High court ruling may lead to gay marriage in 30 states

Started by garbon, October 06, 2014, 09:37:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2014/10/06/supreme-court-gay-marriage/16546959/

I know there is a gay legal rulings thread but fuck it. :swiss:

QuoteThe Supreme Court refused to get involved in the national debate over same-sex marriage Monday, leaving intact lower court rulings that will legalize the practice in 11 additional states.

The unexpected decision by the justices, announced without further explanation, immediately affects five states in which federal appeals courts had struck down bans against gay marriage: Virginia, Indiana, Wisconsin, Oklahoma and Utah.

It also will bring along six other states located in the judicial circuits overseen by those appellate courts: North Carolina, South Carolina, West Virginia, Colorado, Kansas and Wyoming. Lower court judges in those states must abide by their appeals court rulings.

The action eventually will bring to 30 the number of states where gays and lesbians can marry. Appeals courts in Cincinnati and San Francisco are considering cases that could expand that number further, presuming the Supreme Court remains outside the legal fray.

"The court's letting stand these victories means that gay couples will soon share in the freedom to marry in 30 states, representing 60% of the American people," said Evan Wolfson, president of Freedom to Marry. "But we are one country, with one Constitution, and the court's delay in affirming the freedom to marry nationwide prolongs the patchwork of state-to-state discrimination and the harms and indignity that the denial of marriage still inflicts on too many couples in too many places."

Most court-watchers had predicted the justices would hear one or more cases this term and issue a verdict with nationwide implications by next June. But the justices, perhaps sensing that the country is headed toward legalizing gay marriage without their involvement, chose to deny states' appeals.

What happens now will occur in stages. The five states whose petitions were denied will have same-sex marriages almost immediately. In the other six, at least one more court proceeding will be necessary.

And the number could quickly expand to 35 states if the 9th Circuit Court of Appeals denies bans in Idaho and Nevada, which could happen any day. That ruling would affect Alaska, Arizona and Montana as well, eventually bringing the number of states with gay marriage to 35.

Cases from Michigan, Ohio, Kentucky and Tennessee are pending before the 6th Circuit appeals court, which has been seen as a panel that could uphold bans in those states. If it goes the same way as the others, the list of states could expand to 39.

Nineteen states and the District of Columbia permit same-sex marriage, and the high court ruled last year that the federal government cannot deny benefits to such couples. It sidestepped the remaining state laws by taking no position on the merits of California's ban, which had been struck down by lower federal courts.

Since those decisions were handed down, six additional states have legalized gay marriage, and federal and state judges in at least 14 more states have overturned marriage bans, beginning with Utah last December. All those rulings had been put on hold during the appeals process, leaving 31 bans in place -- until Monday.

"Any time same-sex couples are extended marriage equality is something to celebrate, and today is a joyous day for thousands of couples across America who will immediately feel the impact of today's Supreme Court action," said Chad Griffin, president of the Human Rights Campaign, the nation's largest gay rights organization. "But ... the complex and discriminatory patchwork of marriage laws that was prolonged today by the Supreme Court is unsustainable. The only acceptable solution is nationwide marriage equality."

The cases that had been under consideration included those from three federal appeals courts:

• A three-judge panel of the U.S. Court of Appeals for the 10th Circuit ruled 2-1 in June and July that same-sex couples in Utah and Oklahoma have "the same fundamental right" to marry as heterosexuals.

• A three-judge panel of the U.S. Court of Appeals for the 4th Circuit ruled 2-1 in July that gay men and lesbians have a constitutional right to marry that is paramount to state marriage laws.

• A three-judge panel of the U.S. Court of Appeals for the 7th Circuit declared unanimously last month that gay marriage bans in Indiana and Wisconsin threaten "the welfare of American children."

Last month, a federal district judge in Louisiana became the first to uphold a state's ban in the wake of last year's Supreme Court rulings. Until then, gay marriage proponents had won every federal case.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

CountDeMoney

Oh noes, first ISIS and Ebola, now this.  Obama is destroying America, et cetera.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 06, 2014, 09:58:44 AM
Oh noes, first ISIS and Ebola, now this.  Obama is destroying America, et cetera.

You left off the devastating blow the Crimean annexation did to America. And Benghazi of course, still gnawing at the national psyche.  :mad:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

DontSayBanana

Wow.  For once, the justices resisted the temptation to legislate from the bench.  I'm surprised and slightly impressed.  Maybe they figured the public needed some time to forget Scalia's on the bench?
Experience bij!

garbon

And yes, Sheilbh, soon we can say that the fat lady has sung.

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Valmy

Wyoming, Utah, Oklahoma...so many gay friendly states out there.

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Sheilbh

Quote from: garbon on October 06, 2014, 05:17:43 PM
And yes, Sheilbh, soon we can say that the fat lady has sung.
:lol: Only reason I'm in the thread :P

She's not just singing. She's doing a victory lap in a chariot belting out Ride of the Valkyries.

So now, in victory magnanimity :)
Let's bomb Russia!

Malthus

Quote from: Valmy on October 06, 2014, 05:21:10 PM

And there you are, stuck in Texas.  :P
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Valmy

Quote from: Malthus on October 06, 2014, 05:45:35 PM
Quote from: Valmy on October 06, 2014, 05:21:10 PM

And there you are, stuck in Texas.  :P

We just need to beat out Mississippi.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Legbiter

So gays can now get reamed out in divorce courts like the rest of the proles. That's going to make the lawyers happy. :D
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Legbiter on October 07, 2014, 07:59:31 AM
So gays can now get reamed out in divorce courts like the rest of the proles. That's going to make the lawyers happy. :D

Except maybe the gay ones.  :P
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Malthus

Quote from: Legbiter on October 07, 2014, 07:59:31 AM

It's win-win.  :)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

CountDeMoney

Martinus

I wish I got a dollar every time I hear someone make a variation of the hack joke "So gays can now be as miserable as the rest of us, ol' ball and chain, amirite?"  :rolleyes:

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive