US public transportation stats - 10 best cities

Started by merithyn, October 15, 2014, 01:56:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

celedhring

You can take the subway in NY and spot a wide array of people using it, middle and lower class, heck, I even saw quite a few suited types that probably think mass transit is more comfortable than driving into Manhattan every morning. Yet when I was in LA only non-wasps seemed to use it.

garbon

Quote from: celedhring on October 16, 2014, 03:32:59 AM
You can take the subway in NY and spot a wide array of people using it, middle and lower class, heck, I even saw quite a few suited types that probably think mass transit is more comfortable than driving into Manhattan every morning. Yet when I was in LA only non-wasps seemed to use it.

Sounds like the two cities have different cultural attitudes with regards to mass transit. :o
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Savonarola

Heh, if the criterion was "Number of white people taking public transportation" Detroit would rank very, very low.

The criteria they used related to availability of public transportation to jobs.  In the case of Detroit (and probably other cities) this skews the data because there is a little train that goes through the downtown area (where the jobs are); but downtown is only accessible by the unreliable bus service from the city or suburban neighborhoods.

This probably works against Chicago (and maybe Washington DC.)  While the city and inner suburb public transportation is good; a lot of jobs are in outer suburbs where public transportation isn't so available.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Ed Anger

Fun non related public transport fact:

Springfield Ohio's transport system initials is SCAT.

I still giggle everytime.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

derspiess

Too bad the Cincinnati subway was never completed.  Wonder what (if any) impact it would have had on the city's growth & decline.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Caliga

Quote from: derspiess on October 16, 2014, 09:27:35 AM
Too bad the Cincinnati subway was never completed.  Wonder what (if any) impact it would have had on the city's growth & decline.
There could have been mole people. :(
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

derspiess

Quote from: Caliga on October 16, 2014, 10:20:30 AM
Quote from: derspiess on October 16, 2014, 09:27:35 AM
There could have been mole people. :(

I think we have them and they live in the completed sections of the subway.  At least I'm assuming that's why they don't let people go down there.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

crazy canuck

You can take the subway in NY and spot a wide array of people using it, middle and lower class, heck, I even saw quite a few suited types that probably think mass transit is more comfortable than driving into Manhattan every morning.

One of the few benefits I will have when my boys leave is that I will be able to take transit downtown and join the rest of my suited neighbours on an easy and fast crossing over the bridge.

Josquius

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on October 16, 2014, 03:04:44 AM
Quote from: celedhring on October 16, 2014, 02:25:44 AM
I spent a week in LA using only public transportation since I don't drive, and if that's #3 then you're in serious trouble.

Only trouble if we don't have a car.
Which in a few decades will be most people. :contract:
██████
██████
██████

Caliga

Quote from: derspiess on October 16, 2014, 10:46:01 AM
I think we have them and they live in the completed sections of the subway.  At least I'm assuming that's why they don't let people go down there.
Probably either mole people, or C.H.U.D.s.  :hmm:

Grey Fox

Quote from: Tyr on October 16, 2014, 11:47:03 AM
I spent a week in LA using only public transportation since I don't drive, and if that's #3 then you're in serious trouble.

In America? Right after they get rid of all the guns.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Caliga on October 16, 2014, 11:55:26 AM
Quote from: derspiess on October 16, 2014, 10:46:01 AM
Probably either mole people, or C.H.U.D.s.  :hmm:

Lol,
CHUDs.  They ate a Maltese in that movie. :(

garbon

In Southern California within a few decades? Seems unlikely but maybe.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Grey Fox on October 16, 2014, 11:56:40 AM
In America? Right after they get rid of all the guns.

:yes:

The only thing worse than driving is taking mass transit.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Caliga