Dispatches from the State Ministry of Truth

Started by Jacob, September 22, 2014, 10:05:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tonitrus

Quote from: Monoriu on October 13, 2014, 10:55:30 PM
Quote from: Tonitrus on October 13, 2014, 10:53:55 PM

It's rather sad that in 21st century, not even being ruled by Communists will get you a welfare state.   :(

Capitalism has truly won.

Do you know that, on the mainland, they charge fees for entry into public parks?   :lol:

National Parks (and most federal public lands) require payment, and probably most State parks.  Enforcement to many of those is more spotty...usually just requiring you to buy a tag you hang in your car. 

If city parks required it (the kind that most people stumble into on a daily basis), that would get silly real fast.

Monoriu

Quote from: DontSayBanana on October 13, 2014, 11:14:23 PM
Quote from: Monoriu on October 13, 2014, 10:55:30 PM
Do you know that, on the mainland, they charge fees for entry into public parks?   :lol:

Happens from time to time here, too.  A lot of museums and "public" sites can only be accessed after making a "minimum donation" toward the organizers of the site.  On a school trip to New York City, we all had to bring a dollar to "donate" so we could get into the Cathedral of St John the Divine, for example.

Yeah I was once asked to donate A$10 in Australia when I tried to get into a museum. 

I said we won't donate.  They let us in, with a big frown :contract:

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Monoriu on October 13, 2014, 11:16:04 PM
Yeah I was once asked to donate A$10 in Australia when I tried to get into a museum. 

Yes, well, over here in The Land of the Free(TM), they're pretty clear about that "donation" being mandatory.
Experience bij!

Tonitrus

Quote from: DontSayBanana on October 13, 2014, 11:32:26 PM
Quote from: Monoriu on October 13, 2014, 11:16:04 PM

Yes, well, over here in The Land of the Free(TM), they're pretty clear about that "donation" being mandatory.

Mono goes out of his way to ruin the reputation of Chinese tourists.  :)

Monoriu

Queensway, westbound is now open for traffic.  It is only half a road, but bit by bit, we take back our roads.  We defeat civil disobedience as a tool.  We get our normalcy and status quo back  :cool:

Monoriu

Queensway, east bound is open as well :yeah:  That's one of the major east west arteries of HK Island.  Police have announced that they will not permit the rioters from blocking that road again.  I hope you guys keep your promise this time  :glare:

Just came back from lunch, and one of the restaurants that I frequent only has about 20% business left :weep:

I saw the riot leaders and presidents of student unions on my way back to the office.  I gave them death glares  :mad:

Monoriu

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-china-29609461
Quote14 October 2014 Last updated at 03:48

Hong Kong protests: Police remove more barricades Hong Kong police said the operations were aimed at easing road congestion, not removing protesters

Hundreds of police have used chainsaws and bolt-cutters to dismantle barricades put up by pro-democracy activists near the government offices in Hong Kong.

They also re-opened a main thoroughfare in Causeway Bay, a shopping district.

It is the second day of operations which police say are to ease traffic disruption, not clear the protesters.

Demonstrators have occupied parts of Hong Kong for more than two weeks.

The activists, a mix of students and a pro-democracy group called Occupy Central, are demanding a fully democratic election in 2017.

China, which has control over Hong Kong, says residents can vote - but it will vet which candidates are eligible to stand.

Protesters reinforced their barricades after the first removal operation on Monday
On Monday, scuffles broke out between those opposed to the Occupy movement and demonstrators after police removed some barricades in Central district.

Men wearing surgical masks charged at the barricades and tried to remove them.

In a similar clash at the protest site in Mong Kok 10 days ago police said some of those involved had triad backgrounds.

Democratic Party lawmaker Albert Ho told AFP news agency on Monday that this was "one of the tactics used by the communists in mainland China from time to time. They use triads or pro-government mobs to try to attack you so the government will not have to assume responsibility".

Later on Monday protesters reinforced their barricades, building bamboo barriers and cement foundations.

Stores in the busy shopping area of Causeway Bay have been hit by the protests
On Tuesday, police arrived with bolt cutters, chainsaws and sledgehammers. Local media said they were using the chainsaw to cut through the bamboo barriers.

"To ensure public safety and maintain public order, police have to take necessary action to remove the barriers at the occupied spots so that traffic can be partially resumed," police said in a statement.

Some protesters were visibly distressed. "We are only residents and students," one protestor shouted according to AFP. "We will leave as we are unable to fight you but we will not give up."

At the start of the protests last month thousands of people were on the streets, with hundreds sleeping there overnight. However, numbers have dwindled in recent days.

Over the weekend, Hong Kong's embattled leader CY Leung said the protestors had zero chance of changing Beijing's mind on constitutional reform.

He added that the protest movement had spun out of control

Monoriu

Overall I think this is a pretty good day for the government.  The strategic initiative has definitely shifted to the government's side.  Every day, the police make an announcement about what streets they intend to clear on the next day.  And today, the police accomplished their objectives fully.  Tomorrow's objective is Mong Kok.  Their "remove objects, not people" strategy has worked so far, and there is very little resistance.  The police threats are becoming credible, and they have tangible results to show for their efforts.  The scene of police motorcycles in formation leading columns of traffic into the liberated roads looks like a victory parade. 

Meanwhile, the rioters struggle to come up with a counter.  Ever since the government cut off planned talks with them, they are just sitting ducks watching the occupation areas shrink day after day.  Their only response when something happens is to ask people to show up in the camps.  The problem is this will soon become "cry wolf" if used too many times.  They are now reduced to parrying police moves, with no new ideas, no results, no roadmap to success, and no hope for the future.  Every day, the central government esculates its war of words, and the HK government repeats its stonewall stance of no negotiations and no backdowns.  The rioters can't be more angry and they completely denounce this government as totally hopeless.  But as their bargaining chips are taken away from them one by one, any slim hope of reaching the negotiation table before public support falls apart now looks like an illusion. 

Monoriu

Rioters occupied Lun Wo road, a secondary east-west road near midnight, to "compensate" for the loss of Queesway.  Police pepper sprayed them, dismantled the roadblocks and made mass arrests.  Lun Wo road now completely liberated.  First time since tear gas was fired in late September that police used pepper spray on this scale.  Confrontation between rioters and riot police in a nearby park now. 

Police have made it clear that they will not tolerate any new occupation zones. 

Monoriu

Party Secretary General Xi, the highest authority in China, has finally spoken.  As expected, he has been quoted as saying there is absolutely no room whatsoever to change his stance on Hong Kong's elections.  The riots in HK are an attempt to overthrow the communist regime.  If the central government gives any ground in HK, Xinjiang and Tibet will fall. 

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Monoriu on October 14, 2014, 05:28:43 PM
If the central government gives any ground in HK, Xinjiang and Tibet will fall.

:lol:

DGuller

Reading Mono these days is like watching Russian news on TV.

Monoriu

Quote from: DGuller on October 14, 2014, 05:42:41 PM

Yet you still read it :hug:

Monoriu

45 people have been arrested in Lun Wo road.  All eyes are on Mongkok as police gave advanced notice yesterday that they would do the area.  Angry residents have dropped bags of shit (real shit) onto the rioters from their high rise flats. 

mongers

Quote from: DGuller on October 14, 2014, 05:42:41 PM

Save they have some quite attractive female newscasters on occasion.  :cool:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"