Dispatches from the State Ministry of Truth

Started by Jacob, September 22, 2014, 10:05:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maximus

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Martinus on October 11, 2014, 04:33:03 PM
Do you understand the meaning of the word "rioter", Mono?

He's demonstrated understanding of the term, it's his definition of "violence" that seems to be all his own.  He's so "corporations are people" that he thinks economic harm in reduced business equates to bodily harm or destruction of property.
Experience bij!

Monoriu

My tax dollars are finally at work.  Hundreds of police in riot gear are working in Central now to remove some of the unattended road barricades, right under the nose of the rioters and in front of dozens of cameras.  Finally they've grown some spine.  They took out a barricade in Mong Kok yesterday. 

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Monoriu

Quote from: Ed Anger on October 12, 2014, 06:55:18 PM
Needs more tanks.

It is very simple.  They should hope that the HK police successfully clears them.  Because if the police fail for the second time, the third time will be done by an outside contractor  :ph34r:

To nobody's surprise, the mainland media are beginning to call this the Chinese version of the "Colour revolutions", and that western intelligence agencies are behind. 

Eddie Teach

Cause mainland Chinese will believe anything, amirite?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Monoriu

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on October 12, 2014, 07:13:40 PM

They don't.  Communist propaganda is recognised as such.  Fool me once, and so on. 

The point is, that is what Beijing thinks.  Beijing considers what is happening in HK a colour revolution supported by western governments.  They think it is a threat to the Party's existance. 

CountDeMoney

They think everything is a threat to the Party's existence.

Monoriu

Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 12, 2014, 07:29:42 PM
They think everything is a threat to the Party's existence.

Exactly.  And they are probably right.  If they give in to the rioters' demands, what stops hundreds of thousands of people from going to Tian An Men again?  I mean, if several hundred people gather there, they can arrest them all easily.  What if one tenth the population of Beijing suddenly engages in civil disobedience?  That's already well over a million people.  It isn't like the communists are widely-loved, and they know it.  There is a reason why the communists have survived for so long after the fall of the communist regimes in the Soviet Union and Eastern Europe.  Because they are careful and they take all threats seriously. 

Tonitrus

Quote from: Monoriu on October 12, 2014, 07:21:22 PM

They don't.  Communist propaganda is recognised as such.  Fool me once, and so on. 

The point is, that is what Beijing thinks.  Beijing considers what is happening in HK a colour revolution supported by western governments.  They think it is a threat to the Party's existance.

I doubt even the CCP leadership really believes that.  More likely they see that that sort of propaganda works in Russia, and there really isn't anything better to say, so trot out the ol' "evil foreigners" line.  People who don't believe wouldn't believe anything anyway, and its makes a convenient line for the gullible people who will believe it, and the paranoid rank-and-file inside the Party.

DontSayBanana

You know, we Americans might have our problems, but at least we don't try to blame every significant incident of civil unrest on foreign provocateurs.
Experience bij!

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Monoriu on October 12, 2014, 07:40:50 PM
There is a reason why the communists have survived for so long after the fall of the communist regimes in the Soviet Union and Eastern Europe.  Because they are careful and they take all threats seriously.

I thought the reason was because they gave up communism and started making money hand over fist.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

CountDeMoney

Quote from: DontSayBanana on October 12, 2014, 08:16:32 PM
You know, we Americans might have our problems, but at least we don't try to blame every significant incident of civil unrest on foreign provocateurs.

It's always worked before when it comes to authoritarianism; and especially, as Tonitrus stated, the Chinese have a special funny bone when it comes to foreigners.

Monoriu

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on October 12, 2014, 08:20:13 PM
Quote from: Monoriu on October 12, 2014, 07:40:50 PM
There is a reason why the communists have survived for so long after the fall of the communist regimes in the Soviet Union and Eastern Europe.  Because they are careful and they take all threats seriously.

I thought the reason was because they gave up communism and started making money hand over fist.

That too :yes:

Monoriu

Quote from: Tonitrus on October 12, 2014, 08:16:05 PM
Quote from: Monoriu on October 12, 2014, 07:21:22 PM

I doubt even the CCP leadership really believes that.  More likely they see that that sort of propaganda works in Russia, and there really isn't anything better to say, so trot out the ol' "evil foreigners" line.  People who don't believe wouldn't believe anything anyway, and its makes a convenient line for the gullible people who will believe it, and the paranoid rank-and-file inside the Party.

Oh they believe it.  It isn't just the CCP leadership.  You have never listened to what the loyalist parties in HK say on a daily basis.  They are still stuck in the 19th century mindset that foreigners want to colonise and divide up China.