual game.

Well, it will probably have as much relation to the actual game graphics or gameplay as the old WoW trailer:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hGvzz-CtKv0
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

DisturbedPervert

Quote from: Syt on June 14, 2009, 11:09:53 AM
Well, it will probably have as much relation to the actual game graphics or gameplay as the old WoW trailer:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hGvzz-CtKv0

Which is why I hate trailers like this.  They give you no idea what the game is actually like.

Drakken

Quote from: Neil on June 13, 2009, 09:28:31 PM
It's being done in Austin.  Almost nobody in the Edmonton studio is involved.

Personally, I don't have much hope.  They've done some interesting stuff, but ultimately a Star Wars MMORPG suffers from the fact that everyone will play a Jedi or a Sith.  And although they're doing some work to mitigate the total lack of story in a MMORPG, ultimately you can't tell a compelling story in the genre.+

Anyone can play a Jedi or a Sith. This is not the same BS as in SWG. However, from what I see in their forums BHs seem to be very in demand as well.

My biggest gripe, however, is diverging affiliation from faction. I can see an argument for DS force-users in the Republic, yeah sure fallen Jedi and all that shit. But LS force-users working for the Sith Empire?! WTF?! How can there be LS Siths in an Evil Empire founded on Sith codes and beliefs, with a Sith Academy making its best to make sure every Sith force-user is deep into the DS? I mean, what LS-user can survive on Korriban for more than a day without falling to the DS?! :huh:

And don't start me on the whole "Gray Jedi" bullshit... :bleeding:

I've already decided that I would play a VERY DS Sith Lord, and I will hunt down all these Gray, LS wannabees inside the Sith. There is no place in the Sith Empire for goody-goody two shoes, and I will make sure that each of them are destroyed until it becomes very unhealthy for someone not DS to live in Sith space. :menace:

What impresses me the most. however, is the fact that they want to introduce hundreds of hours of storyline for each class AND each faction, with voiceovers for both NPCs and PCs, and not one line reused for another class or faction.  I can't wait to see how it will develop. In their words it is to be KOTOR 3,4,5, until ad infinitum online.  :)

Grey Fox

I'll play the Empire, Sith or something else. I'll kill everyone all the time.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

jimmy olsen

A general star wars question here. Powerful Sith can use force lightning but I don't think I've ever seen a Jedi Knight use it. Is there an ability that a powerful Jedi can use that a Sith lord can't?
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point