• Boston
  • Philadelphia
  • Seattle
  • Denver
  • San Jose

QuoteAccess Across America: Transit 2014
About the study
Transit
This study examined the accessibility to jobs by transit in 46 of the 50 largest (by population) metropolitan areas in the United States. It is the most detailed evaluation to date of access to jobs by transit, and it allows for a direct comparison of the transit accessibility performance of America's largest metropolitan areas.

Rankings were determined by a weighted average of accessibility, giving a higher weight to closer jobs. The calculations include all components of a transit journey, including "last mile" access and egress walking segments and transfers.

The study's report presents detailed accessibility values for each metropolitan area, as well as detailed block-level maps that illustrate the spatial patterns of accessibility within each area. A separate publication—Access Across America: Transit 2014 Methodology—describes the data and methodology.

In the future, the data presented in this study will be used to complete additional analyses, published periodically. Upcoming reports in the series will explore more detailed aspects of transit accessibility to jobs, including accessibility of jobs of different wage levels and a comparison with accessibility by car.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

CountDeMoney

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

MadImmortalMan

My god. If San Fran is #2 then we're in really sad shape.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

merithyn

There are only three on that list that I'd want to live in, and two of them are in the bottom five. :(

EDIT: All three are. :cry:
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

garbon

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on October 15, 2014, 02:06:33 PM
My god. If San Fran is #2 then we're in really sad shape.

It is actually pretty easy to get everywhere in SF and now many bus stops actually have electronic monitors that tell when next bus is coming.

garbon

Quote from: merithyn on October 15, 2014, 02:06:44 PM
There are only three on that list that I'd want to live in, and two of them are in the bottom five. :(

EDIT: All three are. :cry:

I'd willingly live in the top 3. :)

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

mongers

Are there any international comparisons available ?

Would be interesting to know if these cities are generally above, below or a mixture of both, as compared to other large western cities?
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

CountDeMoney

Quote from: garbon on October 15, 2014, 02:08:38 PM

Just don't see you as LA material, g.  You're not that plastic.

Josquius

Los Angeles is number 3?
But isn't that place famous for being an inhuman hell hole where you have absolutelyno choice but to drive everywhere?
██████
██████
██████

garbon

Quote from: Tyr on October 15, 2014, 02:26:53 PM
Los Angeles is number 3?
But isn't that place famous for being an inhuman hell hole where you have absolutelyno choice but to drive everywhere?

:console:

garbon

Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 15, 2014, 02:23:43 PM
Quote from: garbon on October 15, 2014, 02:08:38 PM

Just don't see you as LA material, g.  You're not that plastic.

I think I could do Santa Monica.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Tyr on October 15, 2014, 02:26:53 PM
Los Angeles is number 3?

I guess the lack of taxis helps with funneling people to public transportation.  :lol: