Dispatches from the State Ministry of Truth

Started by Jacob, September 22, 2014, 10:05:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Monoriu on October 04, 2014, 10:03:51 PM
Pretty sure there were no tanks in the 18th century  :P

Joking aside, I don't think comparisons with the French revolution are valid at all.  As I have said many times, the closest parallel is Tian An Men, and we all know how it ended. 

Actually, I think it would get uglier.  China's trade deficit should make them loathe to do what they did at Tian An Men, since it'd be a lot easier for other countries to find out even quicker this time around.

If they're going to go the suppression route, it would need to look like a struggle, which would involve propping up "revolutionaries" just enough for a weeks- or even months-long crackdown.  If you've got problems with a bunch of students sitting around in the street, I don't think you'd last long in a situation of serious political upheaval.
Experience bij!

Monoriu

Quote from: DontSayBanana on October 04, 2014, 10:08:30 PM
Pretty sure there were no tanks in the 18th century  :P

Joking aside, I don't think comparisons with the French revolution are valid at all.  As I have said many times, the closest parallel is Tian An Men, and we all know how it ended. 

Actually, I think it would get uglier.  China's trade deficit should make them loathe to do what they did at Tian An Men, since it'd be a lot easier for other countries to find out even quicker this time around.

If they're going to go the suppression route, it would need to look like a struggle, which would involve propping up "revolutionaries" just enough for a weeks- or even months-long crackdown.  If you've got problems with a bunch of students sitting around in the street, I don't think you'd last long in a situation of serious political upheaval.

Like I said earlier, all major Chinese cities are now equipped with armed police forces trained in the art of non-lethal force.  They now have the option of removing large crowds without causing too many deaths.  The international reaction will be mild if nobody dies.

Valmy

With the martyrs of Tian An Men being heroic inspirations to the rest of the world?  Revolutionary heroes who will never be forgotten?  Damn straight.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Monoriu

Quote from: Valmy on October 04, 2014, 10:11:24 PM

With the martyrs of Tian An Men being heroic inspirations to the rest of the world?  Revolutionary heroes who will never be forgotten?  Damn straight.

A determined HK/Chinese government can remove tens of thousands of rioters without resorting to killing anyone.  Such an episode will be forgotten in the rest of the world soon. 

Valmy

Quote from: Monoriu on October 04, 2014, 10:13:43 PM
A determined HK/Chinese government can remove tens of thousands of rioters without resorting to killing anyone.  Such an episode will be forgotten in the rest of the world soon. 

These days even if they did murder them all it would be forgotten, the 24 hour new cycle is awfully fickle.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Admiral Yi

Quote from: DontSayBanana on October 04, 2014, 09:45:58 PM
Exactly.  That's the whole point of a protest.  To draw greater attention to the issue, force people to pick sides.  Hell, the protest has even been partially successful in your case- it's taken you from apathy to extreme support of the government.

A protest that doesn't bother anyone is pointless.

You don't seem very happy with the people side people are picking.

The purpose of a protest is to demonstrate to the authorities and the public at large that people very strongly about an issue.  This can be done just as easily in a park as it can in the middle of a highway.

What these protesters are trying to do is impose their minority position on the majority.  Either we get our way, or everybody goes down in flames.

Valmy

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 04, 2014, 10:16:30 PM
The purpose of a protest is to demonstrate to the authorities and the public at large that people very strongly about an issue.  This can be done just as easily in a park as it can in the middle of a highway.

Well I guess that is true.  The Tian An Men people didn't block any roads....and look how that turned out Mono.

Monoriu

Quote from: Valmy on October 04, 2014, 10:18:17 PM

Well I guess that is true.  The Tian An Men people didn't block any roads....and look how that turned out Mono.

I've been to Tian An Men.  That place really can contain hundreds of thousands of people. 

Valmy

Quote from: Monoriu on October 04, 2014, 10:20:03 PM
I've been to Tian An Men.  That place really can contain hundreds of thousands of people. 

I guess there is no place like that in tightly packed Hong Kong?  Like a HK Central Park?

Monoriu

Quote from: Valmy on October 04, 2014, 10:21:06 PM
Quote from: Monoriu on October 04, 2014, 10:20:03 PM

I guess there is no place like that in tightly packed Hong Kong?  Like a HK Central Park?

We have that, actually.  The rioters have been advised to go there, but of course they refuse.  See Don'tSayBanana above for the reason  :yucky:

Admiral Yi

Quote from: DontSayBanana on October 04, 2014, 10:08:30 PM

Pretty sure China is running a substantial trade surplus.

Jacob

What these protesters are trying to do is impose their minority position on the majority.  Either we get our way, or everybody goes down in flames.

Awh man, if only there was some sort of system of governance where the majority had a way to voice their opinion.

Valmy

Quote from: Jacob on October 04, 2014, 11:30:08 PM

Awh man, if only there was some sort of system of governance where the majority had a way to voice their opinion.

Hong Kong switch to that to head off future disturbances.

Admiral Yi

There are.

Valmy

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 05, 2014, 12:02:14 AM

There are.

:frusty: