News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Gift-giving failures

Started by Malthus, November 24, 2014, 04:40:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Savonarola

I had a great-aunt who was notorious for giving odd gifts at Christmastime.  She gave me a paint brush when I was 10; not an artists brush, but one you would use to paint the walls.  One year she gave my dad a 4 LP set of "Amos and Andy" but with only 1 LP.  (Presumably she had given the other three records to other people; and gave my dad both the album box and the first record.)  This was in the 1980s, long after it would have been acceptable to listen to Amos and Andy, so I'm not even sure where she found it.

(We weren't allowed to listen to it.  It got "Lost" pretty quickly, much like the dart board one of friends had given me for my seventh birthday.)
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Malthus

Quote from: Savonarola on November 25, 2014, 11:25:25 AM
I had a great-aunt who was notorious for giving odd gifts at Christmastime.  She gave me a paint brush when I was 10; not an artists brush, but one you would use to paint the walls.  One year she gave my dad a 4 LP set of "Amos and Andy" but with only 1 LP.  (Presumably she had given the other three records to other people; and gave my dad both the album box and the first record.)  This was in the 1980s, long after it would have been acceptable to listen to Amos and Andy, so I'm not even sure where she found it.

(We weren't allowed to listen to it.  It got "Lost" pretty quickly, much like the dart board one of friends had given me for my seventh birthday.)

At least it wasn't lawn darts ...  :D
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Brazen

Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 25, 2014, 09:03:21 AM
"Here are some chocolates.  I left the ones with nuts in them."
"I had to suck the chocolate off to check which they were."

crazy canuck

Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 24, 2014, 10:58:28 PM
A few years ago, my brother-in-law was having issues with groundhogs and other varmints on their property;  his mother was so sympathetic, she bought a rifle for him as a Christmas present, and tried to board the plane in St. Louis with it.  :lol:

But he needs it for Squirrels and such

CountDeMoney

Quote from: crazy canuck on November 25, 2014, 04:20:17 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 24, 2014, 10:58:28 PM
A few years ago, my brother-in-law was having issues with groundhogs and other varmints on their property;  his mother was so sympathetic, she bought a rifle for him as a Christmas present, and tried to board the plane in St. Louis with it.  :lol:

But he needs it for Squirrels and such

Varmint Cong.