Soldier shot at National War Memorial in Ottawa

Started by viper37, October 22, 2014, 09:35:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malthus

Quote from: Grey Fox on October 22, 2014, 10:44:20 AM

2nd assailment was apprently shot by the Sergeant at Arms of Parliement. That might be a first.

I came in to remark on this - rumour has it that the sergeant-at-arms for the House of Commons personally shot an assailant - pretty sure that's a first.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Malthus on October 22, 2014, 10:53:03 AM

2nd assailment was apprently shot by the Sergeant at Arms of Parliement. That might be a first.

I came in to remark on this - rumour has it that the sergeant-at-arms for the House of Commons personally shot an assailant - pretty sure that's a first.
He should be knighted by the Queen.  :bowler:
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

HVC

would have been cool if he got him with the mace
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

HVC

Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

crazy canuck

Quote from: HVC on October 22, 2014, 11:00:21 AM

would have been cool if he got him with the mace

That is exactly what my wife said as we were listening to the radio on the way to work.  :)

Jacob

Quote from: viper37 on October 22, 2014, 10:40:22 AM
Talks of 3 shooters, 2 dead.

1 solider injured and maybe another person.  It's hard to tell with live events like this, info & rumours are mixed.

Three shooters? Yeah, that makes it much more likely it's a coordinated terrorist attack rather than a single lunatic.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Jacob on October 22, 2014, 11:03:29 AM

1 solider injured and maybe another person.  It's hard to tell with live events like this, info & rumours are mixed.

Three shooters? Yeah, that makes it much more likely it's a coordinated terrorist attack rather than a single lunatic.
I don't know that's been confirmed, there are always rumors flying around in this kind of situation.

1 Karma Chameleon point

crazy canuck

Quote from: Jacob on October 22, 2014, 11:03:29 AM

The one shooter that is known was seen moving from shooting the soldier to Parliament Hill which is only about 150 meters away.  A witness said the shooter wore a scarf with arabic writing on it.  If that report is accurate it seems likely that this is not a "lunatic" but rather another radicalized terrorist.

Jacob

Quote from: crazy canuck on October 22, 2014, 11:18:36 AM
The one shooter that is known was seen moving from shooting the soldier to Parliament Hill which is only about 150 meters away.  A witness said the shooter wore a scarf with arabic writing on it.  If that report is accurate it seems likely that this is not a "lunatic" but rather another radicalized terrorist.

Yeah, though it's probably better to wait until we have more facts to draw any real conclusions.

jimmy olsen

Depending on when the shootings occurred, they look close enough to have been done by one man

map
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B0kEVftCcAAVuE5.jpg

1 Karma Chameleon point

sbr

Are there many terrorists that are not radicalized?

crazy canuck

Quote from: Jacob on October 22, 2014, 11:21:48 AM
Quote from: crazy canuck on October 22, 2014, 11:18:36 AM

Yeah, though it's probably better to wait until we have more facts to draw any real conclusions.

Agreed.  Which is why I was pointing out that the conclusion that the shooter was a "lunatic" may be a mischaracterization of what is really going on  :)

Jacob

Quote from: crazy canuck on October 22, 2014, 11:27:17 AM
Agreed.  Which is why I was pointing out that the conclusion that the shooter was a "lunatic" may be a mischaracterization of what is really going on  :)

Good point :)