Science Says: Internet Trolls = Genuinely Bad People

Started by Jacob, October 03, 2014, 06:14:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Quote from: Martinus on October 04, 2014, 02:10:59 AM
There is also an effect that I could call a reverse homophobia. Generally, any time someone is mean to you or treats you poorly or does not give you something you think you deserve, you tend to blame this on that person's homophobia. While this is often true, it also tends to lead to a victim mentality and does not lend itself well to self-reflection (whereas, in some cases, people may treat you badly just because you are genuinely obnoxious, and not because you are gay). I suppose other minorities/discriminated groups have this too.

Is a "you" in this paragraph a stand in for "Martinus"? :unsure:

Also from your earlier post, I would suggest meeting more gay people. Most I know do not fit your description.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Quote from: LaCroix on October 04, 2014, 04:41:50 AM
Quote from: Jacob on October 03, 2014, 06:59:36 PMThere's a strong correspondence between:

1) Trolling being a favourite activity online

2) High scores in the "dark triad" personality traits (amusingly breaking down to more than three traits: machiavellianism, narcissism, psychopathy, direct sadism, and vicarious sadism). This is colloquially rephrased as "being terrible people".

... seems close enough for pop-science reporting.

my point focused more on people reporting "favorite" activity. people troll in many ways, whether it's to mock someone they've beat in an online game or post an incendiary youtube comment. but,  i'm not sure how many people would actually say "trolling is my favorite internet activity" when there are so many internet activities. it makes sense some pretty deranged people answer that's their favorite activity online, but normal internet trolls probably do not consider trolling their favorite internet activity. it's a flawed argument. some internet trolls are awful people, but not all internet trolls are awful people.

Of course the graph demonstrates that question was favorite activity when posting online. I think that's very different from favorite Internet activity.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Jacob

Quote from: garbon on October 04, 2014, 06:34:04 AM
Quote from: LaCroix on October 04, 2014, 04:41:50 AM
Quote from: Jacob on October 03, 2014, 06:59:36 PMThere's a strong correspondence between:

1) Trolling being a favourite activity online

2) High scores in the "dark triad" personality traits (amusingly breaking down to more than three traits: machiavellianism, narcissism, psychopathy, direct sadism, and vicarious sadism). This is colloquially rephrased as "being terrible people".

... seems close enough for pop-science reporting.

my point focused more on people reporting "favorite" activity. people troll in many ways, whether it's to mock someone they've beat in an online game or post an incendiary youtube comment. but,  i'm not sure how many people would actually say "trolling is my favorite internet activity" when there are so many internet activities. it makes sense some pretty deranged people answer that's their favorite activity online, but normal internet trolls probably do not consider trolling their favorite internet activity. it's a flawed argument. some internet trolls are awful people, but not all internet trolls are awful people.

Of course the graph demonstrates that question was favorite activity when posting online. I think that's very different from favorite Internet activity.

Sounds to me that lacroix is telling us that he's not awful people in spite of enjoying being a troll?

garbon

LaCroix

Quote from: garbon on October 04, 2014, 06:34:04 AMOf course the graph demonstrates that question was favorite activity when posting online. I think that's very different from favorite Internet activity.

ah, yeah. mistake on my part. but, it still doesn't really change my point. it's not a great indicator because it doesn't include the numbers for people who just like to troll occasionally.

Quote from: JacobSounds to me that lacroix is telling us that he's not awful people in spite of enjoying being a troll?

:D

nope, awful is kind of subjective. i absolutely have narcissistic traits (though i don't think i have NPD). i was just pointing out that the study is really flawed.

Capetan Mihali

Quote from: Razgovory on October 04, 2014, 03:46:54 AM
Quote from: Syt on October 04, 2014, 12:22:54 AM
Quote from: Jacob on October 03, 2014, 06:59:36 PM2) High scores in the "dark triad" personality traits (amusingly breaking down to more than three traits: machiavellianism, narcissism, psychopathy, direct sadism, and vicarious sadism).

The article calls it "Tetrad", with the forth trait, sadism, being split into two subgroups. [/nitpick] ;)

Dark Triad is the more popular term.  I don't think the idea ever got a great deal of traction outside pop psychology.

Isn't the "dark triad" the serial killer thing about bedwetting, torturing animals, and something else?
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

grumbler

Quote from: Capetan Mihali on October 04, 2014, 01:07:38 PM
Isn't the "dark triad" the serial killer thing about bedwetting, torturing animals, and something else?

I've only heard of it in terms of the (IIRC) callous-manipulative personality type.  There may be a triad type thing associated with serial killers, but I don't think it is called "the dark triad."
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Razgovory

Quote from: Jacob on October 03, 2014, 06:59:36 PM2) High scores in the "dark triad" personality traits (amusingly breaking down to more than three traits: machiavellianism, narcissism, psychopathy, direct sadism, and vicarious sadism).

The article calls it "Tetrad", with the forth trait, sadism, being split into two subgroups. [/nitpick] ;)

Dark Triad is the more popular term.  I don't think the idea ever got a great deal of traction outside pop psychology.

That's a different triads.  There are more triads in Psychology then there are in China.

That's a the MacMillian triad.  There are more triads in Psychology then there are in China.  It's BS though.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Razgovory on October 04, 2014, 02:23:11 PM
That's a the MacMillian triad.  There are more triads in Psychology then there are in China.  It's BS though.

The MacMillian triad, or Psychology?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Martinus

Quote from: garbon on October 04, 2014, 06:32:19 AM
Quote from: Martinus on October 04, 2014, 02:10:59 AM
There is also an effect that I could call a reverse homophobia. Generally, any time someone is mean to you or treats you poorly or does not give you something you think you deserve, you tend to blame this on that person's homophobia. While this is often true, it also tends to lead to a victim mentality and does not lend itself well to self-reflection (whereas, in some cases, people may treat you badly just because you are genuinely obnoxious, and not because you are gay). I suppose other minorities/discriminated groups have this too.

Is a "you" in this paragraph a stand in for "Martinus"? :unsure:

Also from your earlier post, I would suggest meeting more gay people. Most I know do not fit your description.

Well, I count you among those who do.  :secret:

Razgovory

I got the name wrong.  I ,looked it up, it's the MacDonald Triad.  As if there aren't enough clowns in Psychology. :glare:

CountDeMoney

Martinus

Martinus

The third one is probably about, you know, killing many people. :P