Skunkworks says: Fusion Prototype in 5 Years

Started by Jacob, October 15, 2014, 12:47:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DontSayBanana

Quote from: garbon on October 15, 2014, 01:15:43 PM
This sentence seems odd:

QuoteIt is the size of a jet engine, power airplanes, spaceships, and cities—and they say it will be operative in only 10 years.

It's based on some rosy estimations.

First, they don't actually have the working prototype- they're talking about designing, building a prototype and testing it 5 times, which they're hoping to be able to cram into a year for each phase.  From there, they're estimating another 5 years to mature the technology and miniaturize it.

If they're successful, I think the bigger deal would be the proposed ability to put a powerplant for a modern city on a truck.  Having that kind of portable power generation would be a huge deal for modernizing undeveloped environments like those in Africa, the Middle East, and the Australian outback.
Experience bij!

Malthus

Anyway, is there really a *need* for a fusion-powered skunk?  :hmm:
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

KRonn

Great news indeed! I'll be looking to install a small fusion reactor in my house to power everything.   ;)

grumbler

Quote from: jimmy olsen on October 16, 2014, 07:25:10 AM
This update should have gone in the Fusion Power Megathread! :angry:

Megathreads are for megamorons.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!