Science Says: Internet Trolls = Genuinely Bad People

Started by Jacob, October 03, 2014, 06:14:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martinus

Quote from: DGuller on October 03, 2014, 09:56:38 PM
How is trolling defined?  Is it just being an ass in an Internet discussion for its own sake, or is it more malicious than that?

I think being an ass in an Internet discussion for its own sake falls under the "debaters". Who, by the way, also seem like bad people but less than trolls.

Martinus

Quote from: Razgovory on October 03, 2014, 07:57:13 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 03, 2014, 07:27:39 PM

In short, "Machiavellianism" is simply a catchy phrase coined for a field that relies on labels by individuals who have never read a single word by Machiavelli.

That's fair, but they probably haven't read up on Sade's work either.  Actually, I'm willing to bet you are the only one on this board who's read his works.

I read Sade's works. And machiavellanism is a well recognised term for manipulative behaviour.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Martinus on October 04, 2014, 12:24:51 AM
And machiavellanism is a well recognised term for manipulative behaviour.

It's a bullshit term.

Martinus

Incidentally, most gay people I know (myself included) display various degrees of Machiavellian and Narcissistic behaviour.

I guess growing up in a (potentially) hostile environment, where you have a secret which, when revealed could potentially turn any stranger, friend or even family member into - sometimes violent - foe, but at the same time makes you seem more unique and interesting to other people, does stuff to your head. :P

Admiral Yi

Camille Paglia proposed that the psychological root of homosexuality is narcissism.  You love yourself so much you try to fuck yourself.

Martinus

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 04, 2014, 12:43:09 AM
Camille Paglia proposed that the psychological root of homosexuality is narcissism.  You love yourself so much you try to fuck yourself.

Wouldn't psychological orientation be developed before someone has a time to develop narcissism?

MadImmortalMan

I don't see why a person can't be born with some narcissism.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Martinus on October 04, 2014, 12:40:35 AM
Incidentally, most gay people I know (myself included) display various degrees of Machiavellian and Narcissistic behaviour.

I guess growing up in a (potentially) hostile environment, where you have a secret which, when revealed could potentially turn any stranger, friend or even family member into - sometimes violent - foe, but at the same time makes you seem more unique and interesting to other people, does stuff to your head. :P

So what you're saying is that gays are bad people?  :hmm:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Razgovory

Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 04, 2014, 12:05:43 AM
Quote from: DGuller on October 03, 2014, 11:37:07 PM
As I read through all 14 pages of the HK thread, I was wondering whether Mono is a troll or a psychopath.

He's neither;  he's Chinese, and that thread simply illustrates his Chineseness.

Fuck, when it comes down to it, a lot of posters here are like him.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Martinus

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on October 04, 2014, 12:59:07 AM
Quote from: Martinus on October 04, 2014, 12:40:35 AM

So what you're saying is that gays are bad people?  :hmm:

Not bad per se but pretty fucked up and difficult, yes.

Martinus

There is also an effect that I could call a reverse homophobia. Generally, any time someone is mean to you or treats you poorly or does not give you something you think you deserve, you tend to blame this on that person's homophobia. While this is often true, it also tends to lead to a victim mentality and does not lend itself well to self-reflection (whereas, in some cases, people may treat you badly just because you are genuinely obnoxious, and not because you are gay). I suppose other minorities/discriminated groups have this too.

The Brain

Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 04, 2014, 12:27:57 AM
Quote from: Martinus on October 04, 2014, 12:24:51 AM
And machiavellanism is a well recognised term for manipulative behaviour.

It's a bullshit term.

:yes:

Soft heads lead to soft science.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

The Brain

Quote from: Martinus on October 04, 2014, 02:10:59 AM
There is also an effect that I could call a reverse homophobia.

2014: Mart discovers homosexuality. :wacko:
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Razgovory

Quote from: Syt on October 04, 2014, 12:22:54 AM
Quote from: Jacob on October 03, 2014, 06:59:36 PM2) High scores in the "dark triad" personality traits (amusingly breaking down to more than three traits: machiavellianism, narcissism, psychopathy, direct sadism, and vicarious sadism).

The article calls it "Tetrad", with the forth trait, sadism, being split into two subgroups. [/nitpick] ;)

Dark Triad is the more popular term.  I don't think the idea ever got a great deal of traction outside pop psychology.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

LaCroix

Quote from: Jacob on October 03, 2014, 06:59:36 PMThere's a strong correspondence between:

1) Trolling being a favourite activity online

2) High scores in the "dark triad" personality traits (amusingly breaking down to more than three traits: machiavellianism, narcissism, psychopathy, direct sadism, and vicarious sadism). This is colloquially rephrased as "being terrible people".

... seems close enough for pop-science reporting.

my point focused more on people reporting "favorite" activity. people troll in many ways, whether it's to mock someone they've beat in an online game or post an incendiary youtube comment. but,  i'm not sure how many people would actually say "trolling is my favorite internet activity" when there are so many internet activities. it makes sense some pretty deranged people answer that's their favorite activity online, but normal internet trolls probably do not consider trolling their favorite internet activity. it's a flawed argument. some internet trolls are awful people, but not all internet trolls are awful people.