News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Most Agreeable Posters

Started by Jacob, October 07, 2014, 03:46:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Jacob on October 07, 2014, 03:46:41 PM
What I'm curious about is which posters do you think are most likely to change their position when faced with a reasonable argument or new evidence?

If you see something that looks like a reasonable argument, it probably isn't.  Becuase after all, this is the internet, and therefore the Bayesian prior probability of actually seeing a reasonable argument is vanishingly small.

If presented with new evidence, one should of course reconsider one's views.  But then again, if new evidence is coming in, shouldn't one say it appears the evidence is in flux and thus hold to one's position until all the facts are in?
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Martinus

I think we should have an argument over the meaning of the word "agreeable". It's the Languish way.

The Brain

This thread is turning us all to gays and yes-men.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Malthus

Quote from: Martinus on October 07, 2014, 04:24:57 PM
I think we should have an argument over the meaning of the word "agreeable". It's the Languish way.

I agree.

Oh wait, I don't.

:P
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Malthus

Actually, the Languish way would be for the winner of the "Agreeable" contest to engage, the very same day, in a no-holds-barred knock-down argument that causes at least two other posters to ragequit.  :P
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

mongers

All this agreement sickens me.  :x
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

DGuller

Eddie Teach

Cal would be a good choice, but I don't think he really participates in arguments much anymore.

Guller is agreeable in the sense that he's a good sport when made fun of. HVC too. Not the thread question, but thought I'd put that out there anyway.

Valmy maybe, though I've found him pretty tenacious at times. Perhaps "least stubborn" is more apt than "most agreeable".  :hmm:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

lustindarkness

Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Tamas

I am the most agreeable here and there is no way you can convince me otherwise.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Tamas on October 07, 2014, 04:56:26 PM
I am the most agreeable here and there is no way you can convince me otherwise.

More Pest than Bud(dh)a.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

DGuller