News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Most Agreeable Posters

Started by Jacob, October 07, 2014, 03:46:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martinus

Of those who posted so far in this thread, I would say The Brain. I also agree with Valmy. Possibly also Caliga.

These are the people who (almost) never piss me off.

Martinus

For the record, I don't think agreeable is (just) the opposite of stubborn. It also has to include, to me, qualities such as mellow, having a sense of humour and not being abrasive. I have changed my mind on many things on Languish but I would not consider myself agreeable.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Martinus on October 07, 2014, 04:09:46 PM
For the record, I don't think agreeable is (just) the opposite of stubborn. It also has to include, to me, qualities such as mellow, having a sense of humour and not being abrasive. I have changed my mind on many things on Languish but I would not consider myself agreeable.

You've become a helluvalot more agreeable since your time sitting in the corner.

I mean in the sense of being much less of a dickhead.

Martinus

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 07, 2014, 04:10:57 PM

You've become a helluvalot more agreeable since your time sitting in the corner.

Yeah but I am conciously trying and besides only because I am more agreeable it does not mean I am objectively agreeable. :P

DGuller

:hmm: One is not like the other.

a·gree·a·ble
əˈɡrēəb(ə)l/
adjective
enjoyable and pleasurable; pleasant.
"a cheerful and agreeable companion"
synonyms:   pleasant, pleasing, enjoyable, pleasurable, nice, to one's liking, appealing, charming, delightful More
antonyms:   unpleasant
willing to agree to something.
"they were agreeable to its publication"
synonyms:   willing, amenable, in accord/agreement, compliant, consenting
"we should get together for a talk, if you're agreeable"

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Martinus on October 07, 2014, 04:11:57 PM
Yeah but I am conciously trying and besides only because I am more agreeable it does not mean I am objectively agreeable. :P

Point conceded! :punk:

Malthus

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

DGuller

Quote from: Jacob on October 07, 2014, 03:46:41 PM
What I'm curious about is which posters do you think are most likely to change their position when faced with a reasonable argument or new evidence?
This kind of formulation is biased against people that are always right to begin with, and thus have no need to agree with opposing arguments.

Barrister

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 07, 2014, 04:10:57 PM

I mean in the sense of being much less of a dickhead.

:lol:

True though.  :ph34r:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Martinus

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 07, 2014, 04:14:34 PM
Quote from: Martinus on October 07, 2014, 04:11:57 PM

Point conceded! :punk:
:hug:

DGuller

If we kept him exiled for one more year, we could've made a Jacob out of him.  :hmm:

Martinus

Quote from: DGuller on October 07, 2014, 04:13:40 PM

a·gree·a·ble
əˈɡrēəb(ə)l/
adjective
synonyms:   pleasant, pleasing, enjoyable, pleasurable, nice, to one's liking, appealing, charming, delightful More
ok I guess Jacob meant it in the second sense while I was talking about the first. Second type is too boring as a person though. :P

Martinus

Quote from: DGuller on October 07, 2014, 04:17:04 PM
If we kept him exiled for one more year, we could've made a Jacob out of him.  :hmm:

Oh god no.

DGuller

Quote from: Martinus on October 07, 2014, 04:18:24 PM
Quote from: DGuller on October 07, 2014, 04:13:40 PM

a·gree·a·ble
əˈɡrēəb(ə)l/
adjective
ok I guess Jacob meant it in the second sense while I was talking about the first. Second type is too boring as a person though. :P
Agreed. :yes:

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.