Science Says: Internet Trolls = Genuinely Bad People

Started by Jacob, October 03, 2014, 06:14:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacob

Okay, maybe that's a slightly lurid interpretation, but:

QuoteIn this month's issue of Personality and Individual Differences, a study was published that confirms what we all suspected: Internet trolls are horrible people.

Let's start by getting our definitions straight: An Internet troll is someone who comes into a discussion and posts comments designed to upset or disrupt the conversation. Often, in fact, it seems like there is no real purpose behind their comments except to upset everyone else involved. Trolls will lie, exaggerate, and offend to get a response.

What kind of person would do this? Some Canadian researchers decided to find out.

They conducted two online studies with over 1,200 people, giving personality tests to each subject along with a survey about their Internet commenting behavior. They were looking for evidence that linked trolling with the "Dark Tetrad" of personality traits: narcissism, Machiavellianism, psychopathy, and sadism.

They found that Dark Tetrad scores were highest among people who said trolling was their favorite Internet activity. To get an idea of how much more prevalent these traits were among Internet trolls, see this figure from the paper:

Look at how low the Dark Tetrad scores are for everyone except the trolls! Their scores for all four traits soar on the chart. The relationship between trolling and the Dark Tetrad is so significant that the authors write in their paper:

"... the associations between sadism and GAIT (Global Assessment of Internet Trolling) scores were so strong that it might be said that online trolls are prototypical everyday sadists."

Trolls truly enjoy making you feel bad. To quote the authors once more (because this is a truly quotable article): "Both trolls and sadists feel sadistic glee at the distress of others. Sadists just want to have fun ... and the Internet is their playground!"

http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/your-online-secrets/201409/internet-trolls-are-narcissists-psychopaths-and-sadists

mongers

Damn, I'm sure no one ever mentioned they'd be studying us when we registered at Languish.  <_<
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Admiral Yi

Curious as to what Machiavellianism is and how it's a negative trait.

Jacob

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 03, 2014, 06:27:23 PM

Wikipedia to the rescue!

Quote from: WikipediaMachiavellianism is also a term that some social and personality psychologists use to describe a person's tendency to be unemotional, and therefore able to detach him or herself from conventional morality and hence to deceive and manipulate others. In the 1960s, Richard Christie and Florence L. Geis developed a test for measuring a person's level of Machiavellianism (sometimes referred to as the Machiavelli test). Their Mach - IV test, a twenty-statement personality survey, became the standard self-assessment tool of Machiavellianism. People scoring high on the scale (high Machs) tend to endorse statements such as, "Never tell anyone the real reason you did something unless it is useful to do so," (No. 1) but not ones like, "Most people are basically good and kind" (No. 4), "There is no excuse for lying to someone else," (No. 7) or "Most people who get ahead in the world lead clean, moral lives" (No. 11). Using their scale, Christie and Geis conducted multiple experimental tests that showed that the interpersonal strategies and behavior of "High Machs" and "Low Machs" differ. Their basic results have been widely replicated.

QuoteMachiavellianism is one of the three personality traits referred to as the dark triad, along with narcissism and psychopathy. Some psychologists consider Machiavellianism to be essentially a subclinical form of psychopathy...

QuoteMachiavellianism has been found to lie diagonally opposite from a circumplex construct called self-construal, a tendency to prefer communion over agency. This suggests that people high in machiavellianism do not simply wish to achieve, they wish to do so at the expense of (or at least without regard to) others.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Machiavellianism#Psychology

So, apparently, Machiavellianism is the tendency to hide your motivations and manipulate others to get what you want, without regard to how it affects them (or possibly even taking pleasure in the negative impact on them).

Capetan Mihali

It's the tendency to violently advocate for gaoling the indigenous peoples of the frozen North American tundra.
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

LaCroix

"favorite activity online." sure, that makes sense, but it doesn't really help to find out whether internet trolls are terrible people

Jacob

Quote from: LaCroix on October 03, 2014, 06:50:03 PM
"favorite activity online." sure, that makes sense, but it doesn't really help to find out whether internet trolls are terrible people

There's a strong correspondence between:

1) Trolling being a favourite activity online

2) High scores in the "dark triad" personality traits (amusingly breaking down to more than three traits: machiavellianism, narcissism, psychopathy, direct sadism, and vicarious sadism). This is colloquially rephrased as "being terrible people".

... seems close enough for pop-science reporting.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Jacob on October 03, 2014, 06:34:33 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 03, 2014, 06:27:23 PM

Wikipedia to the rescue!

Quote from: WikipediaMachiavellianism is also a term that some social and personality psychologists use to describe a person's tendency to be unemotional, and therefore able to detach him or herself from conventional morality and hence to deceive and manipulate others. In the 1960s, Richard Christie and Florence L. Geis developed a test for measuring a person's level of Machiavellianism (sometimes referred to as the Machiavelli test). Their Mach - IV test, a twenty-statement personality survey, became the standard self-assessment tool of Machiavellianism. People scoring high on the scale (high Machs) tend to endorse statements such as, "Never tell anyone the real reason you did something unless it is useful to do so," (No. 1) but not ones like, "Most people are basically good and kind" (No. 4), "There is no excuse for lying to someone else," (No. 7) or "Most people who get ahead in the world lead clean, moral lives" (No. 11). Using their scale, Christie and Geis conducted multiple experimental tests that showed that the interpersonal strategies and behavior of "High Machs" and "Low Machs" differ. Their basic results have been widely replicated.

QuoteMachiavellianism is one of the three personality traits referred to as the dark triad, along with narcissism and psychopathy. Some psychologists consider Machiavellianism to be essentially a subclinical form of psychopathy...

QuoteMachiavellianism has been found to lie diagonally opposite from a circumplex construct called self-construal, a tendency to prefer communion over agency. This suggests that people high in machiavellianism do not simply wish to achieve, they wish to do so at the expense of (or at least without regard to) others.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Machiavellianism#Psychology

So, apparently, Machiavellianism is the tendency to hide your motivations and manipulate others to get what you want, without regard to how it affects them (or possibly even taking pleasure in the negative impact on them).

In short, "Machiavellianism" is simply a catchy phrase coined for a field that relies on labels by individuals who have never read a single word by Machiavelli.

Ideologue

Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

garbon

So what's in other that's not debating/chatting? Tim news posts?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

CountDeMoney

garbon

Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 03, 2014, 07:27:39 PM
In short, "Machiavellianism" is simply a catchy phrase coined for a field that relies on labels by individuals who have never read a single word by Machiavelli.

Okay this is really bad of me. Thinking what I know of Machiavelli - I was going to define the term as "being a sad sack who is all QQ when he can't get a job."

:( :( :( :( :(
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: garbon on October 03, 2014, 07:42:21 PM

Okay this is really bad of me. Thinking what I know of Machiavelli - I was going to define the term as "being a sad sack who is all QQ when he can't get a job."

:( :( :( :( :(

Well, that would be incorrect.

Valmy

Trolls are pretty horrible.  It is amazing the sort of chaos and harm you can cause just be being a horrible person with an internet connection.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Razgovory

That's fair, but they probably haven't read up on Sade's work either.  Actually, I'm willing to bet you are the only one on this board who's read his works.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017