Started by garbon, October 06, 2014, 09:37:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

Jacob

Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 07, 2014, 11:10:47 AM
Quote from: Ed Anger on October 07, 2014, 10:26:04 AM
A dollar buy many potato in Poland.

Would you say a plethora of potato?

He who purchases a plethora of potato can potentially proclaim himself the pomme de terre plenipotentiary.

Valmy

Ted Cruz leading the charge to make garbons in Iowa vote against him the primary:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/plum-line/wp/2014/10/07/morning-plum-republicans-dont-want-debate-on-gay-marriage-ted-cruz-has-other-ideas/

QuoteSenator Cruz has released a statement railing against the Supreme Court's refusal to interfere as lower courts trample on state legislatures' rights to define marriage in a way that excludes gay and lesbian couples. This is only the latest sign that Cruz intends to mount a rearguard action against the cultural change sweeping the nation for as long as he is able, or at least through the 2016 GOP presidential primary. He has very clearly telegraphed this intention. Meanwhile, pro-gay-rights conservatives are organizing within the party to compel a primary debate on gay marriage.

Some Republican operatives recognize the danger Cruz poses. GOP consultant Rick Wilson tells me:

"Putting the paddles on the chest of a divisive issue with absolutely no hope of the outcome he promises is a hallmark of Ted Cruz. When a plurality of Republicans in most polling is past this issue, it will only distract from more salient and compelling messages."

Some GOP presidential hopefuls, such as Ohio Senator Rob Portman, plainly grasp that evolving on this issue is crucial to GOP hopes of evolving along with the country's cultural and demographic shifts in ways that boost the party's chances in national elections. But, as Ed Kilgore details, there will also be a powerful incentive for anti-gay demagoguery and opportunism from those — such as Cruz and Bobby Jindal — who hope to compete for a far right slice of activist social conservatives in key early states such as Iowa. And white evangelical protestants still overwhelmingly oppose gay marriage. So this issue may not fade away as quietly as more culturally and demographically attuned Republicans might like.

LOL at Ted Cruz's "hallmark"

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Fate

The number of states is now potentially up to 35. Nevada and Idaho bans were struck down today, while Montana, Arizona, and Alaska will follow soon after.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Fate on October 07, 2014, 05:07:01 PM
The number of states is now potentially up to 35. Nevada and Idaho bans were struck down today, while Montana, Arizona, and Alaska will follow soon after.

The gay marriage industry in Vancouver was really hoping this day would never come.

Eddie Teach

Time to rebrand yourselves as a family-friendly ski resort.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

garbon

http://news.yahoo.com/justice-kennedy-blocks-gay-marriage-ruling-140751203--politics.html

QuoteJustice Kennedy blocks gay marriage ruling (Idaho/Nevada)

Supreme Court Justice Anthony Kennedy on Wednesday temporarily blocked an appeals court ruling that declared gay marriage legal in Idaho and Nevada.

Kennedy's order came a little more than an hour after Idaho filed an emergency request for an immediate stay and about 10 minutes before the state said that state and county officials would otherwise have been required to begin issuing marriage licenses to same-sex couples.

The order also applies to Nevada, where marriage licenses to same-sex couples were going to start to be issued later Wednesday.

The delay could last just a few days. Kennedy's order requested a response from the plaintiffs involved in Idaho's gay marriage lawsuit by the end of day Thursday.

The full court almost certainly would weigh in to extend the delay much beyond the weekend. That has been the justices' practice in other cases in which a single justice initially blocked a ruling from taking effect.

The 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals in San Francisco declared gay marriage legal in Idaho and Nevada on Tuesday. A day earlier, the Supreme Court let similar rulings from three other appeals courts become final and effectively raised to 30 the number of states where same-sex couples can marry, or soon will be able to do so.

Having allowed those other rulings to take effect without a full review by the Supreme Court, it would be surprising if the justices were to put the 9th circuit ruling on hold for any length of time.

The high court's action Monday suggested that only an appellate ruling upholding a gay marriage ban would prompt the court to step in.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Syt

http://www.lgbtqnation.com/2014/10/oklahoma-governor-mary-fallin-blasts-court-for-gay-marriage-decision/

QuoteOklahoma governor Mary Fallin blasts court for gay marriage decision

OKLAHOMA CITY — Gov. Mary Fallin is criticizing the federal courts for allowing gay marriage in Oklahoma, saying the decision by the U.S. Supreme Court is a violation of states' rights.

The U.S. Supreme Court without comment on Monday declined to take up an appeal in cases from several states, including Oklahoma, a move that effectively means gay marriage is legal in 30 states.

The decision was hailed by same-sex marriage supporters as a victory for gay rights, but Fallin said it infringes upon the will of Oklahoma voters, who supported a gay marriage ban in 2004 with more than 75 percent of the vote.

Fallin says the people's will has been "overridden by unelected federal justices, accountable to no one."

She says she believes Oklahoma voters have a right to define marriage.

Secession?
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Martinus

Wow it went fast.

Now it's time to look outside - the success in the US has created a backlash abroad. The fight must move there.

Valmy

Sweet.  Texas may not win the great Homophobic prize after all.

Since Mississippi did not ratify the end of slavery until 2013 I think they should win this one as well.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Valmy on October 18, 2014, 02:06:27 PM
Sweet.  Texas may not win the great Homophobic prize after all.

Since Mississippi did not ratify the end of slavery until 2013 I think they should win this one as well.

Not quite the same when the decision to allow gay marriage is not in the hands of the voters or their elected representatives. I mean, Utah was one of the earliest...
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?