News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Most Agreeable Posters

Started by Jacob, October 07, 2014, 03:46:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacob

Alright, we obviously have a lot of nominations for "the most stubborn motherfucker who won't change his mind on anything, no matter what, but just keeps arguing and misrepresenting the other side" here on languish.

What I'm curious about is which posters do you think are most likely to change their position when faced with a reasonable argument or new evidence?

This thread is for nominations, I'll do a poll in a while.

So... I ask you, who on languish is the most ready to abandon a position on reasonable terms?

Berkut

"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Ideologue

Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Barrister

It's tough to say, because we have some very nice posters who rarely engage in any heated arguments any longer.  So to have any legitimacy I think the poster has to be someone who engages in debates.

Also, we have people like yourself, Jacob (and I like to think myself) who consistently take a very pleasant tone in argueing - few ad homs or the like, but yet still rarely change their opinions.

For "most likely to change their opinion when presented with alternate evidence"... I think I'll go with Admiral Yi.  He is quick to abandon a point if it's not supported.

That is unless someone can convince me otherwise.   :ph34r:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Ideologue

Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

The Brain

I've never presented reasonable arguments so can't really say.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Berkut

Of course, there is a big difference between "agreeable" and "willing to change their mind on topics".

I don't think I am particularly agreeable, but I am quite willing to change my mind on topics.

0 rows returned

Berkut

Quote from: Barrister on October 07, 2014, 03:51:26 PM
For "most likely to change their opinion when presented with alternate evidence"... I think I'll go with Admiral Yi.  He is quick to abandon a point if it's not supported.

Abandoning a point is not the same as changing your mind though...

0 rows returned

mongers

Quote from: Berkut on October 07, 2014, 03:54:16 PM
Of course, there is a big difference between "agreeable" and "willing to change their mind on topics".

I don't think I am particularly agreeable, but I am quite willing to change my mind on topics.

You've probably changed/evolved your position on the left-right spectrum more than most posters. 

edit:
on topic, I'd say Zanza, Meri, Syt and a few others.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Berkut

Quote from: mongers on October 07, 2014, 03:55:25 PM

You've probably changed/evolved your position on the left-right spectrum more than most posters. 

Yeah, that is true.

Which is one thing that is handy about basing your positions on core ideas rather than lining up according to some position on the left-right spectrum.

0 rows returned

Malthus

I'll go with Valmy.

Most of us, though, are stubborn assholes. It's like a club for them.  :D
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Ideologue

Quote from: Berkut on October 07, 2014, 03:56:57 PM
Quote from: mongers on October 07, 2014, 03:55:25 PM

Yeah, that is true.

Which is one thing that is handy about basing your positions on core ideas rather than lining up according to some position on the left-right spectrum.

I dunno.  I've found that I'd probably be considered much lot more agreeable if I abandoned my core ideas, and just believed whatever the DNC told me to. <_<
Kinemalogue