Dispatches from the State Ministry of Truth

Started by Jacob, September 22, 2014, 10:05:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed Anger

I can't wait for some hot tank on protester action
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Monoriu on October 04, 2014, 09:34:14 PM
I am a loser too.  I failed to become a financial wizard.  Do I go occupy roads, prevent others from going to work, pick an impossible fight with Beijing and risk PLA tanks rolling in, and demand more welfare?  Life is tough for most, but we all can make the most out of it instead of dragging everybody down with your problems.  You want to demonstrate?  Do so in a park and nobody will complain.

Exactly.  That's the whole point of a protest.  To draw greater attention to the issue, force people to pick sides.  Hell, the protest has even been partially successful in your case- it's taken you from apathy to extreme support of the government.

A protest that doesn't bother anyone is pointless.
Experience bij!

Monoriu

The official mainland media is using increasingly combative language to describe events, and there is greater coverage.  I think Beijing increasingly views this as Tian An Men 2.0.  They publicly admit that 1989 almost ended the party.  It is no longer a skin disease, but a life and death struggle. 

Monoriu

Quote from: DontSayBanana on October 04, 2014, 09:45:58 PM
Quote from: Monoriu on October 04, 2014, 09:34:14 PM
I am a loser too.  I failed to become a financial wizard.  Do I go occupy roads, prevent others from going to work, pick an impossible fight with Beijing and risk PLA tanks rolling in, and demand more welfare?  Life is tough for most, but we all can make the most out of it instead of dragging everybody down with your problems.  You want to demonstrate?  Do so in a park and nobody will complain.

Exactly.  That's the whole point of a protest.  To draw greater attention to the issue, force people to pick sides.  Hell, the protest has even been partially successful in your case- it's taken you from apathy to extreme support of the government.

A protest that doesn't bother anyone is pointless.

A lot of things are better left ambiguous, or unsaid.  I for one don't want Beijing to pick a side too, for I know which side they'll pick.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Monoriu on October 04, 2014, 09:48:15 PM
The official mainland media is using increasingly combative language to describe events, and there is greater coverage.  I think Beijing increasingly views this as Tian An Men 2.0.  They publicly admit that 1989 almost ended the party.  It is no longer a skin disease, but a life and death struggle.

No doubt they gain a great deal of assurance from the unquestioning support from the HK civil service.

Valmy

Overreact much Beijing?

Anyway I hope all the corpses and burning buildings do not block your way to work.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Monoriu

Quote from: Valmy on October 04, 2014, 09:51:37 PM

Overreact much Beijing?

Anyway I hope all the corpses and burning buildings do not block your way to work.

Ever since this started, I have sworn to myself that, even if I have to walk past tanks and piles of bodies on the ground, I will go back to work. 

Valmy

Quote from: Monoriu on October 04, 2014, 09:54:30 PM
Ever since this started, I have sworn to myself that, even if I have to walk past tanks and piles of bodies on the ground, I will go back to work. 

Yeah that was what the Governor of the Bastille said.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Ed Anger

I'd sit on my giant pile of TP and MRE's.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

DontSayBanana

Mono, have you completely forgotten your Canadian passport?  If you're that worried about stability, you could go somewhere less unstable.

Seriously, your stubbornness dips to idiotic levels sometimes.
Experience bij!

Monoriu

Quote from: Valmy on October 04, 2014, 09:59:31 PM
Quote from: Monoriu on October 04, 2014, 09:54:30 PM

Yeah that was what the Governor of the Bastille said.

Pretty sure there were no tanks in the 18th century  :P

Joking aside, I don't think comparisons with the French revolution are valid at all.  As I have said many times, the closest parallel is Tian An Men, and we all know how it ended. 

Monoriu

Quote from: DontSayBanana on October 04, 2014, 10:03:05 PM
Mono, have you completely forgotten your Canadian passport?  If you're that worried about stability, you could go somewhere less unstable.

Seriously, your stubbornness dips to idiotic levels sometimes.

I think we have known each other for over 10 years now.  I am sure you have heard some variation of "I can't get a job in Canada", right? 

Valmy

Isn't he counting on his retirement fund or something?  Does he get to keep that if he flees to Halifax, Nova Scotia?

Camerus

I gotta say, Mono's got one hell of a good troll going. :lol:

Monoriu

Quote from: Camerus on October 04, 2014, 10:06:54 PM
I gotta say, Mono's got one hell of a good troll going. :lol:

Does this mean that I am a "genuinely bad person", according to a neighbouring thread?  ;)